Fuel pre-filter. Necessary?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marked

Reaction score
The daughter's nav has a fuel pre-filter/water separator mounted down on a chassis rail. A quick google says it is used on massey ferguson tractors. Having purchased a standard filter in advance of a planned filter change, I am now wondering whether we should just bypass the pre-filter until such time as she might be concerned about where her fuel is coming from, and just rely on the factory filter while she is fueling up at suburban fuel stations? Would value the opinions on here ...

1000000889.jpg

Here's an alternative question to get some more thinking/discussion happening:

I wonder how many times that extra filter has saved the engine?

You could bypass it. But if there aren't any issues with fuel delivery, it's a protective device that isn't hurting so it can only be doing good. To be fair though, the fuel filter system in the D40 has a water sensor that sits in the bottom (that's what the electrical connection to the filter is).

Given an intermittent P0093 fault code, I am also looking to eliminate possible failure points ...

The daughter's nav has a fuel pre-filter/water separator mounted down on a chassis rail. A quick google says it is used on massey ferguson tractors. Having purchased a standard filter in advance of a planned filter change, I am now wondering whether we should just bypass the pre-filter until such time as she might be concerned about where her fuel is coming from, and just rely on the factory filter while she is fueling up at suburban fuel stations? Would value the opinions on here ...

View attachment 37852
Hi we change our prefilter once a year

In Australia our fuel is 90% of a good quality, Diesel from notable companies ie; BP, Shell, and Ampol should provide stress free filling. I would avoid United and any others along those discount brands. The importance of regular vehicle maintenance can’t be overstated, secondly there is some belief that you shouldn’t fill up after a fuel delivery to the service station, I have a 2014 D22 and never had any fuel issues, if you are intending to visit remote areas and still have concerns, place the second fuel filter before the factory filter.

Latest posts

Back