Custom intake and airbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1232404709.jpg

image-278746604.jpg

Wen i had a chip in my rig n started to twist the filter n than had a remap was getting worse. But need the bigger air box which made a big difference.

attachment.php

better, more space around the filter. the others are horrible.

the thing is no one bothers to actually test them. they just bung in the biggest filter they can and think its great.
how the air flows through the filter is the key.
most of those would only have 20% of the filter being used because for the rest of the filter the air needs to do a bunch of very tight turns which is horribly restrictive.

Yea. Do a regular clean check on them after driving out bush or every 3 mths on the road. image-2612775806.jpg My old one. Pain in the ass to do.

Given that Oilad says his custom airbox makes a lot of noise, that to me screams restriction. I had my stock airbox on with my stock filter and when I added a snorkel it had a real nice whistle to it, which I thought sounded good. Now when I replaced my stock airbox with a landcruiser one and still a paper filter it doesnt make anywhere near the noise, due the less restriction

Given that Oilad says his custom airbox makes a lot of noise, that to me screams restriction. I had my stock airbox on with my stock filter and when I added a snorkel it had a real nice whistle to it, which I thought sounded good. Now when I replaced my stock airbox with a landcruiser one and still a paper filter it doesnt make anywhere near the noise, due the less restriction
i think u got no idea wat goes on unless u habe one ya self..

thats partly true.
i've had a noisy turbo, egt's where going way up and even got turbo bark on the off throttle. that was all due to a dirty air filter. new air filter back to being quiet.

but.......... manufactures use resonators, box sizes etc to dampen intake noise. remove that and put a simple high flow system in and you will hear all the noise the old system dampened down.

so restriction can make more noise
and highflow air box can also make more noise.

Both filters used were new. I had only just replaced my stock filter before I changed to an 80 series airbox. The stovk filter was quiet till I removed the pre-filter thing, then it got real loud haha

Made a little progress over the last few days, hole in the guard is drilled out to about 4.5" to take the 4" inlet. Airbox construction is well underway. Should be done by 13th Jan if everything goes to plan

Bit more progress, working in a 45 degree shed is not pleasant........

Last edited:
Go the snorkel bit mocked up yesterday, the short section is 25cm long and the long section is still at 1m. Will most likely cut 10 - 15cm off the top and put another 45 degree bend on the end to stop the rain coming directly in

I've finally got the airbox to line up with the inlet pipe. It required a fair amount of grinding as its on an angle and not a perfect circle, more of an ellipse. I stared work on the lid this morning but don't have any pictures so Ill post another update in a few days.

Still a fair way off finishing this project. I need to build mounts for the snorkel pipe on the A pillar and 2 mounts to secure the airbox in the engine bay. I also need to buy the latches for the lid and weld everything up. This project needs to me finished by the 12th Jan as the Nav goes in for sliders and scrub bars

Tried out some hinges today I got from bunnings, they worked pretty well with a little bit of work. I will buy another 2 tomoz and burn them in. Need to get some rubber to seal the lid and weld the 3" 90 degree elbow in

buy the bends from your local stainless steel wholesaler, they are about $30 - $40ea depending on size and grade. Id suggest getting them TIG welded, I tried MIG'ing them today and made a meal of it. 1.2mm is too thin to weld with the MIG, it just warps the metal

how are you going to stop the water coming in, Rain ect. Also would it matter if its 4inch intake to factory box down to a 2inch pipe to the turbo?

Water? Ill put another 45 agree bend on to of the snorkel to stop the rain. the rest of the unit is either welded together or sealed with rubber joins. Im running anywhere between 23 - 26psi depending on tune. At these levels having an aftermarket induction system is critical as it limits boost. air box to turbo is 3" on this setup

Snorkel is fixed the A pillar, just copied the factory Nissan mount. I've just used 1.2mm sheet stainless so it has some movement. Id rather it flex and move when I hit a tree, its easy to replace and the Navi can bend the bracket back while driving :)

MAF sensor is also installed in the intake pipe, just need to seal it up with some sort of sealant as it doesn't quiet make a water tight seal

is the intake pipe the sensor is in the same size as the old pipe?
also on curve is probably not the best place for it.

Latest posts

Back