Cape York with a camper trailer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04SilverSTR

Reaction score
Hi all,

As alot of you have been to the cape, and with a possible trip for us next year pending im wanting to through the question out there of what people think of towing a Camper to the cape? RLI i know you have done it what are your thoughts.

We a have a brand new (now 6 months old) Johnno's offroad camper, so im confident its up to the task, but in my mind i think tow is going to be much more work fiscally and mentally, although maybe more comfortable for the missus and kids i see it alot simpler to just tent it.

so through me your thoughts!

cheers
bryan

Hey Bryan, good question. We are thinning about doing the same thing, but from melbs tho. Only slightly longer.... Anyone's input would be great. We're looking at buying a new camper, still unsure of brand but will be Offroad and sporting nav rims to ease things.
Cheers all,
James.

Gday Bryan, im having the same thoughts about camper trailer to the cape going june next year, not to concerned about damage to trailer etc but probably more my confidence in towing it up there thinking of leaving it at cairns and using rv5 tent for that trip up further im more confident with just taking the nav and where we can go with it we will need our trailer beforehand though we will be on the road 3 months before we get to the cape taking wife and kids on a road trip! all the best.

Take them. no problems. Apart from the swims on the OTT, which is optional anyway(or could be done as a loop overnighter or two with the tent?), as far as i remember it, the big problem is corrugations.

Question to others; are there any swims left on the main road north? I understand that the Wenlock, Archer and ??? now have bridges across

Frankly, unless the roads are now totally fscked, it will be no worse then any other robust gravel road.

If you read all the posts that have gone up this year, some locations off the main route may be difficult to get into, but that isn't all.

Rule One; Drive for the conditioners and do not drive like the idiots in all those stupid videos.
Rule Two; Be sensible
Rule Three; Be flexible and have alternates up your sleeve because if you don't go there this time, it is a reason for going back again.

Hi Bryan,
Looking at doing the same trip in october,A work mate went in july this year with a camper, had no problems he used most of the chicken tracks,I think the last big water crossing caused problems.. No recovery gear was needed..

Hi james,
Iam starting from Renmark sa,Its going to be a big trip for me to,Going.. Bourke,Charleville,Emerld,Charter Towers,Townsville,A 20 year dream

Hi all,

As alot of you have been to the cape, and with a possible trip for us next year pending im wanting to through the question out there of what people think of towing a Camper to the cape? RLI i know you have done it what are your thoughts.

We a have a brand new (now 6 months old) Johnno's offroad camper, so im confident its up to the task, but in my mind i think tow is going to be much more work fiscally and mentally, although maybe more comfortable for the missus and kids i see it alot simpler to just tent it.

so through me your thoughts!

cheers
bryan

G'day Bryan,

Mate, the Johnno's off-road camper trailers are a good piece of kit, the trailer hire company's in Cairns use those camper trailers. For piece of mind i would contact one of those company's for any feed back. Personally, you will not have a problem towing your camper up to the Cape.

If you do not want to tow a camper trailer to Cape York, you can travel to the Cape virtually staying at hire accommodation at the various roadhouse/ camp grounds on the way up on the Developmental road and at Bamaga.

Phone the various roadhouse/ camp grounds for prices.

All the best regards,

RLI
:rambo:

Hey Bryan, good question. We are thinning about doing the same thing, but from melbs tho. Only slightly longer.... Anyone's input would be great. We're looking at buying a new camper, still unsure of brand but will be Offroad and sporting nav rims to ease things.
Cheers all,
James.

G'day James,

Check out the various threads of some of the members who have traveled to the Cape in the last two years.

Regards,

RLI

Gday Bryan, im having the same thoughts about camper trailer to the cape going june next year, not to concerned about damage to trailer etc but probably more my confidence in towing it up there thinking of leaving it at cairns and using rv5 tent for that trip up further im more confident with just taking the nav and where we can go with it we will need our trailer beforehand though we will be on the road 3 months before we get to the cape taking wife and kids on a road trip! all the best.

G'day Webby,

You will be surprised by how many camper trailers and caravans you will see at the various camp grounds when you head up to the Cape. If you have a proper off-road camper trailer and not your back-yard 6/4 tip trailer, you should not have any problems.

Regards,

RLI

Take them. no problems. Apart from the swims on the OTT, which is optional anyway(or could be done as a loop overnighter or two with the tent?), as far as i remember it, the big problem is corrugations.

Question to others; are there any swims left on the main road north? I understand that the Wenlock, Archer and ??? now have bridges across

Frankly, unless the roads are now totally fscked, it will be no worse then any other robust gravel road.

If you read all the posts that have gone up this year, some locations off the main route may be difficult to get into, but that isn't all.

Rule One; Drive for the conditioners and do not drive like the idiots in all those stupid videos.
Rule Two; Be sensible
Rule Three; Be flexible and have alternates up your sleeve because if you don't go there this time, it is a reason for going back again.

Well said Terryc,

Commonsense is all that is required to have a safe and happy trip to the Cape and back.

Regards,

RLI
:sniper:

G'day Bryan,

Mate, the Johnno's off-road camper trailers are a good piece of kit, the trailer hire company's in Cairns use those camper trailers. For piece of mind i would contact one of those company's for any feed back. Personally, you will not have a problem towing your camper up to the Cape.

If you do not want to tow a camper trailer to Cape York, you can travel to the Cape virtually staying at hire accommodation at the various roadhouse/ camp grounds on the way up on the Developmental road and at Bamaga.

Phone the various roadhouse/ camp grounds for prices.

All the best regards,

RLI

Thanks RLI, still not sure what to do, in one mind im thinking no camper easier 4x4ing and parking and in the other it will be more space while set up with the wife and kids!!

bryan

Latest posts

Back