Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Suspension & Steering

D22 upper ball joint removal
Old 01-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Garage
Default D22 upper ball joint removal

Hey guys, need to replace the driver side upper ball joint.
Any tips or tricks?
Cheers Ben
Sponsored Links

Old 17-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

Hi ben, bast advice is to pay someone like i did! unless you have access to a press and some good workshop tools its a total PITA of a job!

Cheers
bryan
2004 D22---> Dual batteries, TJM Canopy, led lighting, Snorkel, EGR/Butterfly mod, 50mm lifted Bluemax H/D springs, EFS Elite front & Enforcer rear All from ZORDO, Genuine Nissan Steel winch bar, Runva XP11 Winch, 265/75/16 BFG KM2'S, 4wd System front auto lokka, Rhino Racks, Tigerz awning. To come, water tanks, led light bar.

See My build Thread http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=10566

Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 PM

As it happens I did mine last night. Itís not that big a deal, IMO.
Spend $100 on a ball joint kit on EBay. The first hour of your mechanicís labour will cost more than that. Iíd never changed a ball joint in my life, now Iím an expert. 😉 Redone the entire front end. Tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, drag link bar, idler arm and drive shafts.

Old 29-11-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbopper View Post
As it happens I did mine last night. It’s not that big a deal, IMO.
Spend $100 on a ball joint kit on EBay. The first hour of your mechanic’s labour will cost more than that. I’d never changed a ball joint in my life, now I’m an expert. �� Redone the entire front end. Tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, drag link bar, idler arm and drive shafts.
Yeah, I bought one of those kits for about 60 bucks and it worked a treat. Got another thingy to help separate the ball joints from control arms, worked well also. Still a pita though lol. It didn't fix the clunking nose when cornering at low speeds either, so was probably unnecessary. At least it shouldn't develop ball joint problems any time soon. Looks like the lca bushes next.

Last edited by Horatius; 29-11-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Old 29-11-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yeah, I bought one of those kits for about 60 bucks and it worked a treat. Got another thingy to help separate the ball joints from control arms, worked well also. Still a pita though lol. It didn't fix the clunking nose when cornering at low speeds either, so was probably unnecessary. At least it shouldn't develop ball joint problems any time soon. Looks like the lca bushes next.
Have you managed to fix that clunk yet? Mine does it & I reckon it's more than one issue causing it. My last one made the same noise from new, but the service manager at the dealership I bought it from couldn't hear it apparently lol.

Old 29-11-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Have you managed to fix that clunk yet? Mine does it & I reckon it's more than one issue causing it. My last one made the same noise from new, but the service manager at the dealership I bought it from couldn't hear it apparently lol.
Not yet mate. I assumed it was a balljoint (one of the rubber boots had lost its grease). They weren't too bad though in the end and it never pays to assume lol.

Can't find anything obvious that's causing it but it now sounds like a lower control arm noise, around the area where the torsion bar bolts on, but it's difficult to know sure. The old girl is getting new lca bushes, drag link and tie rod ends so I will report back when done.

Quote:
Yeah, I bought one of those kits for about 60 bucks and it worked a treat. Got another thingy to help separate the ball joints from control arms, worked well also.
This should have been to "help separate the balljoint from where it bolts on to the wheel hub", still had to use heat, worked ok though.

Old 30-11-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Not yet mate. I assumed it was a balljoint (one of the rubber boots had lost its grease). They weren't too bad though in the end and it never pays to assume lol.

Can't find anything obvious that's causing it but it now sounds like a lower control arm noise, around the area where the torsion bar bolts on, but it's difficult to know sure. The old girl is getting new lca bushes, drag link and tie rod ends so I will report back when done.

This should have been to "help separate the balljoint from where it bolts on to the wheel hub", still had to use heat, worked ok though.
That's pretty much where I reckon the noise is coming from in mine too. I can't find anything faulty though! I'm starting to wonder if it's just the way the torsion bars are designed that's causing it? What puzzles me is that mine only really does it at slow speeds, turning right (think roundabouts). This one hasn't got that many K's on it, but it has done at least 20K of dirt/gravel roads. It'll be very interesting to hear how you go after you've replaced the stuff you mention above!

Old 30-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

You will probably find that the noises you are talking about is the body blocks. I would be checking them for wear.

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:04 AM

Good suggestion Tony. Will have a bit of a look at that. Will still replace the steering/suspension parts in the old girl though. Lots of miles, most of them very difficult miles as well and the steering is recently starting to develop a mind of it's own lol.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d22 View Post
You will probably find that the noises you are talking about is the body blocks. I would be checking them for wear.
You're probably right. Mine aren't showing any wear, I've been checking them regularly, but I don't have a lot of faith in the quality of the materiels used in them. Maybe they've hardened up or something.

Lots of creaks & groans in my Ute when it's empty (the rear of the torsion bars rattle at the slightest bump in the road, the leaf springs creak & groan and the tow bar hitch rattles) , but they all disappear when towing any sort of weight!

We just recently took it up the Oodnadatta Track & on through Mt. Dare, Finke, New Crown, Old Andado, Santa Teresa, Alice and back to Adelaide, full of gear & towing an off road camper & it never creaked, nor groaned once! Not even the knock when turning right at slow speeds!

Same when it's towing a cut down tree to the dump at work - nothing!

Frustrating! :(