ZD30 lift pump set ups. Post 'em up!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so fitted auber pressure gauge. Reg is set to 9.4psi (thats just the random setting i put it on with initial instal) with engine off. At idle it fluctuates - pulses even - between high 8's and low 9's.
Driving can be anywhere depending on load but never seems to go below about 5.5, but does seem to dip momentarily below that with initial pedal input. Im talking really standing on it though.

So there you have it folks. If you go the Tweake' 044 method and cant be arsed getting electronic gauge, just set it to 9-10psi with engine off for a good healthy 50-6psi at WOT.

Thanks again tweake's. The 044/holley(style) reg combo is a winner!

your going to get some pulsing back up the line from the injection pump.
my hilux is fairly bad for it when using a mechanical gauge. the Aurbin gauges have a smoothing setting to dampen that out so you don't see it, if you wish.

glad to see the flow rate is that good. thats actually better then a lot of the carters etc.

having the pressure go from high at low rpm to low at high rpm is probably better than a flat pressure curve. that way you should gain a bit of timing in the low rpm where the IP is a bit slack.

Yeah it seems to be a spot-on set up. Oodles of torque down low - turbo seems to be spooling up a bit earlier - could be placebo effect but im loving it. Very quiet - im used to really hearing an 044 on other cars - i think the rubber boot from the plumbing section makes a big difference there.
The pulsing - i wasn't really seeing it with the mechanical gauge - but it was fluid filled (snipped nipple - snipple!) which was probably dampening the reading. On the auber - is it the "Filter" setting? I put it on "2" just to see if it made a difference - none that i could see - then i lost interest, lol. Can still read it fine despite the pulsing. Actually pulses a lot about a full psi up and down. Seems to smooth out with load.

Bit of an update; been noticing pressure gradually going south since install.
Always reads 9.5 -10 with ign on, but lost a couple psi at idle - down to about 5 or 6, but at full(ish) tilt down from a stable 5 when new, then gradually lost more and mor over the weeks now for the 1st time getting negative pressure - 0.3 or so.
Next time i get a chance will change/clean filters and see what happens.
Thinking might try out a fake holley black if its not just something stupid.

any change in pump sound ?
wondering if its a pump issue or the bypass valve is leaking a bit.

Im wondering the same. No difference in pump sound apart from the usual cranky 044 changes in pitch for no apparent reason.

Ok, so the 044 is continuing to go down hill. Pressure with engine off is same as day 1, pressure at idle a tad lower, but its now down to negative 2psi driving gently and as low as 4.

If i pull the fuse on it it goes down to -6 at idle (with bypass in place) so it still better than nowt, but it keeps getting worse so a bit worried about it.

I dont know if i cooked it when i did the install (i did a brain fart and plumbed it backwards on install, had some issues priming untill i realised what i'd done) or if it doesnt like diesel or if its just a dud.

I just put a clamp on the bypass hose and no difference so its not the check valve.

Picked up an Aeroflow Holley black knock-off yesterday from local speed shop ($100, $22 for both fittings) Looks good on paper - a lot more flow, less than half the current draw. Will fit it up today and report back.

Last edited:
one thing before you swap the pumps over.
fit a bit of clear fuel line and see if its sucking air into the pump.

Good idea but too late :( What would be the symptoms of air in lines? Ive used all good EFI hose and proper fittings - no visible signs of leaks.

So anyway, the Fake Holley Black (aeroflow) definitely keeps up with the injector pump better than the 044 but it really is loud. I'll attach a pic at the bottom, but ive since slipped a stubby holder over it in a stroke of genius (my neighbours idea). It helped with the noise a tiny bit, but it protects (and hides) the wiring and pump.

The noise really seems to be travelling through the chassis. Will procure some proper rubber isolaters and see if that helps.

Anyway it turns out it was a clogged fuel filter, even though it was a pretty recent one. Probably had something to do with running a cople of tanks of diesel additive since install? Dunno. The 100micron strainer was clean apart from a couple pubes and flecks of shit - wasnt worth cleaning.

The "holley" definitely was a couple psi up on the 044 even with the clogged filter. After i changed it i had to dial the reg down a couple psi. Got it set at about 7psi at idle and it never goes much below 5 at full tilt. Im cruising around at 6-7psi most of the time.

Will def try the vinyl hose trick out of curiosity when im in there with some rubber mounts next time.

Attachments

• Aeroflow black 005.jpg
    Aeroflow black 005.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Ok, so as tweakes warned, the holley pumps are LOUD although the black does outflow the 044 by a far margin, the 044 still does the job, as long as th fuel filter is clean, and they can gunk up QUICK as I found out now that im monitering lift pressure. Was -6psi suction with th lift pump fuse pulled. With fresh filter im getting -2.

So anyway got around to further sound proofing/isolating the pump using three m6 machine isolators, a bit of scrap metal, a riv-nut, a stubby holder and some leftover dynamat, all of which i had lying around apart from two of the isolators.

It made a difference - much more tolerable, but still loud. At least its not louder than the engine now lol.
If anyone else does this i'd suggest the 044. Have noticed Proflow do a knockoff of the 044 that claims 380lph which is a fair upgrade if true.

Attachments

• lift pump 003.jpg
    lift pump 003.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 86
  • lift pump 002.jpg
    lift pump 002.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 105
  • lift pump 004.jpg
    lift pump 004.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 93
Ok, so as tweakes warned, the holley pumps are LOUD although the black does outflow the 044 by a far margin, the 044 still does the job, as long as th fuel filter is clean, and they can gunk up QUICK as I found out now that im monitering lift pressure. Was -6psi suction with th lift pump fuse pulled. With fresh filter im getting -2.
was that the main fuel filter or the pre-filter (before the lift pump)?

Main filter. Pre filter (100 micron strainer) was clean. Pressure while driving went from 5psi to negative 2 or 3 over the course of a couple of weeks and a few tanks.

Main filter. Pre filter (100 micron strainer) was clean. Pressure while driving went from 5psi to negative 2 or 3 over the course of a couple of weeks and a few tanks.
i have always wondered if we should be running dual parallel filters on these.

Lift Pump uses

It can also help starting just a little easier as well, which saves hammering your pour old Battery every day, but turn it off once you have your easier startup,
You can find them on "Evilbay" for thirty Dollars Au' and they give out thirty PSI
as well which helps if you ever need to bleed the system out in the middle of nowhere, and only cost a half hour to fit with all the Fittings provided along with
it, A real tightwads delight!
regards,

W.A.'s Leading Tightwad!:deadhorse2:

Thats a good idea highway man, using a smaller, cheaper pump on a switch with a good bypass valve just for starting and priming. The set up im using requires a big pump that's on all the time and can keep up with IP.

Bit of an update while im here; after driving it a bit, the (fake) holley black is actually very quiet now that ive isolated it more thoroughly, ( at least the carters come with proper rubber mounts) but it has made me realise just how much road noise comes through the steel panel behind the seat on a single cab. Its just a single skin of bare painted metal. Ive ordered some deadener and liner. Will insulate it, should be a quieter vehicle and better in summer and winter temp wise too.

Good post man, never knew a out the spill line mod.... i was thinking of putting a fuel cooler on her, if my pump has gone i think ill be doing yge spill line mod and fit a fuel cooler under the tray...

Any thoughts on a fuel cooler Tweek �� maybe a trans cooler?

Good post man, never knew a out the spill line mod.... i was thinking of putting a fuel cooler on her, if my pump has gone i think ill be doing yge spill line mod and fit a fuel cooler under the tray...

Any thoughts on a fuel cooler Tweek �� maybe a trans cooler?
trans cooler should work fine. just mount it correctly so it doesn't get air stuck in it and mount it where hot air can't get to it.
i found the D22 tends to blow a fair bit of hot air forward around the side of the radiator and headlights at low speeds.
if under the ute just watch exhaust temps. the danger with coolers is they work well as heaters to.

of interest on one of the BMW cars that runs the same injection pump, do not use a return line. they use a cooler and a little bonnet scoop for it.

trans cooler should work fine. just mount it correctly so it doesn't get air stuck in it and mount it where hot air can't get to it.
i found the D22 tends to blow a fair bit of hot air forward around the side of the radiator and headlights at low speeds.
if under the ute just watch exhaust temps. the danger with coolers is they work well as heaters to.

of interest on one of the BMW cars that runs the same injection pump, do not use a return line. they use a cooler and a little bonnet scoop for it.

Sorry man, missed this post... ooo any pics of the BMW one?
Mines in now, just working out what new pump to get and fuel line plumbing...
Found this baby
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW-BLACK-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-140-GPH-AF49-1010/172983044024
To big?

The cooler is protected well, it has the bike wheel well and now a sheet of alloy seperating it from the exhaust heat..

I spoke to the injector pump man today and he said they set their pumps up on the bench with a 5 to 7 psi feed ! He also said what you stated regarding flow rate being very important.. Did you see the post in patrol4x4 by Gu2 ? He is running the Carter 4601 and not the 4600 now! What do you think about running the 4601 on the Nav zd30's ?

Attachments

• 20180719_140101.jpg
    20180719_140101.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back