Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Electrical

Battery and hand brake warning lights stay on.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:18 AM

Default Battery and hand brake warning lights stay on.

Intermittently my handbrake and battery light come on. It started happening after a flat battery and I found on the forum the code remover...pumping, on and off, etc., etc. to get rid of them. I want to know what they are indicating and should I take it to a mechanic.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2018, 04:57 AM

Garage

you have a failing alternator, or, as I've had twice, the clutched pulley on the alternator is failing. if it's this, you can buy them for 80/100bucks and change it or the alternator whole yourself if your mechanically minded!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanks Ericcs. How do you determine whether it's the pulley or the alternator? Should I just buy another alternator and be done with it?
Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Garage

the pulley has a clutch in it, so when you decelerate or shut down the car, the alternator can slow down gradually. when they let go, the alternator won't spool up, so no charge. you will have to take the belt off and determine that the pulley spins both ways, while the armature stays still. If so, then the pulley is stuffed!

Old 01-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

As per Eric.

If yours doesn't have a clutch, or if it's the actual shaft under the pulley that gave way, consider a Trump alternator from eBay. I'm on my 3rd alternator now too, first one started slipping on the output shaft and wore it away enough so that the back face of the pulley rubbed against the front face of the alternator. Its replacement blew a diode or something, I just ripped it out and whacked the Trump alternator in. Very happy.

Unfortunately Trump don't appear to be selling on eBay at the moment, but there are other alternatives. I grabbed a 150A unit - develops more power at lower RPM, perfect.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 02-05-2018, 10:17 PM

Thanks Eric and Tony
It appears to be the pulley works when it feels like it . The alternator currently (ha, ha) is still working. Will order the pulley today.
Thanks for the advice.
Harry

Old 22-05-2018, 08:12 AM

I've got the new pulley and hexagonal tool to fit. What do I need to hold the alternator shaft?
Thanks

Old 22-05-2018, 08:24 AM

Garage

hold the alternator in a big vice, with the pulley facing up. i used a standard phillips head screw screwdriver and placed thru the casing into the armature. just make sure you don't damage any windings. it's a simple task, iv'e done it twice with no problems.
if you live in Brisbane, i can help you!

Alternator going crazy, stop lights not working and VDC on
Old 04-10-2019, 12:21 AM

Default Alternator going crazy, stop lights not working and VDC on

Hi,
we are a traveling family and I have just introduced us as new members here.

I will have to start a few posts as various issues on engine, drive train and electronics occur regularly.

#1 ALTERNATOR GOING CRAZY
I have a scan tool on my dashboard telling me the exact output of our alternator. Sometimes it provides less than 12V (including troubles to start the engine when I stopped for the kids to have a break), and sometimes it delivers more than 15V (preventing the AC from doing its job). The "!" (hand break) as well as the "battery" symbol are flickering all the time especially when driving in low revs. Seems like the alternator is not enjoying our trip and wants to be replaced?

#2 STOP LIGHTS NOT WORKING
Yeah, I changed the blown fuse and thought I did a pretty good job, but it didn't work. The fuse keeps on blowing and non of the lights (LED) worked since then. They are on when I turn on the light, but not when I jam the breaks. Our Redarc TowPro also indicates no breaking signal when I am on the breaks, but our van does slow down.

#3 VDC LIGHTS ARE ON
Not always, and I can not reproduce the issue but from time to time they are on. No matter if bitumen or gravel, doesn't seem to have any influence on what surface we are driving.

Issues #1 and #2 worry me most as I don't wanna end up with a broken alternator and a car smashing into us as there where no stop lights when I tried not to run over a suicidal too ;-)

TIA!

driving a Nissan Navara D40 2010, ST (Spanish model), 4WD, automatic, Diesel
167.000 km, all services done, ex-mining car, not a rocket while towing our van

Old 04-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Ok, it's a 2010 model (didn't notice that before). The alternator may be going nuts, they have failed in the past, my own car has a 150A "Trump" alternator since both the original and its replacement failed on me. You should not have a "smart" alternator in there which is usually what causes this sort of thing.

However, I would remove both battery leads and clean the terminals. It's often the case that dirty battery terminals will make the alternator struggle to recharge the battery or provide power for the rest of the vehicle.

Brake lights: there are two switches on the brake pedal, one is for the cruise control, the other for the brake lights. I don't think these are going to be the problem because if the fuse is blowing when you press the pedal, the switch is obviously working.

I had some problems with poor connections in my tail lights and what would happen is all of my tail lights would light up when I used an indicator. I undid the 10mm bolts holding the tail lights, took the plugs apart, pulled the globes, cleaned everything, reassembled and it worked. No more drama. There are TWO plugs for the tail lights module - clean both of them! I'd also try to check the trailer wiring. It is possible that the trailer is shorting the brake light. I did see a problem once where the trailer was shorting out the lights and there was no obvious reason until we checked and found that the wiring loom for the trailer had gotten caught between the tow hitch and the trailer at some point and crushed the wires, shorting them out. You should check that too.

The VDC may be a result of the other electrical issues you're having. It's usually a sign that one wheel is not moving at the same rate as the others, and that sometimes happens with a failing wheel bearing. It's rare that it's electrical on its own, but things like bad earths (the 2010 D40 had an earth on the ECU that was sometimes connected to painted metal, which provided an intermittent connection and all sorts of weird errors). You can check the wheel bearings by listening to the car as it turns equal force left and right corners - the wheel noise should be identical. Mine used to grind a little louder in left hand bends, and it was my right hand front wheel bearing.

Good luck :)

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."