EGT Gauge Q&A's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hello all,

Seeing as diesels are all about the EGT's I was after some info on monitoring them.

Seems the easiest place to mount with relatively accurate readings is in a blanking plate placed over the EGR port coming from the exhaust manifold?

What brands do you guys recommend? Is there some place which sells decent quality ones at a competitive price? Seems like some include features like an alarm and potentially an attachment to connect to your diesel chip to tune it down in the event of tripping the alarm point set on the gauge?

In the future I do plan to fit a chip an exhaust as saw this as the first logical option becuase it would be good to see the temp differences between stock exhaust and no chip, stock exhaust with chip, aftermarket exhaust with chip.

Cheers,
Shorty

Also on the topic of chips, I have a 2004 D22 with a ZD30 and from what I gather/read from all the previous post/threads is, with this model it isn't common rail and hence all the chips do the same thing which is adjust the spill valve in the fuel pump to pump in more fuel for more power. Is this correct? So there is no need to go blowing huge money on the expensive 'name' brand diesel chips?

im on the same boat tying to find a way that easy and I can do my self to put the egt probe in, got the gauge mounted just trying to find the best way to mount the probe.
so you say where I put the blanking plate on the exhaust manifold. would that be a good spot? dose it get constent flow of exhaust going past it? I guess that would mean you would have to remove the hard line egr piping?

Wait till you get and exhaust and get the EGT probe tapped into your new dump pipe, I got opposite lock to install my gauges and have had my car on the dyno which showed the gauges are extremely accurate..... I use DEPO Racing gauges which have an anolog and digital view, there awesome

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=231

very good price and are damn accurate. a lot of blokes run these and even some chip companies use these to cut out their chips at high temps.

i've got a zd30 and i have my probe in the exhaust manifold. As stated i removed the egr pipe and blanked it off, then fitted my probe into it. I brought a cheap set off ebay for my boost, water and egt. Had I known about the auber ones i would have def got them instead.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=231

very good price and are damn accurate. a lot of blokes run these and even some chip companies use these to cut out their chips at high temps.

i've got a zd30 and i have my probe in the exhaust manifold. As stated i removed the egr pipe and blanked it off, then fitted my probe into it. I brought a cheap set off ebay for my boost, water and egt. Had I known about the auber ones i would have def got them instead.

oh so you have put the probe where the egr pipe was. oh well that's great I no it can be done so that's wat im going to do. im not realy keen on drilling into the exhaust manifold so putting where the egr was is a great idea.
on your blanking plate did you weld a nut on there or get just drill a hole in the plate and put the thread through it with a nut on the other side?

Ive got an auber in mine as well fits perfect in the little card slot under the radio. The difference in the probes is one has an exposed tip and one is sealed you better off using the sealed tip as over time the exposed ones can become brittle and fall off into your exhaust or turbo.

Ive got an auber in mine as well fits perfect in the little card slot under the radio. The difference in the probes is one has an exposed tip and one is sealed you better off using the sealed tip as over time the exposed ones can become brittle and fall off into your exhaust or turbo.

Cheers for the clarification mate.

From what I have read on the ZD30 patrol forums most people have their probes in the dump pipe either from fear of the probe busting and going through the turbo or fear of making a hole in the manifold. People with their probes in the dump seem get temps from 200-500 and manifold placement results in temps from 300-700. So there seems to be about 100-200 degree drop between measuring positions and if you take that into account when reading the temp from the dump you can be fine I suppose. I read somewhere the ZD30 can handle EGTs of about 600 max if read after the turbo at the dump pipe, which would mean about 700-800 coming straight out of the manifold.

Can anyone confirm that?

Yeah that sounds right ive got my probe in the dump pipe and set my alarm for 550 degrees. The most ive seen it climb to so far is 490 and that was on a long climb towing my datsun.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=231 very good price and are damn accurate. a lot of blokes run these and even some chip companies use these to cut out their chips at high temps. i've got a zd30 and i have my probe in the exhaust manifold. As stated i removed the egr pipe and blanked it off, then fitted my probe into it. I brought a cheap set off ebay for my boost, water and egt. Had I known about the auber ones i would have def got them instead.

Just wondering how far through the plate you put the tip of the probe, and also what sort of readings your getting from that spot... Mine will hopefully be goin in tomorrow ...

The tip needs to extend into the zorst gas flow...make sure you get a long one.the depth is then adjustable to suit your manifold and probe placement...if its not in the main flow the temp will be lower..I believe the best place is in the collector just before the turbo..with all 4 pipes meeting there it should be the hottest point.

Ah ok... The probe is about 4 inches long so if I make sure it's in far enough to be in between #4 and # 3 that should be getting fairly accurate readings yeah???
I got the boost gauge hooked up today and with 257000 on the clock and no engine mods done it's still pushing 15 pound boost ...

Latest posts

Back