Head bolts... Reuse?.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello.
In process of head gasket replacement on my 2012 Spanish Nissan Navara D40 St-X Diesel.

Can head bolts be reused?.

Cheers Carl
I wouldn't, whenever I've pulled a head off, I've always replaced the bolts, especially if there are improved aftermarket options.

Those bolts have been changing shape for many years of heat and pressure, best to replace them.

out of curiosity, what happened? did she overheat and pop the head gasket? or you just randomly noticed a power drop / compression loss / milky oil, etc?

I've heard that the moment they run a bit warm (overheat) they love to pop the gasket or crack the head

I'm running the YD25 Diesel as well.

Hi just to add the main reason you never reuse head bolts is the fact when you tension them they stretch by design to put appropriate tension on the head gasket so if you reuse them they have no stretch left in them and they will not do the job they are designed for and can also break when you go to tension them or under the engine pressure later it just isn’t worth the risk

Latest posts

Back