MAT713's 2012 D22 ST-R

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAT713

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd finally say hi!

I ordered a new 2012 Nissan D22 Navara ST-R in december and joined the forum to learn as much as I can about these rigs.

My background has always been involved with motor racing and drifting, so I needed something that had a good tow load, new for reliability and capable off road. I've been eyeing off a D22 for a few years now because I still think they are just the best bang for buck dual cab 4x4.

So without further ado, my Navara!

I picked up my D22 from Ian Boettcher Nissan, a mate of mine / drifting competitor worked there and was happy to help with a great deal. I had done all of my homework before I even got there so it was very straightforward. I added extras, talked price and arranged pick up later that week, easy!

New car smell!
Q10G6.jpg

While at the dealership I did add the following bits and pieces:
Nissan Towbar
Nissan Underlip Tubliner
Nissan Tonneau
Nissan Remote Central Locking
Nissan Carpet Floor Mats
Nissan Snorkel

Stock as a rock, the STD number plates didn't last long!
VeAYr.jpg

The 'Mighty Trity' hiding in the background, ready for retirement - it served its purpose well!
zQ8f9.jpg

It's first time 'off road'
u2dl1.jpg

My goal is to just have a tidy, legal and comfortable tow car, tourer, weekend off roader!

New Wheels & Tyres

It didn't take long for new wheels and tyres, I spent a week doing my homework on sizes, then another week for delivery!

Mickey Thompson Classic Black II
16 x 8 +0 offset
DY0hm.jpg

Needless to say, the larger 32" tyres didn't quite fit - they just rubbed on the front bumper. So the torsion bar got wound up and taken in for a wheel alignment!
Em2yC.jpg

***NOTE***
I would strongly recommend anyone picking up a new D22 to take it too your local tyre shop and get a proper wheel alignment straight away. What you would save in tyre wear is worth it just on it's own let alone the better it drives!

Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-Rib 265/75/16
INBeo.jpg

This was the largest tyre I thought I could go before I start sacrificing the cars towing ability, overall I think it's a good compromise and the wheel offset still makes them look a little bit aggressive.

Last edited:
Nice Nav mate, if your going to be towing look at a chip and exhaust for the old girl, Ive got a 4" lift and i still run the 265's for power reasons as well and also have MT's with a 0 offset, Nice set up

Took my car into to get the windows tinted, also got a strip along the top inside of the windscreen done for the long drives into the highway sun!
V5wB2.jpg

I've also removed all the stickers on the Nav just for a cleaner look
y4IWz.jpg

The keen eye might notice that I had the rear tub and tonneau swapped from the 'bungy strap' to the cleaner 'click on' style. It was just a small mix up at the dealership and they were extremely helpful and quick in sorting out the issue for me!

Last edited:
Nice Nav mate, if your going to be towing look at a chip and exhaust for the old girl, Ive got a 4" lift and i still run the 265's for power reasons as well and also have MT's with a 0 offset, Nice set up

I have certainly started looking into it! For the mean time it has more then enough power, plus my first couple of trips I've got planned I'll be travelling very light. I'm not towing a drift car or even the camper trailer.

I feel the chip and exhaust are in the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' category for the mean time!

Saying that I have already priced up a 2 3/4" stainless system from Beaudesert Exhaust, can't help myself!

The chip will need a little more research before I jump into anything

Looks real good mate, nothing like a new car. I thought I recognized your plates from secretdrift forums a long time ago haha.

The bigger tyres and offset make a huge differance to its look

-Tyler

Looks real good mate, nothing like a new car. I thought I recognized your plates from secretdrift forums a long time ago haha.

The bigger tyres and offset make a huge differance to its look

-Tyler

yeah mate SD represent! haha time for something a little more sensible to tow around the silly drift car hey!

cheers!

if you go with a beaudesert system, you can order a piece of straight through bolt on pipe from them to remove the back muffler... it will sound shit load tuffer without it

Great looking rig, congrats. Excellent colour choice, too! But seriously needs a front bar, I reckon.

thanks mate, I've decided on an XROX bar, however its something I just dont need initially so that will happen down the track soon.

Busy morning ahead!

EGR blanking plate arrived yesterday and is going in today, while I'm at I'm also going to do a 5000km filter and oil change just as a precaution on a new motor.

Car is booked in at Zordo's for a 2" body lift, can't wait!

Just ordered a set of Calmini UCA's & Idle Arm Brace from the states, hopefully these won't take to long and once I've got them the D22 is going in for it's 2" suspension lift.

I've decided on new poly bushes, grease-able shackles and pins with Bilstein shocks - best ride quality on the market & rebuildable coupled with EFS torsion bars & leafs - They seem best bang for buck & reliable, unless anyone can recommend better?

Busy morning ahead!

EGR blanking plate arrived yesterday and is going in today, while I'm at I'm also going to do a 5000km filter and oil change just as a precaution on a new motor.

Car is booked in at Zordo's for a 2" body lift, can't wait!

Just ordered a set of Calmini UCA's & Idle Arm Brace from the states, hopefully these won't take to long and once I've got them the D22 is going in for it's 2" suspension lift.

I've decided on new poly bushes, grease-able shackles and pins with Bilstein shocks - best ride quality on the market & rebuildable coupled with EFS torsion bars & leafs - They seem best bang for buck & reliable, unless anyone can recommend better?

Hey mate. If what you have mentioned was recommended ny zordo then you have the best. His service has to be the best I have come across. Only if there was more I could purchase off him. Its looking good. I'm chasing those rims cause they look neat

Are you getting the sus lift at Zordo's as well......? Ute will look good once its all in and you'll be blown away with how much better it drives, I got about another 10-15mm of lift out of the UCA's but thats about it as I wanted to leave 20mm between the bump stops....

Hey mate. If what you have mentioned was recommended ny zordo then you have the best. His service has to be the best I have come across. Only if there was more I could purchase off him. Its looking good. I'm chasing those rims cause they look neat
Yeah John def knows his stuff!

I never saw a set I wanted pop up second hand, if they were close to the size I wanted they still charged an arm and a leg for second hand wheels!

I work for off road rush and Chris Western the owner is sponsored by M/T and was happy to organise me a deal I couldn't refuse!

Are you getting the sus lift at Zordo's as well......? Ute will look good once its all in and you'll be blown away with how much better it drives, I got about another 10-15mm of lift out of the UCA's but thats about it as I wanted to leave 20mm between the bump stops....
My old man used to own City Suspension in Springwood / slacks creek so I'll prob lend a hand while its in there for its lift. Plus it can get wheel aligned straight away properly.

Nice mate, you forgot to mention that you got your custom plates as well haha noticed it in the images.. Nice ute mate hope it treats you well and viseversa :)

John at Zordos finished off the body lift. Love the work he has done.

Pretty stoked with how the car looks now. Having the extra wheel clearance is nice.

I also chucked in the EGR block and for a few bucks it was a noticeable gain. Boost comes on 150-200 rpm early and throttle response is a lot sharper.

Time to order my xrox bar and find a set of sliders I think. Fingers crossed my calmini UCA's arrive shortly and I can finish off the suspension lift.

new presents arrived today!!

sDD7tgt.jpg

Seriously the CALMINI guys were excellent to deal with! Handled all of my nagging questions, super super quick delivery, couldn't recommend them enough!

Latest posts

Back