Winch into stock winch bar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistajoel

Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first post on here, really find this forum useful.

Thought I'd stick up a few points about putting in a winch into a d40 spain built standard nissan winch steel bar.

I had some trouble finding straight answers on here, so here are the answers to the questions I had before I started.

My winch was a ridge ryder 12000lb supercheap winch, dyneema rope and had been installed previously in my discovery.

If you have a standard winch, where the rope is designed to come off the bottom of the drum, you have to mount your winch upside down, so that the rope spools off the top of the drum, lining up with the hole at the top, looking at the front of the car, the motor is now on the right and the gearbox on the left, this is so that the rope is spooling off straight, this creates less friction and such, and the in drum brake is still braking in the direction it was designed for.

Second problem is that the control box that was meant to mount on the back of the winch, would not fit. Plus the box that came with the winch was terrible, let water in everywhere and the plug was dodgy. solution was to source a junction box from an electrical supplier and bolt it behind the bar into the holes that previously held the number plate bracket.

I've run a wire into the cab for an in dash switch so if I lose my wireless remote I still have something.

Any questions if i can be of any further help i shall be happy to answer, or others on this forum are eager to help too, which is awesome

Thanks guys

winch into stock winch bar

Hi mistajoel this is my first post as well. I have a Thai built extra cab with a standard built steel bar. I also have a 12000 lb ridge ryder winch from supercheap I had on my old triton. I see you have turned the winch upside down so that it can be fed out through the fairlead. I am keen to know how this is going as it seems to be the only option I can see at this stage unless someone is able to give advice how if there are mounting kits that will allow it to be raised higher.
did you have any photos you could show of your winch so I can get an idea of how it looks.
I saw some forums stating that the rope should be fed in from the bottom, has your setup had any adverse effects on the way your winch respools
thanks
Peter

Here comes some pictures:
picture.php

picture.php

This shot is of inside the bar, uploading the pic turned it upside down, so you'll just have to stand on your head.
picture.php

aaaand this is the isolator I've used, stops the winch being turned on when I don't want it to... for any reason
picture.php

Hi mistajoel this is my first post as well. I have a Thai built extra cab with a standard built steel bar. I also have a 12000 lb ridge ryder winch from supercheap I had on my old triton. I see you have turned the winch upside down so that it can be fed out through the fairlead. I am keen to know how this is going as it seems to be the only option I can see at this stage unless someone is able to give advice how if there are mounting kits that will allow it to be raised higher.
did you have any photos you could show of your winch so I can get an idea of how it looks.
I saw some forums stating that the rope should be fed in from the bottom, has your setup had any adverse effects on the way your winch respools
thanks
Peter

Yes, the rope on this winch is designed to be fed from the bottom of the drum, which it still is, just the bottom is now the top.

Seems to spool back onto the drum fine from my few little tests, just annoying currently as my remote battery is dying, can only use my switch on the dash...

Oh and pictures are coming, soon as a mod approves the post..??

Last edited:
Pic look interesting, I am going to have a go at turning upside down this weekend to see how it fits, my concern is how it will go under load when used in anger. only one way to find out.

As far as I can tell, it would make no difference to how it performs. When installed in 95% of bullbars, they're already at 90° to how they're designed to run anyways, they don't have a wet sump in the gearbox or anything...

got the winch in upside down fits nicely, now to look at extending cables to fit the solenoid, have to look at modifying the mount.

Attachments

• winch3.jpg
    winch3.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 167
  • winch2.jpg
    winch2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 164

Latest posts

Back