97 D22 navara instrument problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2greedy

Reaction score
Hi guy's

my daughter just bout a 97 D22 Navara and the instrument cluster is playing up, when you turn the ignition on sometimes the temp and fuel gauges go straight to the top, speedo won't show past 30 kms'h and odometer read 999999?

what could the problem be guy's?

bit of an update guy's

i have checked all engine bay earths and cleaned them, i have removed cluster and re-seated all connections, i have freshened up all solder joints and still it does it?

Hi,
I signed up after Finding this thread. I have exactly the same problem with my 1997 d22 navara. However, I notice that on occasion, my gauges return to normal after having driven the car for a while, turning off for a shortish period of time and then restarting the car. Issue returns when starting the at again for its next drive.

Look forward to hearing if anyone else has the same issues and what the fix may be?

Thanks

Thanks Dave,

I did some extensive searching after posting my reply and found some info that was helpful in repairing my issue (so far anyway, I've done about 20km since fixing and no issues yet). I thought I would return and post some info on how I fixed (including a link to the page that was most helopful).

It appears that this issue affects the US model Frontier of a similar age as the early D22's. I found the below link which refers to replacing the the Transistor chips in the speedo unit (code is NTE152 Transistor). Reading through other links, it appears that some have had success in redoingthe solder on said transistors, as well as redoing the solder on the 3 IC's located in the speedo unit.

The word is that these were not done correctly at manufacture and that over time the solder becomes brittle and stops doing its job (i'm not a real techy bloke, this is the best i can describe it!)

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=602001&page=0

I performed this today and reinstalled and looks good so far!!

Some tips:
1. To remove the speedo unit, you will have 4 screws on the back of the unit to remove first.
3. In order to pull the guage from the cluster you have to remove the 'face' of the guage. To do this, you first have to remove the needle. DO NOT do what I did and just try to pull the needle off its pole (I'm not real tech savvy, so don't what the proper term for what this is). Attached to this pole is a very fine copper spring that will get all out of wack if you just pull on the needle (My speedo now reads about 20 under real km/hr since I stuffed it up - not too big an issue, as all other guages and odo work perfectly and I use a GPS anyway).
Best way would be to get a very fine set of needle nose pliers under the needle to grab this pole and 'twist' the needle off.
4. The link above shows the location of the transistors quite well. Refresh the 6 sections of solder that hold them in place (I also added some solder to refresh the joins that you'll see as well).
5. Redo the solder on the 3 IC chips as well (there are quite a few of these to do!). Once you have the unit out they are pretty evident where they are by looking at the front for the codes (IC1, IC2, IC3).
6. Reassemble and install them and hope for the best!!

If this doesn't work, You will likely have to replace the transistors by following the guide attached above.

Anyway, long post but I thought I would put up some info here for others to find suffering similar issues!!

thanks

My 97 has just started doing this also , driving me mad , really the best thing to do would get a new cluster from a wrecker and hope for the best ? ..... yes , and also has any one elses out there had this same problem linked with the car not starting at all as if the starter motor has screwed its self , thinking I'll hit up a few joints tomorrow and see if I can pick up a second hand job see how we go

Last edited:
Great post, but I still can't fix mine :(

2 new NTE152, resoldered all C1

Still showing 999999kms and fuel & temp full up, tacho not operating

Cheers!

i need a dashboard dump (BIN file) for nissan navara Yr99, eprom: 93c46..

anyone plz?

Attachments

• Navara 2.jpg
    Navara 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Similar Problem

Hey guys, I've just bought a 97' Nissan Navara D22 and am new to this forum. I am also just 16yrs of age so don't have to much experience just yet.

Their was a bit of dust behind the dash glass so I opened it all up and started cleaning it up. While doing so I accidently bumped the speedometer needle up to around 60Klm/h. When i was finished cleaning I just pushed it back down to 0. After putting everything back together and started driving, the speedometer was giving crazy readings when I was only going slow. It fixed itself somehow and was good for a few days. But then it started getting stuck at around about the place that I bumped it up to when I was cleaning. Also it started jumping and fooling around when it got up around that area.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how I could fix this problem?
Appriciate the help!

I finally got around to having a crack at this. Didn't fix it :shot: Then I may have got a bit angry and smashed the cluster... :pissedoff::rambo:

Anywho, if anyone is after the NTE152 transistors to have a crack, I have 3 left. PM me and I will send them out if needed.

Hey guys i know this is an old thread but i had a 97 with the same problems 999999 km , gauges working when they feel like it
took it to ottos instruments on brisbane southside cost about 180 dollars to fix had to give them a declaration as to approximate milage,was easy as i still had log book with service history,
i cant solder stuff that small so i left it to the experts
5 day turn around and all worked

Latest posts

Back