NSW camping and touring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04SilverSTR

Reaction score
NSW camping and touring (now with pics from the trip)

NOW WITH PICS

Hi all,

looking at doing a two week trip in the last week of oct/1st week nov with the missus kids and camper.

ive kinda got the route planned but not sure on camping in nsw.

our first major destination is nindigully pub proably camping somewhere from maryborough to there, then on to dubbo and do the zoo, then to bathurst, and race around the track, these to places we will most likely set up the the caravan parks as i dont really like leaving the camper in free camps or the like.

then over to newcastle to some friends, i would like to check out barrington tops from here, then coffs then home.

anyone got any tips, things and camping place to check out around areas? also what the weather will be like that time of year?

i also like doing back roads and dirt roads staying off the major hiways as its ggod to see the country side!

cheers
bryan

Last edited:
At Dubbo, use the caravan park because the free sites aren't very secure. The zoo isn't cheap but it's worth it.

25km north of Bathurst is Macquarie Woods - if you're heading to Bathurst via Orange, it's about 25km out of Orange on the left. It's well-signposted and run by State Forests. Pit toilets available, no water but nice grounds for camping. Mt Panorama is a great drive but watch out stopping with a trailer down the esses - from Skyline down onto Conrod it's very steep.

If you leave Bathurst and head up through to Sofala then across to Hill End you'll see some historic towns and will be about 75km from Mudgee (wine country) - warning, narrow dirt roads. At Mudgee, stay at the Mudgee Riverside caravan park - good rates, nice level sites and very close to the shopping centre (but you can't tell from inside the park).

Heading up towards Ulan to leave, northeast to the Golden Highway then east to Merriwa/Newcastle. This is the better road, just watch for skippies at dawn/dusk around Denman/Mt Thorley/Broke. Watch the roadworks around Branxton, police patrol there quite a lot.

If you want to check out Barrington Tops then Coffs there are two ways to do it, the path I'd recommend (to see more of it) is to go the long way. From Newcastle head to Dungog, then out northwest towards Chichester Dam, turning off at Wangat Trig Rd. Go through the forest past Skimmings Gap rd down Middle Rd, over the ford and along to Frying Pan Creek campground (Telegherry is near the ford, but the campgrounds were closed 2 days ago - possibly open in October). Continue along past Frying Pan towards Monkerai Rd and out onto Dungog-Stroud Rd, which brings you onto Buckets Way. If you don't want to do Chichester Forest, just head north out of Dungog and over the level crossing.

Turn left onto Buckets Way and head into Gloucester. Turn left at the roundabout on the north side of town, past the NRMA and the Shell and follow the road through Barrington then look for the signs to Scone. This will take you right up over the Barrington Tops - it's dirt and takes a while to drive but apart from some surprisingly large and poorly-placed potholes it's a good drive. You exit onto Moonan Flats, ending up in Scone.

Turn right onto the New England Highway at Scone, drive up to Armidale and look for the Waterfall Highway. This will take you past several scenic waterfalls and into Dorrigo and meets the Pacific Highway near Raleigh, just south of Coffs Harbour.

wow tony thanks for that, will look into all these suggestions, is there somewhere you can leave you trailer while you do the lap of the track? also anyone know what the temps are like that time of year?

You can't park on the circuit. We did a lap with the van on the back:

attachment.php

and this is the spot where it was difficult to keep the van stopped (I had my wife hold the van's electric brakes on manually while I went and engaged the caravan's handbrake to help):

attachment.php

You might find find a place to unhitch on a street approaching the circuit, but there is an area that MIGHT be open just outside the circuit. Here's a pic of the roundabout just before the circuit (you go through a signed overpass first) - look on the RIGHT of this street view (3rd exit) and see if you can park in there. Otherwise, you can't stop nearby.

Enjoy the trip!

Yeah it'll be a piece of cake. If you don't have electric brakes on the camper, don't stop on the esses. It really is very, very steep - or have your passenger get out and take the photos.

just had a look a the map tony and that route looks good, i might cut across the wollemi np to hollow though from bylong, do you know what the road is like?

I've not been on the road to Bylong, the Golden Highway is all sealed but some of the roads around Bylong are supposed to be dirt - not sure. Someone else might have been there - help?

From memory, they don't recommend any form of towing on that track, and last I heard it was blocked at Monaghan's Bluff.

There might still be camping areas available at along the track from the Hill End side, but you can't proceed past the block - not only has rock fallen onto the track, but a large chunk of the track itself has slid down the hill.

I would advise leaving the trailer in town (possibly at the Village Campground) and taking a look down the trail, but it's not something I'd do solo just in case recovery was needed. It would be advisable to walk the section first.

From Bathurst, head to Sofala and take the western road (it's signposted). Brings you into Hill End, but take care - it's smooth graded dirt and we've met a number of total idiots that believe it's fine to occupy the whole road at high speed. One particular nutcase in a black BMW (looked and smelt like a foreign doctor) asked us for directions shortly after nearly running us off the side of the mountain.

Hi mate, yeah Bridal Track is blocked from a land slide and from what I have heard may never reopen. The Big 4 at Dubbo is a great park and safe. As tony said the riverside in Mudgee is a good park, very helpful owners. You will have no problems towing a camper around the mountain just watch for police, they run radars around there regularly. Check out the museum to if you into the racing stuff. You will be surprised how tight the track is in places. Done hundreds of laps around it and never gets boring. I have a photo of every car I've owned on pole position on the grid. 😄 Safala and Hill end are a thumbs up to.

Hope you have a good trip.

Definitely wouldn't do that if it had been raining. Much of the ground out there is yellowish clay and it's as slick as an eel in a bucket of oil.

yeah conditions permitting i guess, like you said tho maybe leave the CT in hill end and go for a seninc drive down and back may be the way to go.

bryan

Latest posts

Back