cv joint advise sort from fraser island

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarsc10

Reaction score
G'day all. Am after some advise regarding the integridy of the cv joints in the first series d22. I have arrived on fraser island late yesty, staying at kingfisher resort for 6 nights and had planed on doing day trips around the island with the wife and 2year old. However after our first adventure today across the island both of my cv's have started clicking pretty badly. My question is will they fail totally, leaving 2wd only, if i continue to drive and put up with the clicking? Or should i just kick back here at kingfisher, enjoy a few beers round the pool and not have to stress about getting home? Cheers.

I am going to suggest you probably have split the rubber boots, ingested some sand into the CV and driving in 4wd is just wrecking them really fast. I suggest takin it easy by the pool. Its gunna be tough but I am sure you can man up for the task :) LOL

My dad had a shitty old Magna and from the day he bought it it had a noisy CV. 4 years later when the motor died, the CV was still going strong. Big risk if your far from home and have little ones onboard..

Last edited:
Hahaha. Cheers mate. Probably the safest option. Would of been good to see a bit more of whats over here thats all.

In winter the tracks aren't to bad, you could probably get away with it, just let your tyres down a bit more, probably not a good idea though.

could maybe be your timing chain as well?

Last edited:
Drive around in 2wd with the hubs unlocked and enjoy Fraser.

I went over last year with my old man in his triton and they have auto locking hubs. Which failed on the first day. Let the tires down a bit more and only needed to be recovered once in 4days. And you still have the option of putting it in 4wd if it looks really soft. But keep in mind if your there by yourself there may not be anyone there to tow u out.

itl be right it will have to be replaced when you get home anyway and is very unlikely to break if it just started clicking
As said above it will have a split boot and sand will be getting in there and destroying it however I've had a stuffed on for 2+years in my old ute same as what your describing never broke and have a mate that had it for longer. It's not good but force is what's make them snap not grit or sanding slowly grinding away in there. If beach is hard drop pressure and go 2wd if not still drop pressure and shel be good even if you leave your hubs in but just don't engage 4wd on the transfer leaver except where it is needed.
Enjoy frasier :)

Last edited:
yeah they will be ok, use 2wd where you can and 4x4 if you need to, i know someone that did 3000km in a subaru witha busted boot through dirt and sand aswell!

bryan

Thanks for the replies. Still in two minds. The inland tracks are pretty tough going at the moment, just due to the lack of rain and very powdery conditions. Got bogged once yesty and also assisted three other cars bogged inland throughout the day, so 2wd is not an option. We did get a shower of rain last night so that might help things a bit.

The track out of kingfisher is a c*nt, last I saw of it there was drops as tall as a person on the west track as you went down, probably one of the worst on the island, the one into eurong from central station can be shit to, oh and go check out lake birrabeen if you want lake mckenzie with 1/10 the people.

Yeah the track out of kingfisher is a lot more serious than i thought it would be(its our first time over here and was expecting tracks to be a fair bit milder). I was speaking to a bloke today who said he'd helped recover 5 cars and that even the tour buses were doing it tough. He also said they were waiting for some rain before some track maintanence would be carried out. Anyway finally got around to having a good look at the nav and yep both cv boots have fair size splits in them. Might have a few more beers and think about whether to venture out again or not.

If you have seen the track out/into kingfisher bay you would be able to understand his apprehension.

If this were facebook, i would "like" your post 180 lol. The track is not real flash ay.

yea for a multi million dollar resort you would think they could fix their track, outside the resort property though I think the rangers do a pretty good job of maintaining the islands tracks considering the abuse they cop each day from the tour buses and backpacker troopies driving on them.

Latest posts

Back