Fraser First timer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04SilverSTR

Reaction score
Fraser First timer NOW WITH PICS

so it looks like we are heading to fraser next month and as we are first timers i was just chasing some tips for going over there like:

towing a offroad camper, camping spots for the camper and good camping spots if we dont take the camper.

cheers
bryan

Trip Done and dusted see pics on page 2

Last edited:
Take the camper mate. towing it wont be to much trouble and much more comfy. all along the eastern beach is good for camping but I would say the further north you go the better.. marloo and ocean lake are good spots check the national parks map.. and they are handy to the orchid beach shop/fuel. but if touring the ilands inland attractions I would camp further south near the middle of the island down to eurong as this is where most of the tracks are accessed from. and if it gets windy ther is always the option of camping on the western side or inland, maybe central station... I have been going there for over 25 years my record is 8 times in one year. and still haven't seen it all... have a great trip.....

yer head north, we stayed at marloo, as above its nice and close to fuel and supplies, swimming and popular fishing spots, however if you want to see the southern end aswell, stay down south for a night or twoand make your way up, as fuel is used easily. However if fuel is not a concern, go nuts. Be sure to check out sandy cape.

As they all said but be carefull of the inland tracks with the camper and don't be worried about letting your tyres down to 15 in the soft stuff make sure you pop it up a bit more later

Yep go for it. Take the trailer. Last time Me the the old man were over there the auto locking hubs failed on the first day in his triton. Let all the pressures down and i only had to recover him once. Great place to go. Id grab a map, figure out what you want to see and do when your there, then choose a camp spot most central to what you want to do.

Bloody tritons despite being ugly they are a good truck,shame your dad's hubs failed at the worst place but once fixed it will serve him well

Dunduburra is alright, stayed there twice, it gets really hot though cause there is no breeze and not that much tree cover.

Central station is nice, can get cold at night though.

where you want to stay IMO really depends on what you want to do, are you fishing or seeing the sights?

Dundaburra does have nice showers though, I reckon it does have a reasonable amount of tree cover. And the firepit too, if you want to have a fire (one of only 2? or 3 places on the island you can have a fire)

Went to fraser over christmas and the 2 other mates both towed jayco pop tops up with no troubles at all, we stayed about a km down from the maheno on the beach, great spot close to all the towns and only a 5 min drive to eli creek to have a swim in the arvo. We travelled all the way to the sandy cape for a day trip and highly recommend it, great 4wding and awesome views, had my tyres at 20 the whole time and didn't come close to being stuck..... have fun

Well guys the trip is done and dusted, spent 4 hours cleaning the car last night.

we stayed at Dundubara, very good facilities there and great for the the kids, good size camp sites as well. We didnt end up taking the camper mainy because of the extra cost on the barge from hervey bay, but altough the tack back to kingfisher wes rough and soft in places i still could have towed it no dramas!!

all in all it was a great 6 days and we loved every minute of it, weather was spot on ant one shower on the first night, but than perfect days from then on.

Had water over the bonnet of the nav twice, so i know the snorkle works!!, once at waddy point and the other on one of the inland lake track near lake birrabeen.

also one the i loved was hooting down the beach at 80 then dropping it into low range and crawling over coffie rock. and on the was to sandy cape hammering through the soft bypass dunes was mega fun!!

any way here is some teaser pics for you all!!
the camp at Duddubara
P1270138.JPG

Sandy cape, what a fun drive!
P1270186.JPG

At the Maheno
P1270321.JPG

and a random one of my nave and my mate 4.2gu at the pinicals
P1270477.JPG

cheers bryan

How good is fraser!!!
Ive been there a few times and love it.
Post some more pics if you have them

how did the KM2's go in the sand? I have BFG AT's and they like to bite in already but would love a set of KM'2 however for the beach they could be worse so I dunno.

How good is fraser!!!
Ive been there a few times and love it.
Post some more pics if you have them

bloody awesome!!! will do bryce have 420 odd plus the ones i will get from out friends

how did the KM2's go in the sand? I have BFG AT's and they like to bite in already but would love a set of KM'2 however for the beach they could be worse so I dunno.

surprisingly good really, tried to take off a few time in 2wd in the soft sand and it wanted to dig in so a quick through of the short stick and i was out!

bryan

here i a few more pics,
the nav making a splash, water over the windscreen, didnt miss a beat, i know the snorkel works!!

navsplash.jpg

nav on the coffee rock heading to sandy cape.
navrocks.jpg

Lunch at waddy point
P1270171.JPG

the close encounter with a dingo while we where down at the water!
P1270221.JPG

A shot from the board walk to the champagne pools of Indian head
P1270142.JPG

one of the 6-8 dingos we came across
P1270369.JPG

some more, the one standing up was feeding on fish carcases
P1270169.JPG

on the barge on the way over, a bit out of order i know.
P1270064.JPG

Hope you enjoy
cheers
bryan

Back