265/70/17s and towing with a manual..concerns?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panuara

Reaction score
Due to replace the original 255/65/17s on my 2012 manual ST. hAve an upgraded suspension from Zordo which got almost a 2" lift. I tow a 2.5 t van and am getting ready to tour Australia as I am on LSL prior to retiring. I am used to driving on gravel and only usually go off-road to get firewood.

oNe tyre place suggested 265/70/17s as they would be easier to replace on my travels.
1. Do the bigger tyres impact much on getting moving and what is the likely impact on the clutch?
2. Is there much effect on fuel use.
3. Is the extra $125 quoted per tyre for a BFG kO2 over a Khumo KL78 worth it.

I have read the threads on tyres and am still confused.

wOuld love some advise.

The larger tyres ultimately mean taller gearing and since first gear is already tall enough in the D40, it's going to be a bit of a struggle to get 5T moving.

However, all may not be lost. Some time in 2012, Nissan began moving back to single mass flywheels. If yours is one, it will shed heat a lot better and you won't suffer as many problems. I would suggest that standing starts on a steep climb are probably too much even for the SMF, so if possible I'd avoid that - which won't happen if roadworks or some incident pops up.

If yours is a dual mass flywheel, the friction face of the flywheel (which is only a few millimetres thick) will heat up rapidly with that much strain and will happily cook your clutch and maybe even ruin the pressure plate. Towing on normal tyres will cause problems if you ride the clutch (as you'd have to on a steep start). Doing it with taller gearing again just compounds the problem, because not only is it harder to turn the wheel over, but you don't get moving as quickly and have to ride the clutch even more.

Thanks. I thought as much. wAs able to get 4 for the price of 3 Yokohama geolander at-s 255/65/17 for $315 fitted and balanced. Ie 945 for the set. sAle been extended to 14th December 2015 apparently.
I really appreciate the advise and support of this forum. gReat to see people answer questions without someone flaming them.

Hey mate your standard tyres should be available anywhere if you stick with them, I had no change in anything with the larger ones. Joe2006 pulls a good size van with the tyres you asked about, I'm fairly sure he had no problems taking off ect.

Latest posts

Back