Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Maintenance and Tech Resources

2011 d40 odd noise at idle
Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Default 2011 d40 odd noise at idle

hi all, just a question. hearing some strange noises coming from the engine area lately. it's very sporadic when it happens. the noise is a whirring noise that increases and decreases if that makes sense... I have an audio file available if someone can tell me how to share it? sometimes it's there other times its not. when it is there it's only for a for a short while (30 seconds max) until it fades and disappears. I've recently had all the belts replaced and hasn't fixed the issue. turning the AC off doesn't change either. The noise happens with or without the AC operating. just wondering if anyone has come across this in the past? cheers
Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 AM

You could do a video of the engine bay when it is making the noise and post it on YouTube

Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Things that whirr in the engine bay (apart from the obvious):

* Damaged blades on radiator fan. Look at the root of the blade for cracking. This is extremely dangerous as it could cause the blade(s) to start nicking away at the radiator.

* Thermal fan cutting in. There's a small electric fan down at the bottom right hand side of the radiator (the car's right hand side). It usually only cuts in when the coolant temp is at 105C or the aircon compressor is on.

* Turbo flutter. Generally it shouldn't. Have someone take a poke at your impeller. If the shaft wobbles more than a tiny amount, your turbo might be ready to pack it in. Please don't talk to me about turbo woes, my car is now on its third.

* EGR leak. Usually they break around the base of the gold pipe where it joins the exhaust manifold but it could be a gasket around the other side on the back of the EGR valve. If memory serves, the 2011 D40s had a flow sensor, so blanking the EGR completely will probably trigger a Check Engine Light.

* Idler pulley. It's located towards the right hand side and below the alternator. There's a cap over the front so you can't spritz the bearing directly but it would pay to give it a squirt under the cap with the fine tube on a can of silicone lube.

* Alternator pulley. Again, happened to me (must be lucky). The pulley broke off the shaft and the only thing holding mine in place was the tension of the serpentine belt. Alternator was replaced, problem solved. I don't think the 2011 had a "smart" alternator, it should be similar to mine.

* Exhaust manifold < - > turbocharger interface. Mine came loose (told you, I'm lucky) and was just loose enough to make the gasket sound like a reed instrument (you know, saxophone/clarinet etc but without ANY of the skill needed to do a decent job). Sometimes it would flutter, other times it would shriek.

Hope that helps.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 PM

thanks for the detailed advice Tony, i was thinking last night I'll get a video recording so I can upload that. just waiting for it to happen again now. I have a blanking plate in the EGR, i think it's the 550s that throw the error code. 2.5s seem to be all good with those. alternator has recently been replaced after the 3rd one we got one that worked that was working. that was a nightmare. I do recall my mechanics mentioning a few of my pulleys were a bit warped if that makes sense? anyway I'll chuck up a video when I can get.one. only real way to hear the noise over the engine noise is in the cab with (best heard in the drivers foot well)

Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 AM

https://youtu.be/Zcf1daTcamY

hi guys. here is a video I managed to record with the engine noise going in the background. you will hear the noise start to speed up to a constant whir towards the end of the video. the car is parked in carport in park. this was recorded from the drivers foot well.

I also looked at my radiator fan. cant see any damage to the fins etc. can't seem to find the thermal fan unless it's under a shroud or something. bit of gunk around the drivers side of the EGR pipe where I've blanked it but no damage to pipe. assuming the gunk is just leakage because I never put any gasket glue on when I put the block in (will do that tho). haven't looked at the other items pointed out by Tony yet.. any other advice is much appreciated

Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

I'm thinking of the idler pulley, though it sounds a bit like a Kookaburra at the start.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

It almost does sound like the belt. Dried some dri-lube on it?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM

hi Tony, by dri lube do you mean spray a bit into the idler pulley assembly as you suggested above? the belts have recently been replaced (less than 2000kms ago) and the noise was occuring before then also

Old 04-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Dri-lube is like a stick that feels a bit like soap, you rub it on the surface of a belt that makes contact with pulleys and if they were the source of the noise it generally shuts up. But if you've replaced the belts recently it's more likely the idler pulley or alternator pulley.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:03 AM

thanks Tony! I'll try a bit of silicone spray on the idler pulley. it could even be the alternator pulley even as it's recently been replaced and can't recall the noise being there before it was replaced. is there any solutions for the alternator pulley if that's what it could be?