Help!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJ22

Reaction score
So after some help here! Ive started stripping out the old leafs and shocks on the d22 ready to install the new ones in the morning, now everything came out pretty good, shocks out, shackles out.

Typically my luck there is one stubborn bastard of a nut thats on the Fixed end of the driver side leaf (pin) Ive tried everything and have literally given up for the night.

The ute is currently on axle stands in the garage and now i have 2 options, re install everything and take it in on monday to see if the mechanics can have a crack or get a grinder!! Problem I have with the grinder is that the nut is right up against the fuel tank!!! Ive tried clamping on to it with grips but as the ute is not high enough i cant get to it with the bar, also the more I try the worse the nut is getting!! Its a disaster really as I was flying through this in no time!!

Anyone had this issue and have been brave enough to use the grinder on it? or is it what I think... just a stupid move!!

Cheers

If there's still some time to sneak out there, try drowning it in something like wd40. let it sit overnight and respray first up in the morning.

If I remember from when I did mine there is a dome nut on one of the sides. I guess because this nut/ bolt setup still needs movement after being tightened. Try undoing that first.

Two other things come to mind - "shock it" with some small hits from a hammer or if after you have undone the back half you dropped the spring down onto the floor then tried to undo it, maybe try lifting it back to the operating level then try to undo it.

Don't let it beat you and let the grinder be a last frantic effort. Good luck

Thanks Manning,

Yea they all had a good soak in WD before I started and all other nuts came out really clean, not too hard at all really, Im retired now, just having a cold one! Ill give it a good soak now and try what you said in the morning, hopefully once I get the back end of the spring out and get some movement in it she might let go.... Cross fingers!! Thanks for the info Pal, Ill let you know how I go!!

Cheers mate

hey mate I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago I managed to round the nut with a ring spanner, I then tried stilsens and ended up cutting it with a hacksaw very slow and painfull I got about half way through and then hit it with a hammer and cold chisel I'm still having night mares lol if you have a fire blanket you may be able to protect your tank and have a go with a grinder but that would be a last resort and even then that would be a scary prospect, as painfull as it sounds it may be worth dropping your fuel tank just to be safe

use a hacksaw with a new blade, put knuckle protecting gloves on and take your time, and GOOD LUCK (((-;

Cheers guys, on my way to Bunnings now, ill grab a hacksaw n chisel, Im probably going to need some new pins then too.. I didn't get any with this kit!! Hopefully someone here in town will have some in stock otherwise she will be up on stands till next week!! I didn't fancy the Grinder option to be honest, well at least I know its possible with a hacksaw, Seems like I have a busy day ahead!!

Thanks Guys

It's a metal fuel tank, so a grinder won't worry it. Unless you cut into it haha.

I was in a similar predicament after fitting my springs and a long range tank. Removing those bit cylindrical metal bits at the front of the spring hanger afterwards... That was a hell of a job. I'd recommend removing them if you are fitting aftermarket springs as they will rub. I didn't at first because they looked ok, but I was getting a weird creaking noise when the rear end was flexing and it turned out to be rubbing on that bit... A 5" grinder got there eventually to remove it, but not a lot of room at all...

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/zooms/325815-zoom.jpg

I used one of these on a 1/2" nut on a stripped stud recently (was hoping the nut was stripped not the stud). I was apprehensive so i sharpened it a bit on the linnisher first (could just use a file), and greased it up. It went through the nut like butter. Supercheap. $13

Or, just use the bfh and a cold chisel to try and turn the nut.

So, The kit went in yesterday, ended up getting a hacksaw to the pin nut, after some strategic placement of myself under the ute it was off in 10mins, Im definitely feeling it this morning though! was a good workout.

Called into one of the stores in town and one of the guys there had 2 pins in stock for the d22. It must be a common problem with the bolt next to the fuel tank as he said he's had it happen to all D22 he's upgraded, thats why he always kept pins in store for them.

Anyway everything else went well, apart from one of the bolts on my shackles, its tightened right up but now just turns, seems like its shat itself, all other bolts went tight to the point I could not turn them anymore but this one just gave, Its tight but just turns now, wont undo or tighten up further, Think ill just lock-tight the **** out of it and keep an eye on it.

Desperately need my torsion bars done though, have them on order so should be throwing them in during the week, Back end is up now nice and high but the front did not change much, (Torsion bars are sagged but I didn't bother tightening them as they're coming out on Wednesday). She'll be off the road now anyway till I get the bars in. Hopefully they wont be to hard to replace.

Thanks for your info guys.

Good to see you got it sorted. I'd recommend going over all the nuts and bolts again after 100km or so. I did after I did mine and found the ubolts were fairly loose. They must have settled in a bit and loosened off. Since the second tension they have been fine since.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back