Diff Oil recommend for STX550

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiezzy

Reaction score
Hi all
considering dumping the oil in my diffs on a 2011 STX550 i have a drum of Valvoline High Performance gear oil 80w/90 would this be ok to use
many thanks cheers Pete

Thanks for the reply Landmannnn know I am totally confused I was Under the impression that the STX550 was fitted with a LSD standard
cheers Pete

I believe mine to have the LSD in the rear.
Stamped on the silver rear diff house is : 75W-140 SYNTHETIC OIL ONLY

The V6 engined version wasn't fitted with an LSD. I know it seems odd as the 4 cylinder version was fitted with one (or a difflock)

Yep Rang Nissan today to confirm and no they don't have LSD so Landmannn you are 100% correct with rear diff oil 75w 140 synthetic 0r similar and 80w 90 for front diff as stated in service manual so thanks again Landmannn
much appreciated
cheers Pete

Electronic traction control I believe... Basically an electronic diff lock...

That sounds unusual bods?

The car usually turns off traction control automatically when you engage 4L in other cars that have it.

No diff locker in 4L?

There has been mention on here about it from memory.. The computer brakes the wheel or wheels losing traction when it detects a speed differential, so basically a computerised diff locker...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Pretty lame compared to an LSD

My brothers dual cab had the electronic traction system and it didnt do nice twinnies like a vehicle with an LSD does

Drive hard in a manual commodore with an LSD and its like a different vehicle to an auto with no LSD

Lots of electronic systems on newer vehicles are a bit of a step backwards. I guess they're much cheaper to manufacture

Traction control is a different concept to a diff locker; my wife's Pajero has traction control. It's there for stability while driving on road, at highway speeds. You can manually switch it off while travelling up to 80KMH, then the car automatically switches it back on once you get to 80.

Traction control is OK on gravel roads, but if you leave it switched on while driving in sand, you'll bog very quickly.

I think (?) that the traction control in my wife's car runs off the ABS system. We don't ever drive the car hard enough to even feel the traction control working lol!

A diff locker is obviously much more useful at slower speeds than 80KMH

I think you will find that is electronic stability control. Traction control is what stops you ripping skids, among other things. It also reduces engine power in an effort to regain traction. Obviously this all occurs at low speed, reducing the risk of losing control before the vehicle gets too far gone.

Yes, traction control is turned off in low range, but I do recall others on here mentioning an "electronic diff lock" which was the ecu detecting wheel spin when in low range and applying brakes to that wheel in an effort to keep the vehicle moving. How well it works I couldn't say, as I also have a D22 with a LSD in the back...

As for diff labelling, if it is LSD, it should have a sticker saying use LSD oil only on the housing near the fill plug.

Hi bods, the Pajero has both, electronic stability control & traction control. They're mutually supportive of each other & activate/disengage in the same circumstances - at start up, or if manually disengaged at low speed, the car re-engages both systems at road speeds above 79KMH.

It's in the user manual to switch them off while driving in sand (for obvious reasons) & the car automatically turns both off in 4L.

Mitsi put out some models with rear diff locks from the factory. My cousin had one.

Personally, I prefer my D22 when outback. I just point it & drive, the car does the rest! I'm not a fan of gadgets, just more things to break & go wrong.

Cheers mate! :)

Latest posts

Back