Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Drive Train

Center bearing replacement...uni etc
Old 07-04-2019, 12:43 AM

My Mood:
Default Center bearing replacement...uni etc

Yup the ol' center bearing job, the last one lasted about 50'000ks towing included - I can't remember what brand, but the rubber failed not the bearing..

The new one is made by febest, looks the goods and came with new locking nut and copper washer .. ordered directly from company in germany for under $60.

Ok, so splitting drive shafts and pressing uni's..

I hate doing it at a stand up press- where you have to support shafts and place uni's- and I just can't bring myself to do the hammer and punch thinggg sooo .......

$25 of all thread, nuts and washers and some left over alloy plate that was "pre drilled- the small joys" for a job and never used and came up with little bench top press...

Works a treat with the vice to help hold and align ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_220601.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	22571  

Last edited by Been a while; 07-04-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2019, 12:56 AM

My Mood:

The other problem is dealing with supporting the uni keepers on the tailshaft...

Desperate times call for desperate messures , no pipe that is "just right int/ext diameter"- never fear here's the good ol' socket sacrifice.....

You could still use them in a jam, they can live in the nav tool box for future use no doubt ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190406_221237.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	22572   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_221410.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	22573  

Old 07-04-2019, 01:03 AM

My Mood:

To remove the center bearing I did the dirty, removed old bearing to expose "inner race", then score and cold chisel ... I used the old nut to seat new center bearing then refitted new nut...

Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 AM

My Mood:

It's dodgy and ugly but it worked.... managed to replace all three sets @ $55 ea TOYO Japan.

These are serviceable but getting to those grease points when the tailshaft is in might be an issue....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190407_113502.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	22576   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_113515.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	22577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_113545.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	22578  

Old 07-04-2019, 08:06 AM

My Mood:

And that's the center bearing and uni's done, $250 in parts + $30 in all thread etc plus my time $280..
Quoted $490 and UP , and that was with me removing and refitting tailshaft... who knew eh, I didn't think it would be that expensive to have done....

Anyone had a quote lately ?? Be curious to know some prices...

So there you go, cheap arses little press did the job..

Old 07-04-2019, 09:09 PM

How did you know the centre bearing failed?

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:06 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d22 View Post
How did you know the centre bearing failed?
The rubber was well worn and completely cracked and broken at the flexible area..

my bet is, look for the kits with the nut and washer - they seem to be the better made ones- maybe made for nissan oem I don't know... febest seems to have a good name, time will tell I guess.....

Old 08-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Mine seems fine, still original with 250K on the clock

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:15 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d22 View Post
Mine seems fine, still original with 250K on the clock
Lucky you , would you mind taking a photo of yours ? It would be interesting to see where yours sits .. maybe mines to far forward , I did put a spacer on the pinion when I lifted her..
could be the driver too lol
Hmmm maybe I'll check the pinion to box degrees, see if somethings moved or twisted - or maybe i just set it up wrong when I first did it...

There is a mod that uses a holden center bearing, the Nav center bearing looks like a toy next to it ...it's the right diameter for the tailshaft but needs mounting fabrication .. depending on what I do with diff I may look into it. ...

The reason I did the first one was to find a vibration/shudder at take off, you'd think clutch- but I always thought diff shudder that was being magnified by the center bearing rubber being worn..
Anyways the diff bloke said- replace that first and see if it helped or fixed the shudder/vibration before we rip into the diff.
It made it better but it was t h e diff, an oil treatment and a few oil changes she came good- well for 50'000 k's it worked lol diff has finally gone now..

And that brings us to this center bearing replacement , I'm betting cheap arse rubber is used in manufacturing letting the flea bay brought ones down.. bearing itself seemed healthy...

Old 10-04-2019, 09:21 PM

Her you go mate. Specially took them this morning just for you. First 2 are from the rear looking forward and the last one is the best angle i could get from the front.

If you need any more, let me know.