2005 turbo diesel or 2004 v6

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnoddie

Reaction score
Hi All
Im looking at buying a vehicle to toe a 2.5 ton boat on weekends & run around building sites in the city during the week.
A dual cab sounds good but im not sure if i go a 3.0 litre turbo diesel 2005 model or a 2004 v6 str 3.3.
Are the turbo diesels under powered & do they have much better fuel economy than the v6?

Ive seen a 2004 str v6 3.3 petrol with 48000 kms for 22k, in very good condition & has hard cover.

I dont do much offroad apart from a few hunting trips, Im looking at spending around 15-20k

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Peter

I got a average out of my tank a few weeks ago of 10.57L/100km's towing a empty car trailer to Sydney and a 1200kg car on the trailer on the way back. Thats about 400 or so km's.

The VG33E powered D22 is only rated for 2T towing anyway.

Greg,

Would you prefer a nissan patrol turbo diesel or a dual cab?

the dual cabs are rare & pretty pricy.

Thanks
Peter

Dave,

What vehicle would you choose in my situation?

Toyota hilux, nissan patrol or navara,misubishi triton?

Towing Fuel consumption is a big thing.

Ill be honest, A TB48DE powered GU Patrol would tow the boat awesome but use about 40L per 100km's doing so.

The 1KDFTE powered Hilux will tow it easily enough, you would get a early one for your money though. Earlier ones are known to have injector problems and as many clutch problems as the D40.

Need a dual cab ? I ain't really a TD42 man by any means but a GU cab chassis will tow it easily enough, just watch the hills though as they heat up but driven properly, dont cause any dramas.

2.5T is the legal limit for the GU Cab chassis's. They run a different tow bar to the wagons.

A 1HDFTE powered Landcruiser will do the job easily enough to. However I dont like your chances of finding one for that price.

Triton's are great ute to, another option aswell. The 3.2L TD Pajero's go alright to.

I am happy with my ZD30 powered D22, gets the work done and bring me home.

A pajero sounds k il look up the 3.2 td pajero u suggested.
i suppose i could push up the rear seats for tools etc.

If i go the 2005 td dual cab, do u know of any problems with them? do they toe up to 3 tonnes?
or should i look at a later model........

STR's are rated for 2.8T towing capacity in the diesels.

The V6 STR is rated at 2T towing capacity.

2005 serviced correctly should give no trouble.

My 2006 model has 200,000km's and still good.

Back