d22 intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridge888

Reaction score
hey everyone soo i was toying with the idea of a front mount intercooler for a while and done a bit of research my understanding is a front mount is a great idea but alot of piping is required which will create alot of lag soo i started doing research on a top mount system what i found was yes they will suffer from heat sink from under bonnet temp but once on high way with a good bonnet scoop is were you will see the difference soo this is wat i came up with

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 2,031
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 2,518
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 2,940
Last edited:
I'd be keen to see a bit more info also. One big minus i see from the front mounts is trying to avoid the bullbar mounts etc as i am not going to cut holes in them. What about a good electric fan on the cooler to keep up the airflow at low speeds. But yours looks great and if the costs and its a reasonably easy install i think it might just outweight the lower cooling efficency of the front mounts.

Is that mounted at all or just by the piping? Looks nice and easy! I have a fan mounted to the rear of mine which will b on a switch for slower driving

its pretty cheaps considering the price of front mount kits and it only took me an hour to instsall seems too pull alot harder now still havent got a bonnet scoop i think that will help heaps its held there bye the piping seems to work prett well

very interesting, i think it would be much better with a fan.
i find it hard to believe it could be of any benefit the way it is without a bonnet scoop though.

certainly looks a cheap and easy install.

i wonder weather the piping alone would be enough to hold it there on rough terrain.
how long have you had it installed for?

This would most likely be it cal

Attachments

• image-4091001235.jpg
    image-4091001235.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,572
I like it a lot.

I dont think it will be very effective though as far as performance goes sitting on top of dump pipe, but it is excellent protection for the engine should the turbo let go.
I agree it needs a bonnet scoop and fan.

Do some stop watch type tests with it the way it is and then same again with scoop and fan.Could be very interesting.

Did you need to body lift to make it fit?
I may change mine to top mount one day so I can fit a winch.

yeah my plan is too put a scoop and fan on it as soon as possible the cooler fatboy has up is the exact same as the one here it cost me 100 for the cooler very very very easy install no brackets yet had it on for a couple days havents done any serious 4wd yet but seems very sterdy and strong as it is now but wen a fan goes on i think it will deffinantely need bracketing

Nice set up, i was thinking of doing that myself at one stage but dont want a scoop.

Ps anybody want a micro cooler exactly the same as pics? iv got one brand new unused and probly all the silicone, clamps and tubing to do the job as well. i was going to do a front mount then changed my mind. Pm me.
Pss the cooler is surprisingly good quality, and the hoses are black and 9ply.

Good luck with it mate. I think it's going to be prone to a lot of heat soak when you pull up at the lights or are doing some slow hill climbs etc. Have you considered wrapping the turbo and dump pipe? Definately put a bonnet scoop above it. Interestingly I've read that some of the Patrol forum guys with ZD30 tmic's were able to reduce a lot of the heat soak by simply removing the rubber seal from under the scoop allowing the hot air created by the engine to escape around the outside of the IC. Food for thought.

Let us know how it goes

Cheers

yeh well i wasnt really lookin for power of lights or around town i was more looking for power when im on the high way with a bike trailer and three bike towing thats when im looking for the power yeah im gettin a new exhaust and then ill wrap the manifold dump pipe and turbo in heat wrap

yeh well i wasnt really lookin for power of lights or around town i was more looking for power when im on the high way with a bike trailer and three bike towing thats when im looking for the power yeah im gettin a new exhaust and then ill wrap the manifold dump pipe and turbo in heat wrap

Nice.

http://www.are.com.au/Inter/topMountIntercoolers.htm

Check out the scoops. Might be worth considering if you've got the coin. I'm sure they can be adapted to the Nav bonnet :)

Looks like the same intercooler I am running. I stuck it there for more of a protection than cooling.

3711.jpg

My setup has changed a bit since then but it works.

Latest posts

Back