D22 D40 R51 Navara Pathfinder YD25 Timing Chain conversion kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if u got a performance module can cause higher fuel rail pressures than standard, which puts more strain on the single row timing chain driving the fuel pump.

Hi all

I have now fitted one of the YD25 kits to my D22 and the findings were that I had little to no wear to all the guides and all sprockets were fine, but the primary timing chain was stretched and the tensioners were sus. I put the lack of wear down to the fact that I use Nulon oil with the Nulon oil additive every service. this stuff stops the engine wear but cant stop a chain from stretching. I am now sure that with the double row chain and new tensoners and guides that if I continue to use the Nulon and oil additive I should never have to touch this again.
The mechanic that intalled the kit couldn't believe how clean the engine was, so it's good to know this stuff works.

08 D22 2.5l 100.000k's

Cheers

I am a big fan of Nulon Oils and love there product. I changed ot the 5w-30 Fully Syn Diesel Formula and havent had any dramas since. My mechanic recently used a 10w-40 semi and i cna tell the difference, especially in cold start with the rattles and tings which i am thinking are the timing chain.

What additive are you using in your oil? the nulon sight has a few different types and am gonna give the Diesel Engine Treatment a go.

thanks

Mine is still intact. Still fixing all the stuff ups from the mechanic tho. Pinched my spotlight harness putting the console in, plus the oil smell from the gear leaver boot. Timing chain ok tho.

Is the timing chain really that Sh#t house?

Need to put the mind at ease?

Has anyone had a timing chain let go on the YD25 engine?

Is the conversion kit really necessary for vehicles over the 100k's or is it just an insurance policy?

My vehicle is getting close to the 95k, is it a ticking time bomb? and how do I best prevent this?

Cheers

Need to put the mind at ease?

Has anyone had a timing chain let go on the YD25 engine?

Is the conversion kit really necessary for vehicles over the 100k's or is it just an insurance policy?

My vehicle is getting close to the 95k, is it a ticking time bomb? and how do I best prevent this?

Cheers

Mate the only way without pulling it apart is to listen for a rattle on start up, you will know it when you hear it. The only other way is to take the front covers off and have a look, D40's are pretty easy to check. I replaced mine because I was getting very bad rattles at startup and when I replaced it the guides had no ware and the chain had just started to stretch because the links were loose. My noise could have even been a faulty tensioner as this was a problem as well. If you replace it with a YD25 kit it comes with everything brand new and on a D40 you should be able to get out of it completely done for under two grand. The problem is it hard to say when or even if it will go. I have heard that if you plan to chip your engine it ads pressure to the chain as well due to extra load on the fuel pump but don't know how true that is.

Cheers Brad.

Last edited:
Liz repair pathfinder

Hi Paul looking for a quote to repair a 2006 nissan pathfinder r51 timing chain
How long does it take to do ?
And how much for parts?
How much for labour?

[email protected]
Thanks Liz

Paul here form yd25.com.au
We are located next to the Brisbane airport. I have been working on Nissan Navara D22 D40 and Pathfinder R51 YD25 engines for some time.

Having worked on these engines I have seen timing chain failures in D22 D40 Navara and The R51 Pathfinder YD25. Upon investigation, in most cases the slack guide plastic facings had various stages of wear through to the aluminum slack guide frame. In other cases the crank and vac pump sprockets have lost teeth. I asked my self the question "Why would a single row chain be driving the fuel pump from the crank and the cams have a double row chain driving then form the fuel pump". It was apparent to me that the fuel pump needed a double row chain 2 times stronger than the cam chain.

We investigated to see what the manufacturer was doing about this issue. I was advised that the same chain and guides were being replaced. I was astounded that this was the response. With this being the case the chains and guides would need to be changed every 100K kms. The quote form the manufacturer for the job was $3300. This did not seem like a good outcome for the owners of these vehicles.

We had found the YD25 to be a good powerful fuel efficient engine form my personal experience. Our oldest D40 has over 200K kms. It needed a head gasket. After removing the head, inspection of the cylinder bores, the original hone marks were still visible from the top to the bottom of each cylinder. No wear in the bores. Good metal in the block not wearing.

We have developed a double row timing chain conversion kit for the YD25DDTI common rail engine used in the D22 D40 Navara R51 Pathfinder. We have a component registered design. We will supply kits to the motor trade and DIY both local and international. Check out our links for installers.

We are continuing to conduct research and development and make improvements to the components. We have found original components which have inherent design faults form new. At the moment we are developing new tensionors. We have developed other components in this kit. We instruct our patents attorney to apply for international intellectual property wrights in many country's around the world covering our improved component designs.

It has come to our attention that some people are purchasing aftermarket timing chain kits form ebay and other supplier in Australia. Let me make it clear we have a DUPLEX TIMING CHAIN CONVERSION KIT. These people are finding that the timing chain kits are just replacement kit for an engine that already is set up with duplex double row chain not a CONVERSION FORM SIMPLEX CHAIN TO DUPLEX CHAIN as our kits are. We only sell our designed parts with our conversion kit and supply FREE OF CHARGE to customers with our parts installed. We are constantly having people call us for our designed parts, so as previously stated we will only supply our own designed parts in our kits. It has also come to our attention that there are some duplex conversion kits on the market. The price of these kits from overseas is a bit less than our price. These kits are a direct copy of old yd engine parts with the inherent faults copied. We have designed several new components which save hours on the installation time of our kit compared to the time required to installing the old copied parts. Time is money so with our support to the installer whilst installing the kit it will save you many $ on the installation cost. Be fully aware of what you are buying before paying.

Fitting an after market plug in performance module can cause higher fuel rail pressures than standard, which puts more strain on the single row timing chain driving the fuel pump. We advise customers to fit our double row timing chain conversion kit before fitting a plug in performance module.

A primary timing chain failure in the Nissan Navara D22 D40 Pathfinder R51 yd25 engine will cause extensive internal engine damage. For more info and photos click here[/QUOTE]

Hi

My Navara D40 STX 2008, with 80,000kms has just been diagnosed with a stretched timing chain

I am going to get the yd25.com.au the Timing Chain Conversion Kit installed

Seems like the sensible thing to do

The mechanic at my local Nissan dealer suggested that was the best solution, he said the timing chain is a common problem on these YD25 D40 and said if I go with the genuine parts its just going let me down

Anyway I hope it goes OK I am starting to dislike my Navara, just too many issues

Stretched timing chain
Turbo problems
Rear bumber tail light keeps falling out
Electric window button playing up
Plastic door handle broken
Plastic laminate on the trims wearing and looks terrible

YD Timing Chain conversion kit

Update on my last post
On Tuesday 29/10 I drove my much hated D40 beast with only 80,000 on the clock to

Armour Automotive
24 Copeland St Kingswood NSW 2747
(02) 4731 2161

Dan and the team out there are fantastic

I was recommended to them by Paul at
www.yd25.com.au

Anyway my local useless Nissan dealer had told me it was stretched timing chain, to be expected at 80,000 they say, BS

I personally think 80k is pathetic, but regardless

Armour Automotive
did a remove and replace on the Timing chains, installing Pauls kit

They also diagnosed my Turbo problem as
and replaced my Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid

I picked it up yesterday Friday 1/11

It’s so quite now, it runs smoothly and goes lick the clappers

Well Done !!
Armour Automotive

They have my recommendation

I have attached some pic to show you guys what Nissan say is expected wear at 80,00kms

Attachments

• YD_Timing Chain Assembly.pdf
    131.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Armour_Automive_Penrith_NSW.JPG
    Armour_Automive_Penrith_NSW.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 210
  • YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Old Assembly_1.JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Old Assembly_1.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 685
  • YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Old Assembly_2.JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Old Assembly_2.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 5,810
  • YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Slack Guide Worn_4.JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Slack Guide Worn_4.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 237
Timing Chain conversion kit

more pics

Attachments

• YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Slack Guide Worn_5..JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Slack Guide Worn_5..JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 208
  • YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Big Sprocket_7.JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Big Sprocket_7.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 150
  • YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Big Sprocket_9.JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Big Sprocket_9.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 190
  • YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Small Sprocket_10.JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Small Sprocket_10.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 206
  • YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Small Sprocket_12.JPG
    YD_80000kms_Timing_Chain_Worn Small Sprocket_12.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 211
There was a post from a kiwi member who said he worked for Nissan. He reckons the timing chain problem was caused by the EGR system making the oil acidic ( i've heard this before) and that there was a software update to prevent it. If that was true you'd think all vehicles with EGR would have the same problem.

Can any who has had this conversion done both by themselves and a mechanic give us an idea what they paid, both for labour and purchasing??

Cheers

Can any who has had this conversion done both by themselves and a mechanic give us an idea what they paid, both for labour and purchasing?? Cheers

I paid about $1000 labour and about $100 for misc oils etc
The labour included diagnosing and replacing the turbo control solenoid valve
My mechanic got the yd25 conversion kit at trade
Armour Automotive at Kingswood near Penrith NSW did job for me

I am very happy with Armour and my D40 now

Smooth quite and sounds like it should at 80,000 Km's, all the "Death Rattle" has gone

Armour did mine to. $3000 supply and fit on a d22. Bitch of a job hence the extra cost. Then Paul from YD25 did mine the second time at Armour's workshop with the upgraded kit for free. Good deal that one. If I had a d40 I would do it myself. I would even do the d22 myself now I have a spare car. At the time I needed it on the road and couldn't afford it to take to long.

Cheers.

Hey i have a 05 frontier 4.0 v6 and could i do a conversion on mine to solve my timing chain issue. Its making a whinning noise. Iv done research. And it says its the tining chain eating the plastic or something

Armour did mine to. $3000 supply and fit on a d22. Bitch of a job hence the extra cost. Then Paul from YD25 did mine the second time at Armour's workshop with the upgraded kit for free. Good deal that one. If I had a d40 I would do it myself. I would even do the d22 myself now I have a spare car. At the time I needed it on the road and couldn't afford it to take to long.

Cheers.

Just interested.. how many k's on the D22 when it had to be done.

Regards

Greg

Latest posts

Back