Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Main Forum

How to Stretch life of an old D40
Old 28-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Default How to Stretch life of an old D40

Hi everyone. New here. I'm a bit late on the scene. Had my 2007 D40 STX since new. Only clocked 130K in all these years of ownership. Only taken it off road a few times a year into the high country. Hardly any issues encountered as I drive it with a mild foot and I don't tow and it has been serviced by Nissan every 10K.

Its only recent that I have read up about the myriad of issues that plague the D40 and it appears that there is a line in the sand about its longevity. It was very disheartening to read but I have not had any issues with the car to date. Touchwood! I am seeing less and less of these vehicles on the road so that is not a good sign, but I need to move on and address what I can address.

That being so, I can't afford to sell this vehicle as I have invested alot of money in it recently trying to set it up for some long distance touring. I have plans to get a lift kit and new suspension and GVM upgrade. Also, I just wouldn't get much for it now so I don't see the point in selling it or moving onto a new platform. Perhaps I'll just keep it as a tourer/camper.

So my question is what should I do and in what order should I do it, to get more life out of this vehicle.

I am thinking firstly

1 - I should replace the Timing Chain with YD25.com.au's conversion kit. At 130K I might be pushing it, but I have read and seen D40s / Pathfinders doing more than 200K without changing theirs.

2 - Perhaps next would be to do something about the auto transmission / radiator problem? My ATF looks dark brown now, so I think I need to service it, but luckily its not got water in it.

3 - Get some underbody protection.

4 - Strengthen the chassis at rear suspension.

On a lighter note, perhaps I should just get a Hilux? KD

What do you guys think? Idealy, I would like to keep this vehicle until I no longer want to tour and camp. Would be interested to get Old.Tony's wisdom on this too if he's still around.

Thanks guys. I'd like to get this conversation started.
Sponsored Links

Old 29-11-2019, 12:30 AM

Ok here we go

D40s might have some glitches that need to be ironed out, but no more than most other modern 4wds. So i think feeling a need to upgrade is not required.
Dont forget the injector problems with the early common rail hiluxes were as expensive if not more than upgrading a timing chain on a d40

We have new rangers and dmaxs at work and my 07 d40 has a much nicer ride and better steering by far, so overall a more comfortable and quality feeling vehicle all round

This is how i tackled the issues you list;

1. Timing chain
I did my d40 with the german made iwis timing chain kit from yd25.com.au. Paul at yd25 supplied all the gear, including the heavy duty aftermarket chain, genuine nissan tensioners and guides, and custom made dual row sprockets. Brilliant stuff

2. Davies craig do a trans oil cooler kit. Its easy to fit, you just disconnect the piping to the oil cooler in the radiator and attach to the new oil cooler
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...002210#start=3

3. Got my underbody plates from ebay. Aussie made and came with all bolts and clever little wires attached to hold the nuts while you fix the plates to the vehicle. I then sprayed with underbody bitumen paint
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302645649275

4. Superior engineering make chassis strengthening plates to suit the d40. They were a perfect fit and my friend whos a welder got them on easy
https://www.superiorengineering.com....h-models-21680

Old 29-11-2019, 12:31 AM

Also, blocking the EGR and fitting a catch can is essential

Old 29-11-2019, 12:36 AM

Garage

Don't be put off by what could happen, you only hear about problems people encounter, rarely do people brag about how good there car is.
point 1. My 06 has 260kplus, engine has never been touched, still quiet as a mouse. you can get the chain tolerances checked for piece of mind. yes, plenty have let go, but more haven't.
2. my auto only got serviced for the first time at 240k. Same as yours, the oil was black, but everything was in good order, so don't stress. If you doing heavy towing, maybe think about an external cooler.
3. definitely get a bash plate, at least for the radiator/engine. i have a brown/davis. Radiator protection is a must.
4. all you generally need is a 2" lift. Don't get airbags, or do any strengthening, as it only creates engineering, and insurance issues.
they are good cars, despite the criticism, and all the other brands aren't immune they all have their own issues. Yes Tony is still around, i'm sure he will agree with my thoughts!

Old 29-11-2019, 02:23 AM

Hey guys, glad to see some examples of D40s still ticking along. Much appreciated.

@Czechmate, Thanks for the links. Is the bash plates you were referring to the one done by Custom Offroad? Would you do the upgrades in the order I listed or would you do it differently?

@ericcs, @Czechmate Is the external cooler for the transmission all you need? I read somewhere that it still wasn't enough cooling or that after putting it on, the ATF takes a while to heat up effecting AT performance. (I think it was from an Old.Tony post) Any truth to this? Isolating it from the radiator is the sure way of not getting the cross contamination, so a cooler and radiator isolation should address this. How was your experience with it Czechmate? Auto still runs fine?

@ericcs Wouldn't a GVM upgrade necessitate the strengthening anyway or I could get the engineer to certify it along with the GVM. What do you think? I was looking at the getting the chassis weld plate from Superior Engineering that Czechmate listed.

@ericcs, So yours doesn't have a catch can as yet? I have put a catch can in mine and an extra fuel filter. Those were recent. Obviously theres oil caked and baked in the pipes and intercooler. I'll get the intercooler flushed in due course.

Czechmate, not sure I know what blocking EGR entails.

Would you guys recommend replacing the pipeworks especially all the radiator ones? It is more than 12 years old. I think YD25 do a kit, but not sure off the top of my head. However, my mechanic hasn't flagged any issues with it.

I was thinking about getting bash plates prior to taking it off road again and definitely after I do the transmission cooler or engine works. So its on the agenda.

about 2" lift, I've measured my suspension for sag and it really hasn't sagged at all I don't think. Measuring it against the official data shows that its higher. However, going over bumps is rough nowadays. Feels like its hitting the bump stops most of the time.

BTW, Mine is a Spanish Built. Getting upgrades for it was a little more tricky I have discovered recently, but certainly not impossible.

I really like my D40. Its done everything I have asked of it and now I need it to do more. Like cross the Simpson Desert more, or spend a week up in the high country and in mud more. I have found the D40 to be much more comfortable than a hilux and more roomier. Keeping it for longer is the plan.

Old 29-11-2019, 07:02 AM

Garage

you will definitely need a suspension upgrade regardless of ride height, as they have no ground clearance as standard. the moment you hook up a decent load, it will be on the stops. my 2" lift kit gave me 2.5" up front, and 3" at the back.
I'm sure Tony only has an after market oil cooler, and he tows a big van
Ivé been slack with fitting a catch can, still plan to, but fitted a egr blanking plate years ago(5 min job), and the car blows little smoke.
personally, i think you will find the Spanish models to be the better of the 2!

Old 29-11-2019, 10:56 PM

Mines a spain build 07 auto STX d40 so exactly the same as yours
I really like all the little euro touches you get in the STX, a lot of the components come from germany, france, uk, czech Republic etc. and are of very good quality

The bash plate set i bought was actually this 3 plate set from roadrunner offroad
https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au...-2005-2011-bas

The STX already has another external trans cooler in addition to the one in the radiator. So by adding the big Davies craig oil cooler you've actually got 2 external coolers then

i did realise you lose the warmup and the equalising factor when you no longer have the auto trans fluid running through the radiator, but as it never really gets below 0 degrees here i wasnt too worried
The trans fluid definitely doesnt get too hot with this arrangement , i did some sandy beach driving on a 40+ degree day, and had a suss of the fluid and it wasnt too hot at all

Those superior engineering chassis plates are just a weld on paint over minor brace for the rear frame. You cant even tell theyre on there once painted over
i certainly wouldnt go trying to put extra weight on the back of the ute because you've fitted them
I only did it because a few people have bent their utes in that spot (mainly with using airbags and towing offroad campers)

Thats not just d40s theres photos of all kinds of utes bent like a banana

Egr - small blanking plate you fit in betweem the egr tube and engine head. Costs a few bucks to buy from ebay, the genuine gaskets i bought to install around it cost a lot more than the plate
Catch can - mann hummel provent 200 no questions asked
Catch can -

Old 30-11-2019, 12:01 PM

@ericcs, Lift kit and suspension upgrade definitely on the agenda. Reckon I have to include a new UCA in that mix also from what I have read.
I was keen on the Ironman Foam Cell pros but some people have told me that they are too short for the D40. Only looking to do 2 inch front and 2.5" back.
Did you see much smoke come out of the exhaust when you put the Blanking Plate on?

@Czechmate Did those roadrunner plates cover your transfer case?

Also, Was the davies craig trans cooler easy to mount? any custom brackets required?

Would you have any problems taking your Nav to the snow or high country during winter with this setup? Maybe this just a case of waiting a little longer for the AT to warm up?

I did the maths of the load I need to go across the Simpson et al and it was over GVM, so I will need to get a GVM upgrade of some description, or reduce my load further. Its already pretty tight. An upgrade of a bit under 80-100Kg would be nice. Certainly having the weld plates is better than not having it if I intend on carrying a little more weight.

Yeah I got the Provent catch can and fuel filter. Engine bay is very tight now. Will probably block the EGR next but worried about blowing smoke out the back.

Old 30-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Garage

the EGR blank will stop, or at least reduce the amount of black smoke, not increase it.
With the upper control arms, my understanding is it affected the Thai models more. No problem on mine with 2.5"extra lift, just needed a wheel alignment.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D40-4Life View Post
@ericcs, Lift kit and suspension upgrade definitely on the agenda. Reckon I have to include a new UCA in that mix also from what I have read.
I was keen on the Ironman Foam Cell pros but some people have told me that they are too short for the D40. Only looking to do 2 inch front and 2.5" back.
Did you see much smoke come out of the exhaust when you put the Blanking Plate on?

@Czechmate Did those roadrunner plates cover your transfer case?

Also, Was the davies craig trans cooler easy to mount? any custom brackets required?

Would you have any problems taking your Nav to the snow or high country during winter with this setup? Maybe this just a case of waiting a little longer for the AT to warm up?

I did the maths of the load I need to go across the Simpson et al and it was over GVM, so I will need to get a GVM upgrade of some description, or reduce my load further. Its already pretty tight. An upgrade of a bit under 80-100Kg would be nice. Certainly having the weld plates is better than not having it if I intend on carrying a little more weight.

Yeah I got the Provent catch can and fuel filter. Engine bay is very tight now. Will probably block the EGR next but worried about blowing smoke out the back.
That's a massive amount of weight to be dragging across the desert!

You may need a lift & bash plates for the high country, but you won't need them out in the desert unless you're thinking of tackling virgin sand dunes?

Any lift on a vehicle with IFS like a D40, while looking good, will put addition strain on the steering/front driving components. Combine that with the kind of weight you're thinking of taking & the way you'll have to drive to push all of that weight up & over the sand dunes.