Oil change on a long trip.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Burner

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering, if you were doing a long trip over a period of weeks, and i'm talking between 8 to 9,000km, would you recomend an oil change at some point during the trip.

Does anybody do this.

Cheers.

If it was serviced just prior to the trip I personally would not bother. We will be doing somewhere around a 20,000k trip later in the year and I will have the problem of finding somewhere reputable to do a service in a timeframe that suits our travel.

No it will be fine. Keep in mind the k's travelled to the number of starts, less idling over that time is way less detrimental to your engine, your oil last longer under those conditions than everyday running around.

It really depends on where you're going & if/what you're towing; if it's all, or mostly black top & not towing, then I personally wouldn't bother. We did a 10,000km+ trip in 2011, including 9,000km of tar & the Ute didn't miss a beat. Serviced it when we got home.

But, if driving in lots of sand, or mud, or towing a heavy van, where the car is working harder, then I'd consider doing a service on a trip.

Had this happen a few times as I change oil and filter every 5k phone ahead check with the service mechanic of your choice. Most charge 15mins labour, for that price it's not worth dragging all the gear with you. But check what oil they use first.

I've gone over the top some may suggest BUT

and dual Z9's mounted under the bull bar--literally 2mins to replace

Latest posts

Back