Ticking noise after oil & filter change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey fellas

i am starting to have some dramas with my 09 d22. Everytime i start it it makes a horrible ticking sound coming from the front of the motor. It is in sequence and in time with the engine rev and rotation. i was thinking my timing chain is about to pack it in or could it be injectors starting to wear out?

it may even be the fact that it is on cold starts. It is very noticeable on first start of the morning and it eventually goes away after a long drive. Its getting me a bit on edge as to whther i really wanna keep driving it around.

Only recent changes are an oil change which i changed the oil i am using and i have changed the tunes on the cipit module for some fuel usage testing. The ticking was there before i changed the tune and i cant remember if it was there before i changed the oil.

how do i know if its a timing change ensioner or something?

Mate,

As u might remember I had mine rebuilt by the Nissan dealer under warranty but have experienced the same thing. I'm stuffed if I can identify the sound but I'm sus of the hydraulic tensioner. I had a 10w 50 oil in it and it started ticking again. I dumped it n brought magnatec and it all went away.

I think I might opt to change the oil out for the nulons 5-30 diesel fully synthetic oil I was originally using. I think I remember it ticked for a very short period and it went away. I have heard that these yd25 motors need a thinner based oil so the hydraulic tensioner activated properly rather than waiting for the oil to warm up first.

If this doesnt work (which it should) I will be giving yd25.com.au a ring and finding out about the duplex timing chain kits and getting it fitted.

Rusty

Hi Hodge, I know this is an old thread but I have the exact scenario as you describe in the original post. Changed the oil and filter 2 days ago, now that random ticking noise had started. Just wondering did you ever find the culprit?

I had the same noise when I used fully syn 5W. I tow heavy loads with the Ute daily & change the oil & filter every 4-5K.

Next oil change I went with semi syn 10W & the noise went away and hasn't come back.

I have no idea if it was just loud & causing no damage, but it sounded awful.

Yep, I have been using 10w-40 each time... I drove around a bit today and the noise didn't surface, will keep an ear out for it over the next few days and report back...

I have kept an eye on it over the last couple days and the ticking has returned but is louder during some drives than others. Definitely not timing chain noise as I have been there and done that, and the timing chain was replaced about 10,000k's ago. The noise is from near the top of the motor directly above the oil filter...
Going to look into the belts as I know they can get noisy but once again the sound isn't really coming from the front of the motor.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Also, does anyone know if the OP (Hodge) is still active on this forum or does anyone know him personally that could contact him on my behalf? The noise he describes in the OP sounds exactly the same and would love to know what the issue for him ended up being.

Cheers guys

brad, you say this noise is around the oil filter area and this only started when you changed the oil and filter correct ? now did you fit a genuine oil filter with the correct part numbering or an aftermarket copy ? to my understanding of the genuine filter versus the non genuine filter is the genuine has a non return type valve fitted so oil stays in the filter when the engine is not running and the other filters do not have this valve fitted so any oil will just run back down into the engine sump when not running. in my early days of motor vehicles , when you changed the oil filter you started up the engine and there was always a ticking sound until the filter filled up with oil. so what i feel is your issue is simular to this where the filter might not be totally full or something like this that is causing the ticking. genuine filter could be faulty if thats what you fitted or non genuine filter not holding oil up., how about you replace the oil filter with another genuine type and see if this makes the tick go away. The only other cause for this ticking could be a partial blockage of one of the oil journals that feed oil to the lifters which are above the oil filter under the top rocker cover. a good oil flush can clear the blockage if its this.

It might be worth investing in a stethoscope (or a home made one with a screwdriver in the end of a bit of garden hose) and having a poke around when you can hear the noise. This will give you an idea of an exact location because sounds can appear to come from somewhere they are not...

I vaguely recall being able to hear something on mine, as far as I can recall, it is a lot easier to hear it when going through a drive thru at a fast food joint because of all the walls around you, but I can't say I was concerned about it. Since warranty has finished on mine (5 years now) I have been using Ryco filters and have tried a few different brands of oil but all have been 5w30.

If you get to the bottom of it please let us know... Mine has around 113k km on it now, 2010 model.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

^ I just want to add that my car has had Ryco filters fitted for the last 100,000km at least and the box states that the filter contains a non-return (anti-drain) valve. My timing chains are still in good condition.

As for the ticking sound, I'd grab a mechanic's stethoscope too, and try to nail the location more precisely.

There is an oil cooler above the filter and crankcase gases are sent out from there through the PCV to the intake. I wonder if what you're hearing is just blow-by gas being squeezed through a dirty aperture at high speed for a short duration resulting in what sounds like a tick? The stethoscope should help to sort it out for you.

^ I just want to add that my car has had Ryco filters fitted for the last 100,000km at least and the box states that the filter contains a non-return (anti-drain) valve. My timing chains are still in good condition.

As for the ticking sound, I'd grab a mechanic's stethoscope too, and try to nail the location more precisely.

There is an oil cooler above the filter and crankcase gases are sent out from there through the PCV to the intake. I wonder if what you're hearing is just blow-by gas being squeezed through a dirty aperture at high speed for a short duration resulting in what sounds like a tick? The stethoscope should help to sort it out for you.

That's what I thought, I use them too.

Yes I agree, the ryco oil filters are good too and have the non return valve. Previous to my timing chains being replaced I had used either genuine or ryco filters. When the tensioners were at their noisiest before they were replaced was actually when I had a genuine filter on. The engine was actually much quieter with a ryco. That said, since the chains and tensioner have been done I haven't had any startup noises with the genuine filter. This noise in particular starts after the car has warmed up.
As a few of you have suggested I'll get a stethoscope of some sort on to it and see if we can locate it a bit more precisely. My mechanic who did the chains had a quick listen the other day and is leaning towards an injector... I'll keep ya's posted as I find out more.

Cheers

Well after my big speel above, mine isn't doing it anymore. I do recall hearing it at come stage, but can't recall how long ago now. It could be worth running a can of that liquimoly diesel purge through it and see if that helps.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Its been a few months since I last have an update on this. I found that the ticking noise I was getting after the oil change went away after about a tank full of fuel, so about 650k's... The noise never surfaced again until today after another oil change... I am guessing it's just a bit noisier while the oil is new and quietens down as the oil gets a bit more used. I am going to guess that this new bout of ticking will go away again after a similar amount of k's. Anyone else come across this before? With engines being a bit noisier directly after an oil change that becomes nice and quiet again after a few hundred k's?

The oil is at it's thickest when new so should be no noise at all unless you are using synthetic. What oil are you using?
I use a Valvoline I think is 15- 40W, no issues.
Mine only gets a bit rattly on a cold start up in Winter then after a few seconds quietens up.

Latest posts

Back