oil cooler on turbo diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
we all know about how hot the turbo gets under load, as well as engine, etc.
i have fitted a turbo timer as a start.
i have a fmic kit coming when i get the funds.
just wondering, anyone know of any oil cooler kits?

Thankyou

In the D22 Service Manual (LC.PDF p31) it looks like there's an oil cooler on the side of the block already. It's not in the airstream near the radiator, which is what you're after.

My D40 has a transmission oil cooler below the radiator. I don't think I'd have room for an engine oil cooler (like a motorcycle has) without compromising something.

I'm not sure these engines need it, since engine cooling is achieved by the radiator. I think your fitting a TT is an exceptional step in prevention, as long as it monitors EGT (exhaust gas temperature) and doesn't just use a simple countdown.

d22's have a water-oil cooler in the block behind the oil filter.
problem with adding an external one is trying to tap into the oil flow. i've yet to see an adaptor for these type of oil filters. otherwise you would have to tap into the existing oil pipes in the housing.
then theres the risk of the oil cooler and lines being hit by objects while out 4x4ing.

Ah ok, never realized there was already one on the block, the tt is just a countdown Bogaard. I think I'll just be happy with a transmission cooler I'll fit in front behind bull bar. What's the cooling system attached to the radiator, there is more than just wAter/coolant flowing. There are a couple other hoses aswell?

cooler sits in the coolant passage of the block. the coolant is cooler than the oil. its a good simple setup.

I'd figured that's what you were after, but since the radiator cools the coolant, and the coolant cools the oil, the D22 already does a fair job already.

If your engine isn't overheating, then it's doing exactly what it was designed to do and shouldn't need the extra cooling. If it IS overheating, since there are many, many other D22s roaming the deserts of Australia without issue, I'd be looking at a fault in your engine first, rather than putting an additional cooler in which would really just mask an underlying problem and could result in a catastrophic failure.

If you're just playing it safe and making sure that you're giving your engine the best chance it can of not having a problem (which has a caveat on its own) then by all means add the cooler. Don't put it in front of the radiator, because engine oil is very, very hot and the radiator doesn't need that much heat added to it. Put it in the airstream below the radiator if possible, but above a bash/stone plate.

The caveat mentioned: adding tubing, hose clamps and widgets to such a vital system like your engine oil circulation system will add a significant failure point. Things could go wrong with the cooler, with the hose clamps, with the hoses. If the cooler itself gets blocked by a thousand locusts it's no big deal because the oil doesn't NEED this additional cooling, but if the oil is pumped out of the engine because there's a split in the hose or a clamp has come loose, then it's a MAJOR deal.

Also, your engine oil capacity rises by the capacity of the hoses and cooler, so it needs to be accounted for in future oil changes.

You have to find the balance. The D22 is already a strong, reliable engine. It performs very well in the harshest extremes Australia has to offer. Adding insurance like this adds risk as well - is it worth it? That's up to you.

Personally I'm looking into a misting system for my intercooler which will just happen to help everything else as well - engine, gearbox and radiator cooling will all improve with it - without the risk of compromising the engine oil.

as above......the hoses etc become a weak point.
however the biggest problem is how do you tap into the oil supply. afaik no ones makes an adaptor for these style of oil filters. most likely you will have to tap into the oil lines in the oil filter/cooler assembly. there is a risk that will crack the alloy housing to.

the other way would be to fit an external oil pump and fit a pick up and return in the sump.

if you do fit a cooler use a bar and fin type rather than the tube type thats shown in that link. they work much better.

you tap into it with the oil filter relocation adapter, which is in the link.
also, very valid points for more weak points, however cooler oil equals more power and better fuel efficiency aswell.
we proven with the sr20det and gtir engine

you tap into it with the oil filter relocation adapter, which is in the link.
also, very valid points for more weak points, however cooler oil equals more power and better fuel efficiency aswell.
we proven with the sr20det and gtir engine

have you looked at the engines oil filter ????
if so you would have noticed its not the standard screw on filter most vehicles use. its a cartridge filter and the adaptor pictured in the link will not fit.

i was thinking that.
i have emailed the company, they are trying to get back to me with an adapter size that will fit.

but i will be installing it above the engine as a top mount, and am installing a bonnet scoop for the cool air flow

interesting, should work quite well. oil temp is well above engine bay temp so heat soak is not an issue.

let us know if you find an adaptor, i haven't seen one before. otherwise you might be able to get a machine shop to make you one.

ill see how i go, otherwise i might just re-route the current oil cooler to this one.
ill keep you all posted..

can't see a way to re-route the current cooler. would be far easier to run external pump ie pump it out of pan into cooler then back into pan.

:hang3: Sorry to revive a dead thread but I have just installed an oil cooler.
I bought this kit off ebay which comes with a plate that goes between the oil filter and the block to feed and return oil.
I mounted the cooler behind the bull bar but well in front of the radiator to reduce heat transfer.
Anyway here are a few pics of the cooler.
oilcooler.jpgIMG_20120204_102157.jpgIMG_20120204_102812.jpgIMG_20120204_102831.jpg

The EGT drop away a lot quicker than before and it seems to run a bit cooler. I would recommend doing this IF you have upped your boost and are running a high setting on a chip.

Latest posts

Back