Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

yd25 new exhaust lacking power
Old 29-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Default yd25 new exhaust lacking power

recently installed a 3inch dump into a 3inch system with a resonator.
From everything i ever read it seemed like it made the world of difference and turned her into a whole new beast...
how ever i feel like that isnt the case. 1-4th doesn't seem to bad slightly less turbo lag. how ever 5th feels like it doesn't start to pull even when your foot is planted untill 2500rpm which is already 100km/hr even then 2750 is when it seems like boost really comes on.

any ideas? already paid alot for the exhaust and don't want to be throwing alot of cash into it
any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links

Old 29-04-2018, 02:13 PM

Garage

i put a 3" on my d40, no difference!

Old 29-04-2018, 08:27 PM

I've never gone 3" because I personally reckon it is to big on a small engine. I haven't changed the exhaust on the Nav, but did on my 3.0 Patrol. I chipped it first and just wasn't that impressed, so put on a 2.5" Beaudesert exhaust and it did come to life after that. I did have to limit the boost after changing it. I wouldn't have changed the exhaust without the chip.

Old 29-04-2018, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

I wouldnt expect noticable gains from anything other than a chip!

Old 30-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

my sons D-22 with a 3 inch full system has more low end torque than my stock D-22. so there is definetly some noticeable difference.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Hey did he notice any loss in top end? cheers

Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM

My Mood:
Garage

A bit of extra bottom end might make the top end feel slightly less potent. As everyone has said, exhaust alone does **** all. a touch of extra bottom end. The chip is where the magic happens.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 AM

Basically, IMO what's happening is by opening up the exhaust that much & not adjusting the tune, is that you've made it run lean. It may rev harder, but you won't notice any more power until you have the tune adjusted with an ECU re-map, or a chip. The ECU is mapped to the factory exhaust & just putting a larger exhaust on won't change that.

I'd be interested to see the exhaust side of the pistons after you've run with that exhaust on & no re-tune for a while! Especially if you tend to rev it out between gear changes.

Please note that I am not recommending a chip, or a re-map. I like the car the way it came from the factory.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Yes it wouldn,t hurt to have a re - map done, atleast you know the esc etc will be in tune and the engine should run better. A friend had his Patrol re maped by nissan and it made a good difference he said.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:02 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Basically, IMO what's happening is by opening up the exhaust that much & not adjusting the tune, is that you've made it run lean. It may rev harder, but you won't notice any more power until you have the tune adjusted with an ECU re-map, or a chip. The ECU is mapped to the factory exhaust & just putting a larger exhaust on won't change that.

I'd be interested to see the exhaust side of the pistons after you've run with that exhaust on & no re-tune for a while! Especially if you tend to rev it out between gear changes.

Please note that I am not recommending a chip, or a re-map. I like the car the way it came from the factory.
I doubt it would affect the AFR much if at all,, unless you are seeing a significant boost increase with the new exhaust.
Even if it did run lean, ie; more air for the same amount of fuel,, in a diesel that would just mean a cleaner burn and cooler EGT's which are good things.
In reality, the turbo itself is the bottleneck in the system, at low rpm the big exhaust might help the turbo spool up better, but apart from that not much else.