New from Qld!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone names Mick,

I've been using this forum as an invaluable resource for awhile now.

Over the last few months members like you have solved my problems before i even had to ask!
I've learned about the benifits of catch cans and egr plates, found out that the fan resistor was the culprit to our cold air woes ($38 genuine part from nissan!)

I've probably saved hundreds by visiting this forum before going to the dealer.

So i thought it was about time to register and contribute something as i have some info to add about our own D40 Timing chain tensioner experience. (We're 2 years and 10,000k out of warranty and they're doing the whole front end on goodwill)

I'll put a link in here to the appropriate thread once i get some more info from Nissan.

Thanks again everyone here who has contributed to this forum.

Welcome!!
Glad to hear you decided to join instead of quietly stalking us as a non-member :p
Enjoy your time here! Everyone's very friendly and helpful :)

Last edited:
Welcome mate!

Good news on the timing chain deal. Did you have a full service history with that particular dealer/Nissan service?

Great looking trucks those King Cabs :)

Hey Tappet, yeah mate we've been using Gladstone Nissan for a couple of years now and every 10k was done with the odd 5k after towing horses.

I wasn't expecting help because it's 2 years out of warranty. But thanks to the forum I saw that some people have had success with more kms.

I brought it up after the the dealership finished the 100k service. I pointed out that the service handbook shows the timing belt is to be inspected/replaced. they said, (as you've probably heard it) we only do it if it needs doing.

Thats when i brought up the fact that the rattling started at 95000 for around 2 seconds first thing in the morning.
They assured me it's "normal" as the oil galleys for the tensioners had to prime.

Needless to say i wasn't convinced.
So i was looking into the double row replacement and doing my own services from 110 on. I figured I'm already out of warranty by 2 years and I'd probably do a more thorough job than the dealers new "Express services"

So i changed the oil at 110 with Nulon fully synthetic 5/40 this was a mistake. Or was it? Lol

This exacerbated the chain rattle ten fold!
Took ten seconds for it to take up.
I guess because of the lower viscosity allowed it to drain back more overnight, resulting in the pump needing more time to build up pressure on the tensioners.

I took it in and queried the service manager on it and told them I'll do the 110 service aswell. He put in a claim and it was approved yesterday! Got a pulsar to runabout in while they do it too!

So yeah thats it, hopefully have it done by the weekend. Mind you they rang me to say the belts and pulleys could use replacing (interesting that they didn't mention it in the service) but they said free labour to do cuz it's already pulled apart.

If someone wants to post this in the appropriate thread by all means go for it. I haven't figured out those tricks yet.

Ok.

Interesting on the oil, usually the lower the viscosity (the runnier :) the greater/faster the ability to fill those oil galleries and pump up the that oil pressure on a cold start.

As for the belts and pulleys, sounds like there trying to put a bit of fat in it for themselves. However they have got a point with the labor. Check out the price of a water pump. Changing that out while in there is not a bad idea. With a 100.000K,s on it, if still on the originals a new tensioner pulley and belt wouldn't hurt.

Yeah someone else mentioned that aswell I'll give them a call thanks.

I wouldn't mind replacing the coolant either. I haven't seen it done on any service records but they said it gets done every 40 or something.

I can't believe you got through that whole post lol. I thought it was a tad novelish but i thought i could cut and paste it into a thread somewhere. I'll have a look today.

Latest posts

Back