Loss of Revs and Power on Acceleration...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the psi reading 0psi at idle. The scan gauge I have needs to be calibrated for your local altitude to read correct boost. Just check to ensure 33psi is correct as that is extremely high...
Barometric pressure changes every with elevation. Sea level is 14.7psi and increases 0.14psi for every 100m of altitude. If its not calibrated as 0 at idle then subtract at least 14-15psi which would make it about normal...

Thanks 4naving just checked on the Torque app and it is reading 0.0-0.1psi boost when at idle. I guess that means no need to correct the psi at max boost then?

Last edited:
I found a difference in readings with the torque app and boost gauge running side by side
the boost gauge would read 17psi and the torque app would read 26psi

if it is over boosting I would be looking at waste gate actuator

I found a difference in readings with the torque app and boost gauge running side by side
the boost gauge would read 17psi and the torque app would read 26psi
/QUOTE]

that is a massive difference, i thought you were going to say maybe 2psi but 9!!
so which one is reading wrong?

I always trusted the boost gauge in the D22
the torque app in the F6 is spot on with the dash mounted boost gauge???
same phone and same app?

I always trusted the boost gauge in the D22
the torque app in the F6 is spot on with the dash mounted boost gauge???
same phone and same app?

yeah 26psi does seem high for the stock d22 turbs, i thought they were lucky to hit 16?

Oh I missed that one, good catch - yep, boost pressure at idle with throttle off is reporting as 14.79psi, so turbo output IS normal.

That means that nothing stands out in the data, because everything went up and down as it should, the only thing that stood out was the amount of boost and 4 naving figured that one out for us!

The actuator sits on top of the turbocharger and pushes down into it to adjust the vanes, so the motion you're seeing is absolutely correct.

You do realise that it means we're no closer to an answer, of course!

I've had another close look at the data. It's not the fuel. As your throttle increases, so does the fuel rail pressure - and it's fairly precise, the two values follow each other just as you'd expect. RPM follows both as you'd expect (it doesn't rise instantly but seems to always follow closely behind). On even closer inspection, it appears that there may have been a slight hill or something involved at around 16:38:33 when the throttle was applied lightly, the fuel rail pressure rose a small amount but the engine RPM remained fairly steady.

The question then is this: during the data gathering, did you experience the problem at any point? The data doesn't seem to show anything unexpected (and next time I'll watch the boost pressure!).

Tip: in Torque, you can configure (in Vehicle Profile) to remove 14.7psi from the manifold pressure. It should then show you more accurate boost readings.

Oh I missed that one, good catch - yep, boost pressure at idle with throttle off is reporting as 14.79psi, so turbo output IS normal.

That means that nothing stands out in the data, because everything went up and down as it should, the only thing that stood out was the amount of boost and 4 naving figured that one out for us!

The actuator sits on top of the turbocharger and pushes down into it to adjust the vanes, so the motion you're seeing is absolutely correct.

You do realise that it means we're no closer to an answer, of course!

I've had another close look at the data. It's not the fuel. As your throttle increases, so does the fuel rail pressure - and it's fairly precise, the two values follow each other just as you'd expect. RPM follows both as you'd expect (it doesn't rise instantly but seems to always follow closely behind). On even closer inspection, it appears that there may have been a slight hill or something involved at around 16:38:33 when the throttle was applied lightly, the fuel rail pressure rose a small amount but the engine RPM remained fairly steady.

The question then is this: during the data gathering, did you experience the problem at any point? The data doesn't seem to show anything unexpected (and next time I'll watch the boost pressure!).

Tip: in Torque, you can configure (in Vehicle Profile) to remove 14.7psi from the manifold pressure. It should then show you more accurate boost readings.

Ok well it is good news that things are operating as per normal and that the turbo is operating within its normal parameters.

There would have been one slight hill in the 2nd data set on the 2nd CSV. The 2nd data set on the 1st CSV had a more significant hill but the all the throttle data was missing on that one.

I did experience the surge in revs throughout the data in every gear with 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th as the most noticeable. When I am seeing the surge in revs it isn't accompanied with the same increase in acceleration.

From what you're describing, it sounds like your clutch is slipping. If your clutch is fully engaged then any change in RPM absolutely must be equal to a change in vehicle speed.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

I have been doing some thinking and some reading and I am starting to think that perhaps my surge followed by loss of power was perhaps a little misleading. I am starting to lean towards the surge being a slip of the clutch and then the loss of power actually being the clutch grabbing again....

It is worse under heavy acceleration and then it is also worse going up hill. I have also combined this increase in revs (surge) with no real increase acceleration during the surge from what I can see and feel. The friction point in the clutch is also very high compared to the diesel i30 we also own but I just assumed this friction point was normal given that the car has felt like that for the 20k we have had it.

Given this potential change in diagnosis has anyone got any other tests or tips to try?

Also any thoughts on clutch kits after reading through the forum it appears that a Single Mass Flywheel will be the way to go but I am also looking at the heavy duty exedy, 4terrain or the NPC Clutch kits?

Old.Tony I had a suspicion about the clutch slipping when I finally a realised that the increase in revs didn't seem to translate into increase in speeds. You could put a month old fish under my nose and if I was blindfolded I probably couldn't tell you it was there and maybe why I can't smell the clutch.

Perhaps my adjectives for what was happening in the title and initially were misleading. The good news is the turbo and engine fuel flow appear fine. Although you did say there was an issue with the sound of an issue.

I will go the mechanic with the view that it is time to replace the clutch I am planning to go HD SMF but any suggestions for brands or even places worth contacting between Brisbane and the Gold Coast?

Lots of guys use Exedy. SMF will last the distance - the DMF friction plate is too thin to handle much slippage, that's what kills them. Unfortunately you are going to notice extra vibration with the SMF - the whole reason for the DMF is to remove the slight variations in rotation speed (due to compression, then ignition, repeat). You're about to get the real feel of your engine - so don't panic when it comes back and you feel this new buzzing!

Latest posts

Back