Brake problems with D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had front brakes done about 5000km ago (@ 35,000). New pads and machined the rotors. I got aftermarket pads for the same reasons as every else here - the standard ones are dusty as hell. I like the look of those drilled and slotted rotors. The brakes on D40's are bloody crap, although in fairness it is the first land barge I've owned, so in comparison they might be quite good???

I got aftermarket pads for the same reasons as every else here - the standard ones are dusty as hell.

What brand did you get, and are you happy with their performance? I don't just mean the level of dust, I'm also referring to braking ability, braking endurance (resistance to heat effects, or "brake fade") and is the wear rate higher or lower than the factory fitted pads?

I think Nissan did a crappy job of machining the discs, i think they did it with some old sandpaper by the looks of it. this has made my brakes feel very gritty under-foot and is not a true reflection on the actual feel of the new brake pads. As for braking performance, no noticable difference. I have always found my brakes to be very uneven, eg: when you hit the brakes with some decent force, each wheels seems to have different brake force. And it changes as you brake. i don't know whether it's just an over-active ABS or EDB system that doesn't work too well or what, but it doesn't feel good. In saying that, maybe that's how it's supposed to work, but I have never been much of a fan of electronic systems on cars, I kind of miss my basic, interactive cars of years gone by. They are predictable and consistent, new cars are quite the opposite, but are meant for people who don't know how to really drive a car, and have a feel for the vehicle they are in.

I had front brakes done about 5000km ago (@ 35,000). New pads and machined the rotors. I got aftermarket pads for the same reasons as every else here - the standard ones are dusty as hell. I like the look of those drilled and slotted rotors. The brakes on D40's are bloody crap, although in fairness it is the first land barge I've owned, so in comparison they might be quite good???

If you use your D40 off road then don't fit cross drilled rotors. Slotted by all means the holes fill with mud and gunk and this in turn can turn to a ceramic like filling.

Well I now have 50k on the new brakes and most are hard miles shall we say.I use the truck on the racetrack and am very heavy on the brakes . Can have the ABS kick in on a dry flat track .Brakes work fine still but starting to squeel a little. Have checked the pads and have at least 5mm left on all pads .
Bugger all dust and it does stop when you really want it to so would recomend the DBA rotors and Hawke pads to anyone especially on roaders

i have previously used hawk performance pads on my nissan skyline. they were better than any other brand i've tried, and i went through all the brands for circuit racing.

not sure if they have the same composition for the navaras but they always had a strong initial bite which progressively increased as you got on the brakes.

i'd be keen on getting a set for the nav

New STX went in for 1000K inspection this week. When I mentioned the excessive brake dust on the front wheels (they were black after 300K) the service mgr just said that was normal and expect to be replacing pads and rotors at around 30,000K with the variable being how hard the brakes are used. When I asked why the don't last his explanation was along the lines of better tolerences and stopping ability at the expense of component life. Guess I will have to wait n see and in the meantime read up on my warranty provisions.
Cheers.....Phill

The STX brakes have to comply with some retared European standard and part of that is soft rotors and dusty pads. I now have like 60 on my current setup and zero issues and still heaps of Pad left. No dust either.

brake problems ripoff

yea guys had my navara d40 do its 30.000km service got a call from the service department telling me i had to change front discs and pads after arguing for 10min as at 20.000km service report they said that the next service i only had to change brake pads and now i had to do the the discs as well he told me that they are only rated at 30.000ks.
I said to him why dosent he machien the discs he said that if they did that te will be to thin and would warp.
My d40 has never towed or loaded somthin big to were the discs out well after that it cost me $730 for the front discs and pads and all up with the service $1070 what a rip of like ownig a bmw x5 hahah

the next day ended up calling nissan australia telling them the delema the guy i was talking to coudent say nothing and was chooseing his words cearfully the only posative thing he said was to go back to the dealer were i perchesed the car from and fill in a reacuest to get it on warranty and to get your money reinburst but he said it was not a garuanty
will let you guys know of the outcome

The brakes on my D40 were poor. And yes I too had to replace the pads and rotors at 30k which I was VERY surprised at shall we say. The ABS system was violent and inadequate as well.

d40brake prob

yea a bit shit that it cant last more then 30,000 ks and the way the servise department guy said itd every 30.000ks kia would have done a better job

I have noticed that no one in this Forum states the year of their vehicle. I guess for this Forum Nissan only made one model of a truck under the name Navara.

Well seeing as this thread has been resurrected after many years, I can say that my pads, discs, shoes and drums have not been replaced since the vehicle was purchased new in 2011 and have travelled well in excess of 200,000ks.

It's sometimes good to see an old thread resurface.

I'm about to replace my rotors (July 2009 manufacture STX YD25), I'm getting rhythmic feedback through the brake pedal when the discs get warm (downhill with 2.5 tonnes behind her). I'd say it's probably a warped disc. These are my THIRD discs - my first (factory) set wore out after 40,000km and I replaced the 2nd set with DBA slotted rotors (I think somewhere around the 140,000km mark) and these have lasted until now (last fuel fill on 6th Apr at 383,234km).

I don't think there's a huge increase in braking performance with the slotted rotors and I am tempted to just go plain for the next set to see if there's a marked change in braking performance. I don't recall a big issue with plain discs and water (we've done our share of water crossings, including several that had the water lapping onto the windscreen).

Nissan definately dropped the ball when it came to the brakes on thr D40 and R51
I diced mine at 14k and went to CompFriction and they fitted me out with DBA drilled and slotted with pads from Hawke Racing in the US specially modded to suit the truck. Stops well and no dust .

NavaraBrakes005.jpg
How much $

Latest posts

Back