Winch control box diagnosis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
Tested my winch today and nothing...

Haven't used it for a few months, I'm pretty sure it's the control box.

A while back I had an issue with the solenoid clicking and not working, but a few clicks of the remote and a tap on the box had it going again, also the wired remote stopped working a fair while ago, quite possibly the switch on the box that switches remote/off/wired controller.

I plan to take the control box apart for a look at everything.

Winch is a tigerz11 Hercules 12000lb about 3 years old or so, had a bit of use but not much of late. I try to run the cable in and out every now and then to keep it ticking over if i haven't used it but I haven't got around to it for a while.

Any things I should look for in particular?

Cannot help much but if you get stuck for parts supercheap auto have new solenoid kits for around the $90 mark..called a winch service kit...ive got one on my car trailer winch.works great!

I'd say the solenoids have probably suffered water damage and have rusted in place. Repairing the solenoids (clean, lubricate) maybe possible but Murphy's Law says when you need the thing the most, it won't work - so don't tempt fate.

You could replace the individual solenoid(s) and that might be cheaper or you could grab an entire box from somewhere. All winches function basically the same - you can't really vary the rate that you dump 400A from a battery into one of these motors, so ANY control box (with a high enough amp rating) is going to work.

You could try this one or one like this. Big difference in price, obviously don't know anything about the internals in either but the first one is dirt cheap and I'd be tempted to grab it just to see if it would work or if I could use the parts if it didn't.

Thanks guys.
Im going to pull it apart and have a look. I have a suspicion it could be the 3 way switch.
Will replace solenoids or box if needed.

Well it turned out to be an easy fix.
I had to put in a new battery the other week, i found i forgot to reconnect the positive terminal to the winch.
All good now.

Yeah easy fix so im pretty happy about that.
It only did the clicking once. I suppose it was just a bit stuck and has freed itself.

Latest posts

Back