Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

ZD30 Turbo oil leak.
Old 22-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Default ZD30 Turbo oil leak.

Hi All,
I'm very new to the forum. I've been reading/ perusing it for a while, and what a wealth of info there is here.
I would like to ask for some help/ advice in my first post.
I'm not familiar with working under the bonnet of my Navara, other than routine maintenance & servicing. However I'm good with my hands and tools and keen to have a go at anything.
I've had an oil leak around the turbo for sometime, I mentioned it to a local mechanic and he said "oh yeah, they get that, it's nothing to worry about. She'll be right.." However, a leak is a leak in my books, correct me if I'm wrong please.
I've attached some photos of the area that is building up with oil so you can see where I'm talking about. Some advice on what I need to do to rectify it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time everyone.
Smithy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1077514912.jpg
Views:	2077
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	20092   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2902906344.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	20093  
Sponsored Links

Old 22-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

its from the oil via the breather. thats why many people fit catch cans. heaps of info on here about it.

Old 22-04-2015, 11:58 AM

My Mood:
Garage

That's it- a well set up catch can! And by the way- your mechanic is a dick- and your danm right Smithy "an oil leak is an oil leak" and means trouble, and your right in this case!! That oil mixes with the Exhaust Gases and end up blocking the air intake... So your mechanic is dead wrong- she wont be right !

Old 22-04-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks Guys!!
I have only just started reading about the catch cans and it is something I'd like to install very soon.
I wasn't aware that my leak was one of the symptoms of not having the catch can.
Yeah, I didn't really like the response I got "it's normal, she'll be right". So I'm glad I signed up here and asked you guys.
Is there a preferred can everyone likes? I see there's a couple of types, some look like the exact same moulded can but have different suppliers.
Would you all advise I clean everything such as the turbo and the dirty hoses whilst I have it apart when installing the catch can?
Cheers again for the quick responses!
Smithy

Old 23-04-2015, 02:49 AM

Smithy,
Ive had my Nav since new 2005 and it developed this leak soon after. I drove it from Victoria to Cairns and then took it to Nissan who had a look and said they all do it put another hose clamp on it. Not satisfied I eventually found out about the small forefront catchcan and installed it and problem solved.

Old 23-04-2015, 05:54 AM
2013 & 2014 muster Sponsor

My Mood:

This is why this website is so good.....a person that is willing to explain their problem politely and ask for help....and a massive amount of people to give honest easy help.

But yeh as above "normal" in the way that every single d22 does it....but not "normal" in the way you want your car operating ...so a catch can catches the oil and separates it from the air being breathed by the engines crank case to stop it building up in the turbo inlet.

www.forefrontindustries.com.au

Product Design and Manufacturing for over 10yrs

Old 23-04-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forefront Industries View Post
This is why this website is so good.....a person that is willing to explain their problem politely and ask for help....and a massive amount of people to give honest easy help. But yeh as above "normal" in the way that every single d22 does it....but not "normal" in the way you want your car operating ...so a catch can catches the oil and separates it from the air being breathed by the engines crank case to stop it building up in the turbo inlet.
Too right mate!
I am overwhelmed by how quick all the guys have responded and really appreciate the advice.
I see you guys (Forefront) have a couple of catch cans available. What one do you recommend for my ute? (2005 ZD30) Would I be best getting the same one as Jaybird has installed (small one).
Cheers again!
Smithy

Old 23-04-2015, 10:47 AM

I was just talking to my mate that works for nissan about my recent motor explosion. He reckons that the catch can + egr block are necessary on these engines. He's told me that the build up of residue on the pistons is a major contributor to failures in the nav zd30. Apparently the residue is ok under acceleration and low speed, but at highway speeds can cause hot spots that eventually can punch through a piston. Fun facts!

Old 23-04-2015, 02:12 PM

My Mood:
Garage

that much oil around there means your mechanic overfilled the engine, i had the same when some rookie was using a full 5litres oil but the yd25 on the d22 takes 4,3 with filter change! you can imagine where that 700 mls of excesive oil went to...
you can also imagine that he closed his garage when none would go there anymore.

Old 24-04-2015, 12:14 AM

What do you recommend for the reducers for the catch can forefront? Because it goes from 19mm to 15mm. Cheers.