Light bar wiring question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvis

Reaction score
I have read all the light bar installation threads and still can't work out how to wire the hi beam into the harness. I'm installing a Stedi 22" light bar and have posted picks of the harness that came with the light bar. I think that its the blue wire that attaches to the hi beam but I'm not sure how to attach it? The wires that come of my head lights are very thin. I think that I have to attach the blue wire on the harness to the yellow wire on the head lights but not sure how to do this?

Attachments

• 20151024_142849.jpg
    20151024_142849.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 20151024_142856.jpg
    20151024_142856.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 185
  • 20151024_142922.jpg
    20151024_142922.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 20151024_142929.jpg
    20151024_142929.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 175
Not sure John. Think that its generic. It came with the light bar from Stedi. I think that I need a five pin relay and the one on the harness is only 4. Not sure. Have it all installed just need to hook it up to the hi beam.

Honestly, the easiest way to tap into the high beam or any other circuit is with an "add a circuit fuse tap" like: http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/add-a-circuit

Plenty to be found on ebay.

I would make sure that the fuse tap takes 2 fuses. That is one to protect the existing circuit and a second to protect the new circuiit.

just need to find the high beam fuse and purchase the correct size tap to match the fuse eg mini or whatever.

Thanks Joe. My question is once i install the fuse tap Which wire on my harness do I plug into it?

Quick question. Did you have spotlights before trying to install the lightbar.
If you did, you can just wire into the existing harness. It's what I did when I installed my LED light bar just recently.
I didn't have to use the new harness that came with the lightbar.

Looking at that pic you have posted, the blue wire goes to the high beam trigger. So you can either tap into the high beam wire on the back of the headlight or use one of those add a circuit things. When I tapped mine, i just opened the cover on the back of the 3 pin plug on the headlight and put the trigger wire in the socker with the high beam wire, with enough wire poking out from the insulation to make good contact and clipped it back together. It has been fine for a while like that now and easily removable if the need arises...

The relay looks fine, 4-pin relays are used to turn a single item on and off and that's what you need here. 5-pin relays are to switch one item on when another is off, then flip that over (so that the first light switches off and the second switches on, say).

I got that system with my lightbar and threw it away because it doesn't allow for activation on high beam which is the legal way to do it. I even threw the relay socket away. What you need is this:

Connect one wire from the battery directly to a fuse. Connect the other side of that fuse to pin 30 of a relay (via a socket is fine). That's the input power done.

Connect one wire from the high beam wire as Bods has described to pin 85 of the relay. This is the trigger.

Connect a wire to an earth source under the dash to a switch placed somewhere on the dash board. Connect the other side of this switch to a wire that you run out of the cabin and connect it to pin 86 of the relay. This is what allows the relay to turn on and off.

Next to last - connect pin 87 of the relay to the RED wire of the light bar. No need for a fuse here.

Lastly, connect a wire directly from battery negative to the black wire of the light bar.

That's it. Operation is simple: with the switch inside in the "off" position you can flick high beam as much as you like the light bar won't come on. Now, with high beam ON, flick the driving lights switch inside - the light bar comes on. Turn high beam off - the light bar turns off. That's the legal way to do it.

Thanks so much for all the help guys. I'll let you know how I go when I get all the stuff.

Hi guys, just an add on question to this subject. Is it ok to tap two separate relays ( one for a light bar and one for 7inch HID spotties) into the one high beam wire or should you only tap once. How much power does it take to trigger the relay ?

Should I tap each light set into the two separate high beam wires on the separate head lights.

Thanks in advance.

Nah mate, you can use the high beam wire to trigger as many relays as you want. The only use milliamps to trigger, so the high beams won't even notice the load. On mine I have 2 relays for hids, 1 for a small light bar and 1 60a relay for a light bar on the roof, all triggered from the high beam wire through switches.

Just make sure the wiring you use to supply the power from the battery through the relay to the lights is decent as well as fusing close to the battery...

That's the nice thing about relays. Trigger voltage will be < 9V, constant draw (to hold the relay in the closed position) will be around 30mA (0.03 * 12 = 0.36 watts). You could whack 10 of them on there and it wouldn't notice.

What you COULD do (if you were worried): cut the low beam wire to the headlight bulb, connect the bulb side to pin 87 of a (10A will do) 12V relay. Connect pin 85 to the other part of the wire you just cut, pin 86 to earth and pin 30 to the battery via a fuse. Repeat for high beam. Repeat again for the other side of the car. Now all low + high beam goes through separate relays and your entire power draw through the light circuit is just 120mA (when on LOW beam using the PASS function which brings the high beam on as well).

Unfortunately you don't gain much by doing it (there's no real point, although one member here says his headlights are brighter for having done this) and you introduce many more failure points. It IS recommended though if you're using 90/100W halogen replacements because that's a LOT more amps (nearly double) running through the normal wiring.

Thanks Tony, but I am a real basic unit and will stick with the one wire.
I also bought some rocker switches to replace the crappy switches that come with the supplied looms so I will be searching for wiring instructions for them soon.

This has always been a great forum and all you blokes are very generous with your knowledge.
Thanks again.

Back