mag wheel weights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
guys, my son had a set of tires fitted to his D22 and the guys from Jax Tires used those hammer on wheel balance weights fitted on the outside of all 4 rims. is this normal practic to use this type of weight on an alloy rim ? or should these have been fitted to the inner side of rims [ out of view ] or even better should they have used the correct stick on balance weights ? i just don.t like looking at chunks of lead on a nice clean alloy rim.

if there`s a lip they hammer them on, they dynamically balance tyres, which means they put the weights where they work best, inside rim or out side, pretty doesn`t work best sorry. what tyre and was there much lead added?

You could probably ask them to put the stick on ones on instead, but as mentioned above, it depends if they can get the correct balance using them. They may not be able to place them close enough to the outside edge of the rim to balance it correctly...

tires are Hankook Dynapro A/T and the rims are the standard D22 / STR type.
maybe i am just abit over the top but looking at most other 4 x 4 stock alloy wheels there are no balance weights on the outer sides, even my stock alloys in the shed have no weights on the outer. imagine having a set of alloys worth say $2,000 a piece and the balancer guy hammers these weights on the outside . heads would roll i say.

Guess it depends on the tyre shop... some take more care than others. My factory alloys had balance weights hammered on the outside from the factory, but if you asked I don't see any reason they couldn't use the stick on ones.

the d22 alloys have a lip so you can use the weights there. if he isnt exactly hammering on them but placing them where they were ment to be placed. stick ones i dont really like them, our civic uses them have already seen one gone.

Maybe there is no alternative but those hammer on weights have destroyed the clear coat on our Pajero wheels and over time the alloy has started to corrode. Only thing that can be done is to have them professionally stripped and polished.

You can ask for them to use stick ons on the inside of the rim.
Only downside is that they can't get a good balance unless the weights are on the outside edge.

thanks but i didn,t think it mattered what side of the rim the weights are placed. isn,t to get balance of a wheel the total diameter to be the same in weight to if the wheel is placed on a horizontal bubble , the wheel will be perfectly horizontal with no drop on any part. ?? the old bubble balance unit was used years ago before computorised balancing machines came on the market.

The computer balancing machines show exactly how much weight is required on each side of the rim and the location of where the weight is required to be placed. You simply rotate the wheel on the balancing machine until the location is at the top (it has arrows that show the location) and then place the weight, either inside or outside depending on where it is required. Obviously some wheels don't have a lip on the outside edge so they have to use the stick on ones, but unless you ask, if the rim has a lip, they will hammer them on...

thanks bods and others, i think i will just leave it at that for now as its only really just a more cosmetic look to the rim so if the weights have to be there all good.

Latest posts

Back