Crack in radiator fan

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadgets

Reaction score
Just noticed this crack in my rad fan today, anything to worry about? I will probably source a second hand one from a wreckers if I need to, how hard is it to pull off the old fan and replace?

Attachments

• 2013-05-08 13.09.15.jpg
    2013-05-08 13.09.15.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 220
I dont think it would have been caused by anything in particular , just a plastic part that will show wear signs over time from the extreme heat under the bonnet.

Mine did the same - $125 for a new one. Not hard to change - take the shroud off is about all you need to do. I could never decide if it was just fatigue or if mud and shit was hitting it!

I would be more worried if the crack was in one of the blades but there's nothing stopping that from disintegrating and flying off. And given that it's tractoring the air in through the radiator, if the fan lets go of the shaft it's going to propel itself forward in a big hurry - straight into the radiator.

Just as well I checked the fan. Yep, some serious cracks, so new fan getting installed.
But I have a question. the manual says remove the bottom shroud first. from what I can see, it is a clip on job. Is that correct.
does the upper shroud come back enough to access the fan and bolts ?
the manual says to remove the top hose, not sure that has to be done but I know I'll have to remove the battery to get the upper shroud back enuff.
why do they make things so bloody difficult ?

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Fan shroud.JPG
    Fan shroud.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 118
Those cracks on yours are bloody huge compared to mine, might be worth checking mine again as I still have not changed it.

Yep, it put a scare in me too.
Bloody plastic or whatever ya wanna call it.
got a quote from a nissan dealer for the new fan and only one I could find.
$175 for a piece of plastic.
So now I get into doing it, no matter what it takes.
But I'll find a way around it, the radiator is not coming out just for a bloody piece of plastic. I will have to remove the battery tho. it will all depend on how much clearance I get.
I'll let ya's know how it goes.

I only took photo's in 3 places but it was enuff to get me worried.
it was cracked every where. even thru the blades but more near the central bolted stress area.
There has to be a better set up. surely a metal fan can do the job.
any one done it ?

Changing the weight of the fan will change the way that the fluid couple responds. If you can get a metal one with the same number of blades and same pitch (these two govern the rate of air drawn by the fan, vital for cooling) that weighs the same (or close enough, a couple of grams either way won't make a huge difference) then it should work fine.

Apart from weight, there's little difference between metal and plastic in this scenario. As long as you have the same number of blades at the same angle (and length but that went without saying) there is no difference to the amount of air that can be moved by either material. With a similar weight, the fluid couple will drive either in the same fashion.

But wait a sec ... I don't see a fluid couple on your fan. Your car doesn't have one? Don't worry about the weight!

Was just reading the post about wiper blades so thought I'd share this about the fan.
Nissan dealer in Perth metro (south of river) wants $175
Nissan dealer in the northwest of WA is only asking $127.50
What the .......!
I'm still shaking my head.

You would think that if you supply the model, year, motor and VIN number then a Nissan dealer would supply you with the correct part.
Not so. $127.50 is for the thermo fan.
Give me strength and another beer.
Maybe I should have bought a tojo :banghead::banghead: :rofl2:

I have noticed cracks in my fan and have looked at a few threads on here looking for more info, so reviving this one in the hope someone can help. I have seen genuine ones for $150 but on ebay there are plenty for around the $25 mark. Has anyone tried any of these out? I am willing to try one out but the problem is there is a unit with 143mm across the bolt holes and another of 134mm. I think it is the 143mm option but hoping someone else has done this. I don't want to have to disconnect the radiator and remove the fan shroud until I have the fan. I have looked at a couple of the genuine ads and they don't mention the bolt hole distance.
Anyone had any experience here?

I've changed my viscous hub and I have the old one in a box so I can measure it for you. Let the sun come up so I can see in my shed and I'll check it out.

Latest posts

Back