3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dea performance seem to he reasonably cheap for a full system and have options with and without cat and mufflers...

Good luck.

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and blank my EGR and do the swirl mod for sure, but I can't seem to find what size vacuum hose I need. Are there even different sizes? I've never done anything with vacuum lines before lol

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and blank my EGR and do the swirl mod for sure, but I can't seem to find what size vacuum hose I need. Are there even different sizes? I've never done anything with vacuum lines before lol
No need to go to that expense! lol. It's more a matter of rearranging the hoses that are already there, shouldn't need to buy any. The plates are easily made, or they sell good cheap ones on fleabay.

No need to go to that expense! lol. It's more a matter of rearranging the hoses that are already there, shouldn't need to buy any. The plates are easily made, or they sell good cheap ones on fleabay.

I at least need a t-piece though don't I?

I hadn't considered making one up, that would be very doable lol

I did mine on my 03 ZD30 a week or so ago. I did have to replace some hose as the original had perished and broke when removing. just took a piece down to (not so) super or cheap, and bought a half metre. There's a hand drawn coloured swirl diagram on google images that I found the easiest to follow too.

guys,
Ive got a D22 2003 ZD30 3 litre 200km on clock with catch can fitted.
The simple ( answer might not be simple ) question is:
1. Can I just block off the EGR intake with blanking plate and not do any swirl mods ?

guys,
Ive got a D22 2003 ZD30 3 litre 200km on clock with catch can fitted.
The simple ( answer might not be simple ) question is:
1. Can I just block off the EGR intake with blanking plate and not do any swirl mods ?
i don't recommend that.
years back with older utes that have a similar setup, people found that when they blocked the egr off they ended up blowing smoke and had some power loss.
the main butterfly restricts the intake to lower the pressure so it can suck egr in. with egr blocked off the total amount of gasses (air/egr) going into the motor is reduced. this gives low effective compression and on the older engines that caused combustion issues.
disable the intake butterfly, the engine now sucks in full amount of gasses and compression is fine. need to keep in mind diesels are compression ignition, lower the compression the worse the ignition is.

the other thing you could do, is simply disable the main butterfly, but leave the swirl butterfly alone and leave the egr working.
this simply reduces the amount of egr going in.

you have the 2.5 intercooled variable turbo D22 ??

if so...... blocking the EGR is a whole different ball game. its nothing like the old ZD30. the turbo plays a big role in EGR operation and you need to adjust the turbo to suit the blocked EGR.
not sure if anyone has a write up on doing it on the D40. otherwise have a look through Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum and about the dawes valve.
So this mod is not recommended for the 2.5 turbo diesel with the top mount intercooler?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613_110251.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613_110251.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Is that the same for the egr block, or is that not recommended on the the yd25, 2.5L top mount intercooled models as I have the 2006 model
egr block recommended.
tho afaik aussie never got the 2006 yd25 that i'm aware of (nz got them in 2wd) and the pic is of the later 2009> model.

The pic I uploaded is my engine and my profile pic is the ute I'm on about.. inbox me and I'll be in contact with U at 5pm Aussie time as I'm in Tassie

Just a thought, (i know its an old thread) but the mods to the vacuum lines don't block the swirl line.
correct. the changes in vac lines is the egr butterfly valve.
the names kinda got mixed up over the years.
the actual swirl mod is to unplug the swirl solinoid.

Yea i figured the same, so i did exactly that. Didn't notice anything different though. Might have to do some experiments.
Theoretically the swirl "feature" does improve combustion at low rpm. It increases the velocity of the intake air causing it spin around the combustion chamber.

Latest posts

Back