front hub locking screws

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
i'm tracking a scraping noise at the mo. sounds like front pad squeal. only happens on right hand turns.
this morning i tightened up the right hand wheel bearing, as it was a bit loose.

when i went to remove the locking ring i noticed the locking screws where loose. one was half out and the other almost completely out.

anyone heard of that happening before?

btw had new disks and pads about 4 years ago.

could be a sloppy bearing causing this combined with worn brake pads [ 4 years old ] the locking boltscould have come lose from not being tightened correctly or a vibration has caused them to losen.

Sounds to me that your front pads are worn and the sound your hearing are what's called screamers.
They are an indicator to tell you to change your pads when they are low.
The little metal tab touches the disk giving you the noise that you are hearing.

pads are about half worn. but i will try to check tomorrow the other side in case i heard wrong and got the sides mixed up.
it sounds more like pads rubbing due to wheel leaning over on a loose wheel bearing.
plus the sound goes if you tap the brakes. with worn pads the sound gets worse with brake use.

more interested to see if anyone has had the locking screws come loose before.

yes jack the front of car up abit so wheels are off the ground and check each front wheel for up / down play [ one hand on bottom and other on top ]
don,t be confused by other free play which could be ball joints , you need to feel bearing play.

I've never had loose locking screws, even in very well-worn locking hubs. They're never that tight though, or I'd struggle to get them out.

almost forgot....update.

in the end it was the other side had a seized slider in the caliper causing the inside pad to wear a large amount on one end and the noise was the wear tab.
the wear tab was a lot quieter than i've had before.
so new pads and bearings repacked.

so in the end there was two faults, locking screws came loose on one side and seized caliper on the other side.

Latest posts

Back