D40 Cylinder Head Repair Cost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveCo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have feedback for me on the following quote to fix a cracked cylinder head?

SUPPLY FIT BRAND NEW COMPLETE HEAD WITH VALVES AND SPRINGS
NEW HEAD GETS ALL SHIMED TO SUIT ORIGINAL CAMSHFTS
SUPPLY FIT NEW VRS GASKET SET AND HEAD GASKET
SUPPLY FIT NEW HEAD BOLTS
SUPPLY FIT NEW EGR COOLER
CARRY OUT SERVICE WITH NEW OIL FILTER AND OIL A COOLANT FLUS
TOTAL PRICE FOR PARTS $2960
TOTAL LABOUR COST FOR JOB $1540
TOTAL FINAL PRICE INC GST $4500

Thanks in advance,

Steve

At a guess, 11 hours labour @ $140/hr and 11 hours is allowing for problems that might occur. They'll have to remove the upper timing chain, injectors, glow plug, camshafts - then install the new head, refit that gear and do the shims, oil change, (half hour) and coolant change with flush (easily half an hour). They will have to replace the exhaust manifold gasket, if they take the turbocharger off first they should replace its gasket too.

They must have spotted a problem with the EGR cooler, I've not heard of that being replaced before except where it's been damaged by a hole near the exhaust manifold. This is a pipe that runs around from the exhaust manifold around to the EGR valve on the side of the intake manifold. It has two smaller coolant hoses that connect up to the rear of the motor.

It doesn't seem unreasonable, to be completely honest. It's not as simple a job as it used to be, these engines are no "old VW motors" that I used to pull apart and rebuild in an evening. The price for parts is not completely unexpected especially if they're being sourced from a dealer.

That actually sounds like a very good price to me :)

They're doing a lot of work there.

The new HM Gem head i got fitted to my d40 was $2000, shimmed and setup ready to bolt on and drive away

Thats purely for the head itself only

If thats any help

Thanks all, you've been a great help. I may as well get the timing chain upgrade done at the same time I guess!

Steve

Yep i did that too

Grand total with new head and double row Iwis timing chain kit from yd25.com.au, including labour was around 6,500

I got all the bits together and handballed to my mechanic

The only thing i did was take the pistons home and crack test them (my original chain snapped and engine went bang)

Latest posts

Back