D22 D40 R51 Navara Pathfinder YD25 Timing Chain conversion kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yd25

Reaction score
Hi Gents
Paul here form yd25.com.au
We are located next to the Brisbane airport. I have been working on Nissan Navara D22 D40 and Pathfinder R51 YD25 engines for some time.

Having worked on these engines I have seen timing chain failures in D22 D40 Navara and The R51 Pathfinder YD25. Upon investigation, in most cases the slack guide plastic facings had various stages of wear through to the aluminum slack guide frame. In other cases the crank and vac pump sprockets have lost teeth. I asked my self the question "Why would a single row chain be driving the fuel pump from the crank and the cams have a double row chain driving then form the fuel pump". It was apparent to me that the fuel pump needed a double row chain 2 times stronger than the cam chain.

We investigated to see what the manufacturer was doing about this issue. I was advised that the same chain and guides were being replaced. I was astounded that this was the response. With this being the case the chains and guides would need to be changed every 100K kms. The quote form the manufacturer for the job was $3300. This did not seem like a good outcome for the owners of these vehicles.

We had found the YD25 to be a good powerful fuel efficient engine form my personal experience. Our oldest D40 has over 200K kms. It needed a head gasket. After removing the head, inspection of the cylinder bores, the original hone marks were still visible from the top to the bottom of each cylinder. No wear in the bores. Good metal in the block not wearing.

We have developed a double row timing chain conversion kit for the YD25DDTI common rail engine used in the D22 D40 Navara R51 Pathfinder. We have a component registered design. We will supply kits to the motor trade and DIY both local and international. Check out our links for installers.

We are continuing to conduct research and development and make improvements to the components. We have found original components which have inherent design faults form new. At the moment we are developing new tensionors. We have developed other components in this kit. We instruct our patents attorney to apply for international intellectual property wrights in many country's around the world covering our improved component designs.

It has come to our attention that some people are purchasing aftermarket timing chain kits form ebay and other supplier in Australia. Let me make it clear we have a DUPLEX TIMING CHAIN CONVERSION KIT. These people are finding that the timing chain kits are just replacement kit for an engine that already is set up with duplex double row chain not a CONVERSION FORM SIMPLEX CHAIN TO DUPLEX CHAIN as our kits are. We only sell our designed parts with our conversion kit and supply FREE OF CHARGE to customers with our parts installed. We are constantly having people call us for our designed parts, so as previously stated we will only supply our own designed parts in our kits. It has also come to our attention that there are some duplex conversion kits on the market. The price of these kits from overseas is a bit less than our price. These kits are a direct copy of old yd engine parts with the inherent faults copied. We have designed several new components which save hours on the installation time of our kit compared to the time required to installing the old copied parts. Time is money so with our support to the installer whilst installing the kit it will save you many $ on the installation cost. Be fully aware of what you are buying before paying.

Fitting an after market plug in performance module can cause higher fuel rail pressures than standard, which puts more strain on the single row timing chain driving the fuel pump. We advise customers to fit our double row timing chain conversion kit before fitting a plug in performance module.

A primary timing chain failure in the Nissan Navara D22 D40 Pathfinder R51 yd25 engine will cause extensive internal engine damage. For more info and photos click here

Last edited:
Website is working now.

I don't remember too many yd25 owners on here talking about timing chain issues. Most timing chain threads on this forum (probably 95% of them) are asking whether it's a chain or belt and why change it at 100K like the manual says.

Seems to be a few R51 hatchbacks suffering the timing chain failure/ premature wear as mentioned, For the amount of these engines out there it doesnt seem to be a huge percentage though.

The question is how many are a problem. I don't remember too many people on this site reporting the issue. The number of issues that have been reported on this site is huge but I just don't remember the timing chain to be one of them. Doesn't make the product less viable if that's what people want to buy.

There have been plenty of YD25 Timing chain issues and replacements.

This sounds a good idea for those needing replacement out of warranty.

Regards

Greg

Hi all.

This is my 1st post here, iv done a lot of reading and found a lot of great information. but this time I couldn't find the answers I was looking for.
So my questions are about the timing chain issues with the YD2.5L engine.

1: Was this only in some year model D22's as mine is a 2008

2: Mine will start up ok but after a minute or two will start to rattle mainly on cold mornings. could this be the chain. 100k just up.

3: Is it true that in the D22 that you have to slip the gearbox back, drop the front axel and remove the sump to replace the primary timing chain. I have read that the gearbox needs to be slipped to get to some hidden bolts but thought it was only the D40's that required this. as for the sump removal I take it that the lower timing case cover is held somehow by the sump?

If anyone has done this prosedure and can shed some light on it the information would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to posting on better things such as the build of my navara and not repairing something that should just work. cheers

Last edited:
Hi Gents
Paul here form yd25.com.au
We are located next to the Brisbane airport. I have been working on Nissan Navara D22 D40 and Pathfinder R51 YD25 engines for some time.

Having worked on these engines I have seen timing chain failures in D22 D40 Navara and The R51 Pathfinder YD25. Upon investigation, in most cases the slack guide plastic facings had various stages of wear through to the aluminum slack guide frame. In other cases the crank and vac pump sprockets have lost teeth. I asked my self the question "Why would a single row chain be driving the fuel pump from the crank and the cams have a double row chain driving then form the fuel pump". It was apparent to me that the fuel pump needed a double row chain 2 times stronger than the cam chain.

We investigated to see what the manufacturer was doing about this issue. I was advised that the same chain and guides were being replaced. I was astounded that this was the response. With this being the case the chains and guides would need to be changed every 100K kms. The quote form the manufacturer for the job was $3300. This did not seem like a good outcome for the owners of these vehicles.

We had found the YD25 to be a good powerful fuel efficient engine form my personal experience. Our oldest D40 has over 200K kms. It needed a head gasket. After removing the head, inspection of the cylinder bores, the original hone marks were still visible from the top to the bottom of each cylinder. No wear in the bores. Good metal in the block not wearing.

We have developed a double row timing chain conversion kit for the YD25DDTI common rail engine used in the D22 D40 Navara R51 Pathfinder. We have a component registered design. We will supply kits to the motor trade and DIY both local and international. We offer an install service in Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Fitting an after market plug in performance module can cause higher fuel rail pressures than standard, which puts more strain on the single row timing chain driving the fuel pump. We advise customers to fit our double row timing chain conversion kit before fitting a plug in performance module.

A primary timing chain failure in the Nissan Navara D22 D40 Pathfinder R51 yd25 engine will cause extensive internal engine damage. For more info and photos click here
Hi now much are the kits and how much would it cost to fit them

Is it possible to remove the original chain and replace with the new one with the engine still in the car by removing the grille,intercooler, radiator ect????

OR do you have to pull the motor??

nathand22 said:
Is it possible to remove the original chain and replace with the new one with the engine still in the car by removing the grille,intercooler, radiator ect????

OR do you have to pull the motor??

Motor stays in vehicle

Navmania have got all the photos to answer your question, the add photo asks for http:// not c drive to upload. does anyone know how to upload form c drive
nathand22 remove fan and shroud not radiator d40 more space than d22.
bricki d40 r51 1 day to fit, d22 2 day to fit.

Navmania have got all the photos to answer your question, the add photo asks for http:// not c drive to upload. does anyone know how to upload form c drive
nathand22 remove fan and shroud not radiator d40 more space than d22.
bricki d40 r51 1 day to fit, d22 2 day to fit.

Go to photo bucket.com and create an account, it tells you on there how to upload photos and embed them into your forum posts

Go to photo bucket.com and create an account, it tells you on there how to upload photos and embed them into your forum posts

Thanks Champ

yd251

cheers

Last edited:
when you put em up you need to copy the link with
and paste it in the thread, that way it will embed the images,

kinda like this
d40oilpickup.jpg*

but no asterixs, (if that's a word, lol)
d40oilpickup.jpg

and another
d22sumpoff.jpg

I just did my timing chain at 126500ks on my d40 diesel. I am going to share with you the experience I had doing this job. I use this forum for information and have read many articles since owing a d40 and finding the forum.
I found searching this forum some people posting issues with yd25 timing chain failures. From what I had found there seemed to be an issue with the single row chain. I found a post on this forum with a link to a uk based company. Checked this out and it seemed fairly complicated having to remove the vac pump and send it to the uk to upgrade it to double row gears. I did not want my car of the road for 2 weeks. I found out that to take the vac pump of the fuel pump had to be removed, this did not seem like well thought out solution. The final price and the inconvenience did not appeal to me. Further searching on this forum I found yd25. I looked at the web site and found out that it was Brisbane based business and that there had ovesly been quite a bit of work done as there was a registered design with the Australian govement. I made contact with yd25 Paul and explained that I was not a mechanic, but that I had done my own mechanical work previously including changing timing chains on petrol engines. Paul assured me that I could tackle the job myself. He explained that there was a procedure that he had written and that he was available for help over the phone when I was doing the job. I had not worked on modern common rail diesel engines and I now had the reassurance that I would be helped while doing the job. I purchased the kit It arrived the following day. I set about doing the job on the weekend. During that weekend I called Paul many times about various details. Each time Paul pointed me in the right direction and stepped me through to the next step. The job went on until Sunday arvo, each time I called Paul was helpful and polite. I ask the question has anyone on this forum purchase car parts and been able to call the seller for assistance to install the parts, maybe during the week but on Sunday arvo? The parts first the parts I removed.The guides where starting to come apart where the chain runs on the guides. The vac pump sprocket was showing sings of wear.
The replacement parts form yd25.com.au. The bottom chain and sprockets were obversely 2 times stronger than Nissan as the replacement chain is twice as wide, the full width of the guides, so the guides will last twice as long. Yd25’s replacement parts all fitted with out having to do any work to the vac pump or the fuel pump. On summing up paul form yd25.com.au he is a champion saved me alot of money and some of the best service as i had. I had a few questions and he answered them for me. It could of been fatal if i didn’t change them so will live a bit longer well clearly twice as long as it would have. Now thanks Paul this is why ppl are upgrading to double row here is his site have a look at the pics http://yd25.com.au/nissan-yd25-single-row-timing-chain/

Last edited:
Hi all

I have now fitted one of the YD25 kits to my D22 and the findings were that I had little to no wear to all the guides and all sprockets were fine, but the primary timing chain was stretched and the tensioners were sus. I put the lack of wear down to the fact that I use Nulon oil with the Nulon oil additive every service. this stuff stops the engine wear but cant stop a chain from stretching. I am now sure that with the double row chain and new tensoners and guides that if I continue to use the Nulon and oil additive I should never have to touch this again.
The mechanic that intalled the kit couldn't believe how clean the engine was, so it's good to know this stuff works.

08 D22 2.5l 100.000k's

Cheers

Latest posts

Back