Our Across OZ Holiday.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Burner

Reaction score
TripMap_zpsb7c03433.jpg

And here it is, our cross OZ holiday, 28 days, 9558km which included over 400km of red dirt and mud, sand, corrugations, 2 river crossing on barges, Outback highways with Kangaroos (alive & dead), Emus, Goats, Sheep, roaming cattle, Eagles – big buggers too, feasting on scattered dead roos on the roads, no Camels though. Used 1167L of Diesel, the best we paid was $1.51, the worst $202.9.
And this is the way we went:
Left Melbourne to Bordertown S.A., Semaphore Park (Adelaide), Thought about stopping in Snowtown, Port Augusta, Kimba, Ceduna, Penong, Head of the Bight, Nullarbor Roadhouse, Eucla, Madura, Cocklebiddy, Balladonia, Norseman, Esperance, Hyden (Wave Rock), Perth, Fremantle, Pinnacles Desert, Juriens Bay, Geraldton, Overlander, Shell Beach, Denham, Monkey Mia, Mt Magnet, Sandstone, Menzies, Lake Ballard, Kalgoorlie, Boulder, back to Balladonia, stopped at Cocklebiddy again (great place), Mundrabilla, Border Village, on to Ceduna, Morgan S.A., Mildura, Bendigo – home. Easy!

Met some great people along the way and saw some amazing sights and encountered some beautiful warm weather. Just gotta sort through the 1700 photos we took and I’ll get some pictures up.

Cheers 4 Burner.

Yep, a couple of those days were 700+K's, some days around 450ish other times we didn't use the car at all. Awesome trip, loved the Nullarbor Crossing, anyone here who has thought about doing it I'd say do it.

I set up an itinerary and we stuck it which makes things a lot easier.
Anyways, I'll get into scrolling through photo's over the weekend and get some up for a look see.

Cheers.

OK, I'll try and keep it interesting, I won't bother with all the Melb to Adelaide stuff and kick of in Kimba.

0001_zps6486b58b.jpg

Bite to eat at the Kimba Roadhouse.

0002_zps365c3156.jpg

Left Ceduna next morning and hit this fog, it just got thicker as we went till we got near Penong.

0008_zpsb553dea3.jpg

Penong.

0009_zps86c159ea.jpg

And we were off.

0010_zps1a47ea53.jpg

0011_zps513bb595.jpg

Head of the Bight. Pricey but it seemed worth it.

0012_zps8717972e.jpg

0013_zpse68eaa90.jpg

Free camp area at the entrance.

0014_zps3f3a526c.jpg

Plenty of people there considering it's in the middle of no where really.

0015_zpse236df83.jpg

Have you to agree with you, mate. The crossing is something everyone should do. I have done it twice (one time was just me and the dog) and it's something you just never get bored of.

Looks like an amazing route. Very jealous.

I agree Stockstandard, Australia's greatest road trip.

Next stop, Nullarbor Roadhouse to fuel up and grab a bite to eat.

0016_zps28724707.jpg

0017_zpsc45d13b3.jpg

0018_zpsaa1287fb.jpg

Headed further along the highway and pulled into a couple of the lookouts, some amazing views.

0019_zpsd19ef643.jpg

This was unbelievable, this load was strapped with string and rubber straps to factory roof bars on the Klugger with NSW plates. Why you wouldn't simply freight something like is beyond belief, 1 of the blue tarps was back down the highway then he took in front of me and lost the front tarp, I just over took him and left him behind before the rest of it came off.

0020_zpsa13b2cf9.jpg

I did the nullabor a few times 25 years ago
we were dodging more than live kangaroo's back then
some towns you wouldn't stop in after dark, even driving through was risky

great pics ..keep em coming

Last edited:
So, we got to the W.A. border station.

0021_zps17b1db16.jpg

Pulled into Eucla for the night.

0022_zpsc0aafaa8.jpg

The rooms behind the Roadhouse have stood the test of time.
I pressume the ramp is for dissability access, you could just picture a wheelchair going down it.

0023_zpsa3e7b9da.jpg

The deluxe family suite.

0024_zps3aaf97d2.jpg

Stopped at Cocklebiddy, anyone planning this trip make this a stop, grab a coffee and a lamington and have a chat.

0031_zpsb0340d64.jpg

0032_zps80a61fd2.jpg

0033_zpsabf8d223.jpg

Latest posts

Back