d40 maximum boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericcs

Reaction score
this is just a curiosity question. I just downloaded the torque app., so now I would like to know what boost my 126kw d40 should max out at. 20psi is the most it gets too?
only mods are an egr blank plate and a 3"exhaust!

Same engine here, I get roughly the same output. There might be slight variations in sensor accuracy with the output of the sensor "within tolerances". That "tolerance" could be 2-3psi which in reality isn't going to make an enormous difference to the engine.

If it were out by 10psi it'd be different ... 30psi in a D40 is quite "out there". Its max is supposed to be about 24psi. Only one I know of has hit 36psi and given the other mods to Bluenavara's engine, I really doubt he's on the original turbo anyway.

I gave it several quick runs, and best I got was 21, so I guess it's running as it should.
was a little surprised by the lack of any real improvement after fitting the 3" exhaust, power or economy!

Same engine here, I get roughly the same output. There might be slight variations in sensor accuracy with the output of the sensor "within tolerances". That "tolerance" could be 2-3psi which in reality isn't going to make an enormous difference to the engine.

If it were out by 10psi it'd be different ... 30psi in a D40 is quite "out there". Its max is supposed to be about 24psi. Only one I know of has hit 36psi and given the other mods to Bluenavara's engine, I really doubt he's on the original turbo anyway.

can't find anything recent on bluenavara, wonder if it's still alive?

Perhaps look at more air in too. Found a huge difference with airbox mod- plumbing air from snorkel straight to airbox with unifilter fitted. Sounds cool too.

Needs good air in for exhaust to benefit.

Perhaps look at more air in too. Found a huge difference with airbox mod- plumbing air from snorkel straight to airbox with unifilter fitted. Sounds cool too.

Needs good air in for exhaust to benefit.

ok, thanks for that info, a snorkel was already on my to do list, so better move it up the list!

I haven't heard from Bluenavara in a while. Hope he's doing well.

Remove the baffles too. There's one inside the air box (you'll see it in this thread where I took my air box apart). It just slides out, no need to break anything.

There's another one in the picture below (which is from my garage). I've labelled "Turbocharged air" and just behind where the pointer touches the hose is a small metal odd thing - it's a restrictor, which forces the air to travel faster through that point so that sound can't travel back. Remove it. You'll get more engine noise but freer-flowing air.

6494.jpg

To safely tweak another couple of decimal points of a kW out of the engine you might also consider a misting system for the intercooler (which will also assist the other cooling components like the aircon condensor, oil cooler for those of us with autos that have bypassed the cooler in the radiator, and of course the radiator. It shouldn't give you LOTS of power, but - especially in summer - it should help things out a little. I'm seriously thinking about one for the hot season and just not bother turning it on in the cold. Saw one on eBay once that was little more than a wiper washer motor and a couple of misting spray jets from Bunnings irrigation section attached to a bottle.

I haven't heard from Bluenavara in a while. Hope he's doing well.

Remove the baffles too. There's one inside the air box (you'll see it in this thread where I took my air box apart). It just slides out, no need to break anything.

There's another one in the picture below (which is from my garage). I've labelled "Turbocharged air" and just behind where the pointer touches the hose is a small metal odd thing - it's a restrictor, which forces the air to travel faster through that point so that sound can't travel back. Remove it. You'll get more engine noise but freer-flowing air.

6494.jpg

To safely tweak another couple of decimal points of a kW out of the engine you might also consider a misting system for the intercooler (which will also assist the other cooling components like the aircon condensor, oil cooler for those of us with autos that have bypassed the cooler in the radiator, and of course the radiator. It shouldn't give you LOTS of power, but - especially in summer - it should help things out a little. I'm seriously thinking about one for the hot season and just not bother turning it on in the cold. Saw one on eBay once that was little more than a wiper washer motor and a couple of misting spray jets from Bunnings irrigation section attached to a bottle.

thanks again for your advice tony,
isn't the restrictor in the (turbocharged air pipe) removed when you fit one of those hot pipes?

Hi ericcs,

I also installed a 3" on my car, but I did notice a very noticeable improvement. Surprised you are not noticing the same.

Perhaps the DPF on the stock exhaust was getting blocked on my car, hence the improvement I perceived?
Only other stuff on mine is the hard hot pipe installed, coldside pipe and intercooler. But nothing really made as much of a perceivable difference as the exhaust.

Last edited:
Hi ericcs,

I also installed a 3" on my car, but I did notice a very noticeable improvement. Surprised you are not noticing the same.

Perhaps the DPF on the stock exhaust was getting blocked on my car, hence the improvement I perceived?
Only other stuff on mine is the hard hot pipe installed, coldside pipe and intercooler. But nothing really made as much of a perceivable difference as the exhaust.

i must admit, there is a noticeable difference in performance, definitely comes on earlier, and much smoother and linear. i think in the beginning i was driving it like i did with the standard exhaust to compare fuel consumption.

I'm running a diesel smart module and dawes valve on mine, factory sensor goes to 21psi (via touque App) for a bit before it cuts fuel. running 29ish (Auber gauge) psi at the turbo. standard exhaust intake at this stage.

Latest posts

Back