oil leak from turbo housing 05 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGTcrusader

Reaction score
hey guys, anyone had an oil leak from the turbo housing where the compressor housing meets the exhaust manifold?
heres a pick from underneath looking up where the oil outlet is but doesn't seem to be coming from there.
anyone had the same issue? am I up for a new turbo or is it a case of removing the turbo and replacing a gasket or O ring seal?
its leaking pretty bad, had to put at least 1.5l of oil in to top it up.
Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Brad
IMG_4793.jpg

Haven't had this happen on my Navara but have experienced it with other vehicles. Oil seal has let go. You'll need a new turbo, or rebuild/reseal the current one. Probably best just to grab a new turbo.

I recall something about the bolts holding the turbos together that might be an issue - they sometimes come loose and fall out! They'd be worth checking.

ok thanks guys. vehicle still runs and drives good, no oil getting into the intake and doesn't blow one ounce of smoke.
yeah tried to tighten up the bolt in behind the oil pipe and seemed to turn a bit but still has a slight leak, has anyone got a more detailed breakdown of how the turbos are bolted together? the workshop manual doesn't seem to help with the turbo as much.

will get the guard off the top of the turbo and have a better look tomorrow morning

its usually put down to 2 things....leaking oil seal in the turbo or normal engine blow by that has built up over the years

a catch can can stop this from progressing and also you will need to remove the compressor housing of the turbo and clean all the oil out then monitor it

Got a catch can installed so definitely not blow by. Pulling the turbo cover/heatsheild off this morning, but taking it to a mechanic to see what they think. It's still got me baffled?
if it was a seal inside the turbo it would be blowing smoke as it Would let oil into the intake wouldn't it? But not blowing smoke.
Can the housing over the compressor wheel be removed without the compressor wheel coming off?

Got a catch can installed so definitely not blow by. Pulling the turbo cover/heatsheild off this morning, but taking it to a mechanic to see what they think. It's still got me baffled?
if it was a seal inside the turbo it would be blowing smoke as it Would let oil into the intake wouldn't it? But not blowing smoke.
Can the housing over the compressor wheel be removed without the compressor wheel coming off?

Both the wheels are mounted on a shaft that runs through the turbine core. The compressor wheel is separated from the rear wheel and there's oil seals on both sides. So if the rear section has a blown seal oil will leak into the exhaust and out of the mating between the core and rear housing.

Yep you can remove both the front cover and rear exhaust housing. I wouldn't be pulling the core out with the turbo still on the motor though.

As Old Tony said above, I'd be looking at the gaskets on the feed and return oil lines. If you haven't got any noticeable smoke there's a good chance it's not leaking from the turbine (exhaust) side as you'd get a nice plume of blue smoke if it was burning oil....

hey guys ended up just replacing the turbo with a new one. well actually they just replaced the whole inside like smithbro mentioned. the shaft with turbine and seals etc...
thanks again for everyones suggestions. i thought i would of got away with it a bit cheaper as there was no oil getting into the intake, better to just rectify the problem than put a band aid on it. $1550 later.....
cheers
Brad

Latest posts

Back