Scraping metallic noise front right (driver's) wheel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Got this metallic scrapping noise coming from my front drivers wheel, only started happening after a recent trip over to Fraser Island last week.

Things to note:
It happens in 2H,4H and 4L
When I was on the island it was happening all the time on and off constantly, now is only happens after a sharp hard left turn or at high speed, it is becoming increasingly harder to hear. Ie very difficult to hear in the cabin at 80kph+ but if you wind the window down you can just hear it over the wind noise. Under 60kph it seems to disappear. Where as before on the island it was making a scraping noise at any speed and was really noticeable at slow speeds on the sand tracks
Only seems to happen when wheels are moving (it sounds like a collapsing bearing but doesn't matter how much you rev the engine in neutral it doesnt make a noise, only happens when car is in motion)
I have just recently replaced the idler and aircon pulley bearings so that counts those out

Things I have looked at
Took the wheel bearing out, seal is fine, heaps of grease, can spin the wheel fine there is no axial end play at all with the wheel on
Took the calliper off and pushed the pistons back with a G clamp and then got someone to push the brake pedal in and they move freely so they don't appear to be seized.

Only thing I did pre-island trip was put my ironman bashplates on, but they have been on before with no problems to speak of.

Is there anything else I should be checking? I have also checked the obvious things like there is no stone in the between the backing plate and the rotor and the backing plate isn't bent causing it to scrap on the rotor. I have run out of ideas as to what it could be.

I was going to say the brake shroud since it sounds exactly like that, but then I see you've already checked it... I'm out of ideas for the minute.

My suggestion would be the check the brake shrouds on the other wheels... I don't know how many times I've had a noise while a vehicle is moving that I'd swear came from somewhere, but it would turn out it came from somewhere else on the car, miles away.

Hubs in or out it makes it, I thought it was initially with the hubs in, but when driving at 80kph on highway with hubs out you can still hear it. When I check the wheel bearings I also looked at the manual locking hubs and they operate smoothly, I should have mentioned that.

I'd pull the rears and make sure you haven't got anything caught in the drums too. Worth a look if the fronts are all good

I only recently, last 6 months pulled the rears apart to fit new wheel cylinders and clean everything up, but you are right it is worth a look. My first thought was wheel bearings. I took them apart and re greased and put new seals in the fronts when I got the car at about 120xxxkms but didnt replace the bearings or races as they looked fine and have been working fine ever since and given there is no end play or wobble when shaking the tyre I assume they are still good.

are the front brake pads in good condition ? if there on the limit you will hear that metalic sound which comes from the metal limiter part that lets you know its time for new pads.

It feels like when the brake is depressed the sound goes away, but that may just be the wheel slowing down overall. There wasnt heaps of meat left on the pad but there was definitely at least 5mm left. I shouldnt make the metallic scraping sound all the time though? And at different speeds? That doesnt make a lot of sense. None he less Ill have another look

You need new brake pads.
The noise you are hearing are what is called the screamers, a little metal tag that rubs on the disc to let you know the brake pads need changing.
It could only be one of the pads that has worn more than the others.
Check all 4.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, this last couple of days I have been unable to re produce the sound, it is getting harder and harder to hear.

I'd go with tonys suggestion. New brake pads needed.
Mine made that too, but the noise stops when the brakes are actually applied.

Sounds good guys. I get the scrape sound after car sits for a while and I drive without using the brakes. As soon as I slam the brakes on hard the noise disappears. Got some Bendix heavy duty 4wd ones to go in on the weekend when I get time to fit them

i had a similar thing a little while back. seized caliper sliders so pads wore uneven and one was down to the tabs.

Others have said doing lots of beach work wears the pads out pretty quick, sand makes good grinding paste

I've had a grinding noise before after lots of beach work, turned out to be sand in the center bearing. The fact the noise goes on braking rules that out.

Hey guys just took the pads out this arvo. Indeed the inner side has worn more than the outer side on the drivers side so that the wear indicator was scratching. I have never changed brake pads in a car before so I had no knowledge in the area to realise what the sound was haha. Thank you all for solving my issue I am now wiser for it. If the pads wear more on the inside than the outside is not and issue is it? Inner pad has about 3mm vs outer pad @ 5mm. Pad wear appears consistent over the area of both pads. I do a fair bit of sand driving as I live in Hervey bay so go to Fraser island a fair bit

Passenger side was worn a touch more uneven. Inside was about 3.5mm and outside was 6.5mm, the wear indicator wasn't there on the passenger side it must have broken off. Also found a slider caliper bolt with no grease and corroded so I cleaned that re greased also.

most standard brake calipers have one or two pistons which are on the inner side of caliper and for the outer side braking is relyed on smooth movement with the outer caliper halve, so its critical to make sure both slider pins allow the outer halve to move freely in and out without restriction so clean and greased pins are needed.

Latest posts

Back