Looking at getting a d22, what are they like as a daily driver?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choc_Donk

Reaction score
Morning all. I’m looking at getting a 2014 d22. Just wondering what your thoughts are as a daily driver?

I’m new to the 4x4 world but keen to do some more camping/fishing trips around qld. The old Holden cruise just doesn’t quite cut it for a lot of these.

It will be my only car though, to and from work and round town as well as some longer trips so I’m keen on what you think of these a “do it all” type truck. I’ll have to squeeze a baby seat in the back too, hopefully the back seat is big enough for that!

Cheers for your help guys!

i think you might get a shock on how different the comfort and handling is, or rather lack of.
D22 is pretty old school and is going to be substantially different to a small car. its also somewhat low powered.
my suggestion here is to go test drive one.

2011 manual yd25 d22
Comfort is good for the age, it's not horrible on road, but corrugated roads it doesnt quiet like.
Turning circle isn't awfull probably the same as a ranger if not better imo.
Not much room in the back, good for a baby seat or a kid... it sucks for fully grown adults barely any leg room and quiet difficult to get out. (Just ask a few of my mates on hunting trips)

It handles off road really well! Iv abused mine quiet alot...
Backwards down a river, mud bogs, big step ups and step downs just general sending it... and it still goes beautifully.

Fuel economy really varies on driving type and speed.

It can struggle going up hills usually its 4th gear and don't even bother going into 5th.
Not awfull for over taking but really do have to think ahead before over taking.
Cant just put your foot down like a ranger and be going 120.
Behind the back seat there is a fair bit of room for storage

Sorry if that didn't make sense just listig stuff as I think of it.

Any question are welcome

Thanks for the replies. I’m tossing up between the D22 and the D40. The simplicity of the D22 and it’s reliability seem to be the drawcards. I’ve test driven 2 so far, seem pretty straightforward. What are they like on longer highway trips? They seem to rev quite high sitting at 100 kmph.

Not bad on the highway. I've done the great central rd and the nullarbor one trip and both ways across the nullarbor another trip to the snow, plus numerous others and don't find them too bad. The best thing I've done was put an aftermarket cruise control in it. Makes a hell of a lot of difference on the highway.

They seem to rev high, but I've got one of those obd2 Bluetooth scanners and the ecu only shows around 2500rpm at 100km/h (on the app, that's what the actual engine computer sees) whereas the tacho on the dash shows about 2750rpm and about 105km/h on the speedo.

I've also fitted 265/75 tyres on mine which has brought the speedo to only reading 5km/h above your actual speed, from the factory with the 265/70 tyres it's almost 10km/h higher. This is measured with a GPS. The Bluetooth obd2 app shows the car ecu sees pretty much the same speed as the GPS (within 1km/h), so it is just simply Nissan taking a "near enough is good enough" approach to the adrs (they specify that a speedo may show up to 10% above the speed you are travelling but not below).

Hopefully that makes sense and gives you a bit of insight. Oh, I should say, mine is a 2010 d22 yd25.

Not bad on the highway. I've done the great central rd and the nullarbor one trip and both ways across the nullarbor another trip to the snow, plus numerous others and don't find them too bad. The best thing I've done was put an aftermarket cruise control in it. Makes a hell of a lot of difference on the highway.

They seem to rev high, but I've got one of those obd2 Bluetooth scanners and the ecu only shows around 2500rpm at 100km/h (on the app, that's what the actual engine computer sees) whereas the tacho on the dash shows about 2750rpm and about 105km/h on the speedo.

I've also fitted 265/75 tyres on mine which has brought the speedo to only reading 5km/h above your actual speed, from the factory with the 265/70 tyres it's almost 10km/h higher. This is measured with a GPS. The Bluetooth obd2 app shows the car ecu sees pretty much the same speed as the GPS (within 1km/h), so it is just simply Nissan taking a "near enough is good enough" approach to the adrs (they specify that a speedo may show up to 10% above the speed you are travelling but not below).

Hopefully that makes sense and gives you a bit of insight. Oh, I should say, mine is a 2010 d22 yd25.

Thanks for the reply! It just felt like it needed to go into a 6th gear when I was test driving haha. Maybe I’m just used to the little 6spd auto I have currently.

Not much room at all in the back seats.
Not heaps of room in the front either but not too bad.

Helps to keep it in the right rev range for overtaking etc on the hwy.
I have 33in tyres and tow a boat about 1ton or so and loaded with camping gear, no probs sitting on 100 on the hwy and get 14l / 100, handles hills fine, dont have to drop back to 4th too much but plenty of power when you do.
Great offroad for a dual cab ute!

Compared to my brand new work triton, they are completely different. Triton has more room, more comfortable, smooth, plenty of power, auto pulls 2.5t trailer without knowing its there.
The d22 is more like a truck, old school, simple, noisier.
I love driving both of them.

Mine also has a chip and a big top mount intercooler which helps.

And it does kinda feel like there should be a 6th gear at times.

This article seems reasonable. Generally the D22 is a very solid and well designed ute, if a little "agricultural" to drive compared to later models and somewhat unspectacular in acceleration. Once up to speed it doesn't matter anyway. It has other advantages which make it very worthwhile.

The D22 is somewhat gutless. Its very slow off the mark and has a zero to sixty far too slow to bother measuring. This is not a problem if you know about it and can live with it........

Overall the D22 is probably the most mechanically sound ute currently in the used car market. If you can handle the fact that its not winning any awards for its rate of acceleration this is the perfect ute......

We have covered the D40 (which is a complete lemon) in this article here.

I had a 2008 D22 2.5 diesel for about 10 years never let me down ,I've had over a ton in the back plenty of times , Just last year I drove from Robina to Batemans bay and back , on the way back I had over a ton in the tray and a ton in the trailer, It pulled like a train Its 1,130km trip and I did it in 13 hrs only stopping for fuel and some tucker , can't complain .

2011 manual yd25 d22
Comfort is good for the age, it's not horrible on road, but corrugated roads it doesnt quiet like.
Turning circle isn't awfull probably the same as a ranger if not better imo.
Not much room in the back, good for a baby seat or a kid... it sucks for fully grown adults barely any leg room and quiet difficult to get out. (Just ask a few of my mates on hunting trips)

It handles off road really well! Iv abused mine quiet alot...
Backwards down a river, mud bogs, big step ups and step downs just general sending it... and it still goes beautifully.

Fuel economy really varies on driving type and speed.

It can struggle going up hills usually its 4th gear and don't even bother going into 5th.
Not awfull for over taking but really do have to think ahead before over taking.
Cant just put your foot down like a ranger and be going 120.
Behind the back seat there is a fair bit of room for storage

Sorry if that didn't make sense just listig stuff as I think of it.

Any question are welcome
I dont even consider overtaking anymore. No point haha

Last edited:
I love my d22 06 zd30. Had it since 2009. Been times where I have thought of changing. I'm 6ft8 can be a Bitch if I ever need to be in the back. Baby seat fits behind passengers seat, couldn't fit another one though. Have spent a fair bit on upgrades in the last 6 months but worth it. I came from an 87 hilux. So it was a huge upgrade for me. Even with the lift she's still a little stiff at times.

Yep, fine in the front for me I am 6ft. I have a 3lt ZD30 and with the remapped ECU it is much snappier than it was. Mine doesn't have the bolts for a baby seat though but I believe the 2.5 litres had them. Better check with some of the other lads here, but you can get a fitting plate of so e sort I believe. It is a truck but power windows, AC, economical to drive and the D22 has 20 years worth of wrecks and spares to access. I developed a new love for mine with the remap and I am sure the YD25 can be juiced up a bit with a remap or chip too.
Just drive it and see how you like it. A Hilux driver will sing it's praises, likewise a Ranger driver has the best 4x4 in their eyes. I was thinking of upgrading to a BT50 but really what I want is a it's with AC, comfey and clean interior with a diesel. I have that with mine with the bonus of being self maintainable ( if that's a word!), a wealth of information on this forum and no new car loan!
I have 340,000 km on mine now

Yep, fine in the front for me I am 6ft. I have a 3lt ZD30 and with the remapped ECU it is much snappier than it was. Mine doesn't have the bolts for a baby seat though but I believe the 2.5 litres had them. Better check with some of the other lads here, but you can get a fitting plate of so e sort I believe. It is a truck but power windows, AC, economical to drive and the D22 has 20 years worth of wrecks and spares to access. I developed a new love for mine with the remap and I am sure the YD25 can be juiced up a bit with a remap or chip too.
Just drive it and see how you like it. A Hilux driver will sing it's praises, likewise a Ranger driver has the best 4x4 in their eyes. I was thinking of upgrading to a BT50 but really what I want is a it's with AC, comfey and clean interior with a diesel. I have that with mine with the bonus of being self maintainable ( if that's a word!), a wealth of information on this forum and no new car loan!
I have 340,000 km on mine now

Valid man!
300,000km for mine as well.
You could spend hours on the forum down a rabbit hole haha

After many mods to mine total lift 6 1/2 over stock to fit 33s. Big time power loss with fuel rail tuner. New found power love this truck.
IMG_20190416_172615510_HDR.jpg

as a daily driver i think they are ok but not too great with breakages although parts are reasonably priced and easy to get and they are very able off road

Latest posts

Back