D40 - STX auto diesel timing chain problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navara nomad

Reaction score
Just put a thread about this on the new members forum as I only joined up a couple of days ago.

Wondering whether other owners have had problems with the vacuum pump sprocket - theres a chip off the timing chain.

Put it in for 60,000km service over a week ago and wont have it back until a part arrives from Spain - maybe 4 to 7 weeks we have been told. Its a 2007 model, towing a van and been serviced regularly. Since we bought it has been serviced at 5000 km intervals.

Half way through a trip to WA from the east coast so not too happy!

The local service place has been great, Nissan Aust have provided a hire vehicle hopefully until we have our own back but we are unhappy about the time it will take to get the part and get mobile again.

navara nomad

Sounds like they are going to put it in a bottle and float it over. Haven't they heard of air freight! Glad Nissan came to the party with a hire vehicle but I don't suppose it will allow you to tow your van and continue your journey. Where are you stuck and do you have to stay in the area?

On start up (First thing in the morning) I have a rattle in the engine for about 5-10 seconds..

I mentioned it to the service manager and they have checked it out.... They said they also heard the rattle and believe it is from the timing chain, they could not directly located what was causing it to rattle (which tensioner or pulley) so there replacing the entire timing chain assembly.....

No cant tow the van - have given us a Camry, cant take it off road...etc. Have 100km daily limit unless we want to pay for excess kms at 27.5 cents per km!
Staying near Geraldton in WA until we have the Navara back.

Jabba, what model, how many kms and is it still under warranty? Hope yours doesnt take as long to get repaired as ours.

It's an Sept 07, series II. duel cab, T/ diesel, 30'000km, 5 years warranty... Booked in on the 9th June for repairs.... BUT it is going in tomorrow on a tow truck because it has blowen either a diff, hub or CV today when I was pulling the boat out off the water..... Not happy Jan...

Crapping myself about the warranty.. Heard about all the bung fights people have had with Nissan trying to get there front diff's fixed under warranty when they have blowen...

That is the reason I have left my D40 stock standard. If something goes wrong, I don't want the manufacture blaming some modifaction for the failure....

I agree with you Jabba.
All the things I've heard about Nissan and how they deal with warranty has given me second thoughts about getting another one.

The damage is, broke the spider gears and cracked the housing.....

Nissan Aust have authorized approval for the repairs this afternon... I am a very happy about how fast they got the approval through, and I willl sleep well tonight...

Incedently there was another D40 there today (in for a service) and it had a 4-6" lift kit and 35" tyres,, looked tough.... I ask the manager how I would have gone if my D40 was modded like that one... He said I would have no chance with Nissan approving the repairs because it has been modified for heavy duty/extreme 4 wheel driving...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back