YD25DDTi Big End Bearings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then why can't I be seen in the photo, you were sitting on my lap during that photo shoot.

And just for shits and giggles you spelt 'dyslexic' wrong ya spud

you still cant friggen spell can ya...:happy_smile:

just had a good look and apart from the two from the left..which isnt natural wearing.. otherwise they are near new...go on.. have a proper look :jackoff:

maybe you need the glasses Fearless Fly.

Guys,

My Navara is a UK spec, and with all UK spec rigs it doesn't seem to be a matter of if they blow up but when, the problems are:-

1 - The big end bearing shells are subject to delaminating and collapsing
2 - The con rod bolts snap as they have apparently been over torqued when the engine was assembled.

Both the above results in the insides of the engine ending up on the outside, usually through cylinder three (no idea why no. 3, but all the UK forums seem to identify that as the first one to go.)

My engine was standard before Billcar Engineering upgraded the bearings to ACL shells and ARP bolts, since then Ive fitted a tuning kit and i am now looking for a straight through exhaust but they not an off the shelf item in the UK.

Hope this clears things up.

Count yourself lucky guys if the D22 UK wasn't on sale in your area.

And we sometimes reckon we are hard done by getting offloaded with crap nobody else in the world would take.

Not the only ones it appears.

Guys,

My Navara is a UK spec, and with all UK spec rigs it doesn't seem to be a matter of if they blow up but when, the problems are:-

1 - The big end bearing shells are subject to delaminating and collapsing
2 - The con rod bolts snap as they have apparently been over torqued when the engine was assembled.

Both the above results in the insides of the engine ending up on the outside, usually through cylinder three (no idea why no. 3, but all the UK forums seem to identify that as the first one to go.)

My engine was standard before Billcar Engineering upgraded the bearings to ACL shells and ARP bolts, since then Ive fitted a tuning kit and i am now looking for a straight through exhaust but they not an off the shelf item in the UK.

Hope this clears things up.

Count yourself lucky guys if the D22 UK wasn't on sale in your area.

yes thanks for that ^^^

keep in mind that new different make bearings wont fix the reason why the problem happened in the first place.....those two baering shells show a sympton not of dodgy bearing manufacturing but other engine probs.

just for one

...I would say that the crank journal/s that ride in those two shells is not ground parallel... WHY?...just because its in the pictures provided...look at the wear pattern...

but there IS other reasons why bearings get the symptoms that yours are showing..

either way....if the above two reasons you give are true...good that you did something about it, and WHY wont nissan do anything about it is the issue...specially the rod bolts..Hmmmm

are the 4 shells on the left the upper ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes thanks for that ^^^

keep in mind that new different make bearings wont fix the reason why the problem happened in the first place.....those two baering shells show a sympton not of dodgy bearing manufacturing but other engine probs.

just for one

...I would say that the crank journal/s that ride in those two shells is not ground parallel... WHY?...just because its in the pictures provided...look at the wear pattern...

but there IS other reasons why bearings get the symptoms that yours are showing..

either way....if the above two reasons you give are true...good that you did something about it, and WHY wont nissan do anything about it is the issue...specially the rod bolts..Hmmmm

are the 4 shells on the left the upper ones?

Krankn,

The 4 shells on the left were the bottom ones and although the wear pattern on mine looks to the one side, I've seen ones where the delaminating has started in the middle and also at the other side, so the general thinking with everyone in the UK is its the shells that are the problem. I'm sure that the little shards of shell that peel off do no good at all for the crank and other engine parts.

As for sub-standard bolts and shells I dont think Nissan ever officially admitted the problem as it would have been a huge recall for major engine work and not for something simple like changing a seat belt or similar that would only take 30 minutes or so do each vehicle. I have heard that Nissan changed a few engines that blew up very early on in their lives, i.e. less than 10,000 miles, but even then they tried to blame the operator for anything they could think of.

In the UK there is no shortage of D22s for sale with around 60-80K miles on the clock with a broken engines.

As far as I know they fixed the problem for the D40, but then started using simplex timing chains on them rather than the duplex on the D22 which is now causing problems for the D40 guys. It sounds like Nissan UK fixes one problem then creates another, rather than leaving things alone.

I still dont believe the bearings are at fault.....in any case, even if it is delamination, which is caused by other factors...
one, is its much more prevalent in diesel engines due to the higher loads,
high temps....oiling issues, are some others...aeration of the oil is another bad thing....

and obviously slack servicing intervals...cheapshit oils........

even a substandard crankshaft journal finish will kill bearings quickly..

I think nissan know exactly what the prob is, just typical bastards wont fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There seemed to be an issue with bearings and big end failure in the earlier yd25 up to 05 or 06. Is yours in that build year. I have recently seen a yd25 08 dismantled at 170'000 kms and the bearings were fine.

Last edited:
There seemed to be an issue with bearings and big end failure in the earlier yd25 up to 05 or 06. Is yours in that build year. I recently saw a yd25 08 dismantled at 170'000 kms and the bearings were fine.

an 08 will be common rail and they don't have the same problem.

i'm with krankin on this. i doubt its the bearings itself. more likely bearing clearance issues or wrong oil pressure/flow for the type of bearings.

The Pom's reckon that the bearing's were different.

The UK banned lead use in engine bearings.

Another failed Green program.

How much pollution was made from these bearings failing.

The UK Nissan forum, there convention style bearings. But they were tin and copper bearings from memory or something like that.

Back