NSW camping and touring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's say it's extremely convenient. There are some places I can't take it - river crossings deeper than the rear step are an issue, as are roads with large rises due to the ramp-over between the rear Navara wheels and front van wheels.

But having your own shower, toilet, wardrobe etc and be able to stop anywhere for a rest or meal break with minimal fuss is a great thing.

what time of year did you go through bathurst and hill end old tony? and what there the temps like? i am now looking at going early september.

bryan

When we took the photo on the race track it was Queens Birthday weekend, and it was -3C as we entered the track.

Hill End we did in summer, and it was quite warm - lovely weather, actually.

It should be coolish up that way in September, because you're really still coming out of winter and Bathurst is somewhere around 650m above sea level - it's certainly not coastal territory! With that said the days can get warm since it's so far inland.

STR Chinchilla is expensive to stay at these day's and full of Gas pipe line staff if happy to go a bit further go to Condamine then head to Meandarra (all on the way to Nindigully ) about 7 km out from Condamine is Caliguel Lagoon (number 592 in camps 6 book)nice spot toilets etc .
Stop in at war museum at Meandarra then to Westmar then onto the gully

Chris

The weir is not far out of town so you may get some overnight traffic hooning around not sure about archers crossing
enjoy your trip

well 3500 km's later we are home, was a great trip, a little rush in some places but all in all a great trip, so amazing country side with more to see, will def be heading back nsw way soon, will post some pics later.

bryan

So our trip started the day before the election, and for the most part we didnt have much service so we got to miss all the political crapola.

The trip started from Maryborough QLD to Chinchilla

Chinchilla to Nindigully

Nindigully to Mount Kaputar NP

Mount Kaputar NP to Dubbo

Dubbo to Sofala

Sofala to Goulburn River NP via hill end and Mudgee

Goulburn River NP to Newcastle/swansea

Newcastle/swansea to port Macquarie Via Chincester dam

port Macquarie to Trial Bay/ south west rocks

Trial Bay/ south west rocks to Bundjalung NP

Bundjalung NP back to home

The first camp from maryborough was a free camp just out side Chinchilla called archers crossing, not a bad camp for the night, no facilities.

Stopped at Westmar for lunch, got to use the awning for the first time.

Taken on Chelmer road which cuts off the going through st george to nindigully.

There was a campdraft on at nindigully when we got there, went over for a look and found i was totaly outnumbered

To Be Continued

Last edited:
We stayed one night at nindigully had dinner at the pub then was kept up most the night by partying cow boys and girls.

P1270682_zpse7134009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next stop was Mungindi Where we found the One Ton Post, it is the marker post where ( dont mind the kids)

From there it was to Mt Kaputar NP which is about 50ks east of narrabri,
Bloody nice camp and some great walks and veiws. no good for caravans though sorry old tony ;)
The road up the mountain the first part of the climb is dirt.

Walk to the sumit

To Be continued..

One of the Views from the sumit

a shot of the camp at Kaputar, not the best pick but you get the idea.

From Kaputar is was on to Dubbo and the zoo, we stayed at the Big4 which is a nice park, we stayed there 2 night then i was on to Bathurst for a spin around MT panorama where the nav got Pole Pos.

On the way to bathurst we also stopped at the Wellington Caves and it turned out a cave tour was leaving shortly so we did it, i was pretty cool to say the least!!

From Bathurst it was on to sofala via limekilns to camp the free camp along the turon river, we like it here so much we stayed to for 2 night right on the waters edge.

A pic of the turon river on the way to sofala

We then headed over Hill End and had look around there, i did go down the bridle track about 1km but turned around where i could because 1 being bymyself and 2 going down there was really taking us in the wrong direction.

Hill end pub

Last edited:
Nice one mate, great pics. looks like you got to see and stop at heaps of places.
Awesome spot all around the Turon river, love that part of the world.

I just want to go an holidays now.:) You don't realize how narrow that track at Mt panorama is till you drive around it. It's a shame you couldn't do the bridal trail, it's a top drive. If it was open you could have done it to hill end from Bathurst. It comes out near the turn off to Dubbo. Keep the pics coming. Cheers.

Thanka guys, yeah we did cover a fair bit of ground, and would love to get back to the turon river area again!

any way here are some more pics From Goulburn river it was on to newcastle/warner bay/swansea, we stayed at the swansea caravan park which is a nice park, went for a drive over to stockton but didnt have time to get on the beach for a drive.

Back