blown turbo or just an exhaust seal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddross

Reaction score
Was just on my way home 2night and my engine just made a pop and then started making a ratling noise and ran loud. Opened the bonet up and the exhaust fumes were coming out from between the turbo/manifold and the fire wall. Havnt done much work with turbos so im not to sure about this situation. Motors a 02 zd30ddt. Cheers

EGR tube failures seem common! As Tweak'e says, block both ends off and you're done.

A failed turbo will likely make a screeching sound or a bang and would be followed by a dramatic lack loss in power. If your power loss is mild it's probably EGR which is robbing the turbine of its power source.

If your dump pipe has come loose, watch for broken studs.

It's certainly worth pulling the intake hose off the front of the turbo and giving the shaft a wiggle. No movement = ok. Movement = start shopping.

Company up your way flogs genuine Honeywell Garrett turbochargers at a third of the price that Nissan sell them for (and less than half what you can buy them for if you can get a staff member to grab one). Ours cost $1400 or so, the "staff discount" was $3500 and I was told "you don't wanna know" somewhere around $4500 from Nissan.

If your turbo is toast, I'll go dig out the paperwork and get you the phone number.

Latest posts

Back