Error Code 0407 Crank Position Sensor Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingdong

Reaction score
NISSAN NAVARA 2006 D22 UTILITY 5 SPEED MANUAL 130K ON CLOCK

SYMPTOMS: Glows and starts fine when cold but when engine warmed up it wont start. No smoke or any noises. Runs ok when started, just notice no grunt in low revs. Changed all filters and seems to be no problem. Took to mechanic and throwing error code 0407 Crank Position Sensor.

Mechanic says might be a 4k job to fix. Ouch. Can I have some alternatives please?

4k is probably a new injection pump. sometimes the electronics on the pump play up, tho usually they just die completely.
best thing is to put a scope of the sensor and check its output. there is known issues with interference screwing up the sensor. also it will show if its a sensor fault and its failing when it gets hot.

Thanks......my mechanic just told me the front crank seal is leaking oil......he thinks this has interfered with the sensor....how is it possible....are they not a sealed unit......how can oil get inside from the outside?

Last edited:
Thanks......my mechanic just told me the front crank seal is leaking oil......he thinks this has interfered with the sensor....how is it possible....are they not a sealed unit......how can oil get inside from the outside?

not sure. it could simply be getting between the pick up and the tang. i simply don't know if engine oil is enough to screw with the signal.
i have my doubts that it could be it.
easy way would be to simply hose off the oil and see if the problem disappears.

check the engine breather. if you have a catch can fitted bypass it and see if the front oil leak clears up.

Its a 3 litre D22....apparently the sensor is under a plastic cover on front of engine? He seems to think it may be pooling in there?

What is a catch can?

the sensor is not really under a cover. it can't pool. its a bit of prick location to get to.
another easy thing to check is the earth points on the inlet manifold. sometimes they corrode and cause strange issues.

Last edited:
He says the radiator needs to e removed and its under a front cover? And is the crank angle sensor and crank position sensor the same thing? Why not just replace the Crank sensor...it looks small enough going by the images I have seen on this page?

Last edited:
Yeah it's not that expensive but a pain in the arse to get at. If you are going to remove the radiator then pay close attention to the fan. Mine was badly cracked and it would have been a hell of a lot easier to change it with the radiator out! I hope it is as simple as a sensor change. I had CAS faults but only on start. Never affected power output. Was simply my starter motor

Problem solved.....the 3 earth terminals located on top of the manifold were weathered. I took them all off and cleaned them and put back.......issue has gone away.......strange that a simple terminal clean can make such a difference.....weird. Thanks....good site.

Latest posts

Back