2011 D40 clutch issues fixed?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just about to take delivery of a new STX D40. I have read alot about clutch issues on the manual D40's but im working on the theory that these would have been fixed by now. Is this correct? or are people still wearing them out prematurely. I guess I'm just trying to re assure myself that I made the right choice in not getting the Hilux and taking my chances with the D40.
Anyother issues I should be made aware of?
cheers,

Welcome to the forums husky,

You will find most people with D40's since about 08 are reporting the clutch issues have been fixed or are at least better. Bad news travels fast and there is plenty of forums where those problems are still spoken about as if they happened yesterday but I'm fairly sure most owners here now are saying there has been improvements.

D22's still run a normal clutch and flywheel.

Maybe the Landcruiser ute and the Patrol ut to. The rest are running the DMF from memory.

Dmf is the worst thing created. Even in my bommadore.. I got is of that at 45k and put a single mass in..

D40 Clutch Issues

I've had mine since new in 08 and haven't had a problem with the clutch. Even with a very heavy load in the tub and bogged it didn't give a hint of weakness. Could be the drivers using too much clutch or just a bad batch? But no issues with mine.

can someone clarify the clutch for D40 ST Thailand built. When i bought mine a few months ago i was told the thailand have a more heavy duty clutch is this true? what did he mean by this, that the thailand have single mass flywheels as mine has a little rattle in idle starting at 1100 rpm gets worse as you raise revs to 1400 rpm where it rattles front panel.
Is this VIBRATION NORMAL, does anyone know if ST thailand series 5 have DUAL or Single mass flywheel. Thanks

NO, even the Thai biult utes have the Dual mass flywheel.

I'm almost at 50 thousand kms in my 2009 RX model - no hint of problems yet. And thats considering i'm almost 3 ton just driving normal around town, and i regularly tow a 1 ton camper, and i used to regualarly tow my 1.3 ton boat to/from the ramp.

Either I'm lucky with the clutch (dont laugh fellas) or i'm just easy on it. Probably the former, not the latter.

G'day Husky,
In the same boat as you. Soon to take delivery of an STX King Cab. Read a few horror stories. Bloke down the street has an 09 STX dual cab . He goes off road regularly. Tows an off road camper and has not had any problems with his clutch or anything else for that matter. If that provides any comfort.

I'm not sure where all the various models are built but I have been told by the sales guy the the stx Dual Cab is built in Spain and the stx KingCab is built in Thailand. For me I don't care where it's built. Just hope the guys that slap mine together have just had a few days off and it's not the end of there week :)

I have a 2011 thai ST with just over 10k on the clock and im a little worried about my clutch, Hopefully someone can help.

Its not that its slipping, has slipped or any problems in 4wd etc.
it has smelled bad once while in the bush, partly my fault partly because of where the clutch disengages, this is the thing that bugs me.....
Now im not very up in the lingo so ill try my best to describe what i mean,

If i apply the slightest amount of pressure on the pedal, Say move it forward 10-20mm i am able to freely change gears....
This to me seems wrong?
am i correct in saying its on its way out?
or needs adjusting etc?
Or am i going in for a shit fight with the stealership

any help is appreciated guys

I can do the same in my 2011 ST, I believe its just that tiny amount to take the preload off the input shaft that allows the to occur and that you shouldn't worry about it.

Hi Gents I have worked on D40 06 Spanish through to 11 Thai. I have seen the same duel mass flywheel dmf Exceedy clutch plate and clutch cover on all. The dmf has a disk like a dinner plate only 10mm or so thick. This is the friction side of the flywheel. A solid flywheel is usually 20 mm to 30 mm thick so having that mass of material it will take the heat away form the clutch plate when slipping. If you slip the clutch with a dmf the clutch plate will heat up much quicker than the solid flywheel. The heat also transfers to the clutch cover then to the diaphragm spring weakening the spring. Solid mass flywheel smf is most reliable. Clutch plates for d40 are designed for dmf. When a standard exceedy clutch plate is fitted to a smf the engine torque noise is transferred all the way down the drive train. We are looking into designing smf clutch plate which will dampen the torque noise and have a high copper content organic facings to extend the service life. Hope this is of help. Cheers

Hi Gents I have worked on D40 06 Spanish through to 11 Thai. I have seen the same duel mass flywheel dmf Exceedy clutch plate and clutch cover on all. The dmf has a disk like a dinner plate only 10mm or so thick. This is the friction side of the flywheel. A solid flywheel is usually 20 mm to 30 mm thick so having that mass of material it will take the heat away form the clutch plate when slipping. If you slip the clutch with a dmf the clutch plate will heat up much quicker than the solid flywheel. The heat also transfers to the clutch cover then to the diaphragm spring weakening the spring. Solid mass flywheel smf is most reliable. Clutch plates for d40 are designed for dmf. When a standard exceedy clutch plate is fitted to a smf the engine torque noise is transferred all the way down the drive train. We are looking into designing smf clutch plate which will dampen the torque noise and have a high copper content organic facings to extend the service life. Hope this is of help. Cheers

This sounds good, when will it be available?

Hi ... 2010 ST Navara, 101K and clutch is still going ok (I tow my boat every few weeks and a bit if beach / dune work every now and then).

Daily driver to and from work (about 800Ks per week).

Hi Gents
Update on solid flywheel and heavy duty clutch conversion for D40 R51 D22.

We will be releasing solid flywheels 20KG 15kg. We expect this to be in Jan 2013 however check out out web site yd25.com.au The flywheels are nodular cast iron, fully cnc machined. The nodular iron absorbs heat better than steel flywheels, therefor the occurrence of hot spots to the flywheel and clutch cover is mimunised.

Clutch cover. We have had 200 clutch covers manufactured with nodular iron friction plates, the burst speed is over 10,000rpm. The clamp has been tested by a leading clutch installer in Brisbane 3100 lb 1400 kg. The clutch covers and flywheels are being balanced by Grant at Brisbane Engine Balancing, his balancing gear is accurate to less than 1 gram. The Flywheel is balanced first than the clutch cover is bolted to the flywheel and balanced as a unit. Individual clutch covers will be balanced for D22. For a fee Grant can balance your D22 flywheel with our clutch cover as a unit.

Clutch plates We have developed a clutch plate with 2 stage dampening. We have tested many combinations of dampening set ups. We have settled on a 2 stage dampening configuration that gives the best combination of strength and noise absorption. The facing is a semi ceramic lining. This facing has the smooth engagement and operation of an organic facing however it has the life expectancy of a ceramic button clutch with out the shudder and harsh operation.

Cheers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back